What is a water-dispersion paint: struggling with errors
Table of contents
1 What waterborne paint
- 1.1 Overview
- 1.2 basic quality
2 Types and properties
- 2.1 On the basis of PVA
- 2.2 Acrylic paints
- 2.3 latex
- 2.4 Silicone
- 3 Output
You do not know how to choose paint for the repair? You are confusing the names of compounds that are similar in purpose? I will tell you that is a waterborne paint, what species it is, and what properties. I'm sure a mystery to you no more.
Waterborne paint - eco-friendly and durable coating
What waterborne paint
What does the word "dispersion"? It is a mixture of small particles which are in a liquid medium in a suspended state.
In the case of paint, the dispersion means a mixture of polymers and the pigments are uniformly distributed in the water. Unlike oil, pentaphthalic and other colors, these particles are not dissolved in the solvent (water). The resulting dispersion was easy to separate from the dispersion medium, i.e. water.
The oil droplets in water - Bright example aqueous dispersion
In this and built all of the principle of water-dispersion paints:
- after application of the dispersion is separated from the dispersion medium;
- the latter simply evaporates and the particles therein are polymerized (hardened) and a solid film is formed on the surface.
This is the secret that the water-based ink after the application may be completely waterproof. However, not all of them have this quality.
Water soluble coatings after drying can be resistant to water
What is latex paint, which is so often compared to waterborne? This emulsion prepared from water, pigments and fine particles of polymers.
In other words, water paints and water based paints - these are different names for the same paint material.
Whence, then, come from a comparison of the same material, and why at the same time are different characteristics? But the fact is that the waterborne paint includes whole group of different paints, different type polymers, additives and so forth.
Therefore, when such comparisons:
- water-based commonly referred polyvinyl paint, i.e. PVA-based;
- water-dispersion - acrylic.
Waterborne paint is completely non-toxic and odorless
Regardless of the type of polymer, water-dispersion paints all have some common characteristics:
- Environmentally friendly. Because the solvent is water, these coatings have little or no smell and is completely environmentally friendly. Only some masonry paints may contain harmful additives, but in any case they are much less toxic than other types of paints;
Water soluble dyes can be used even in children's rooms and kindergartens
- The high rate of drying. The drying time of the coating is equal to the water evaporation time. Usually it takes 2-4 hours. More detailed information typically contains instructions on the packaging;
- Low coverage. Water soluble coating hiding power somewhat inferior oil, alkyd or, for example, a polyurethane paint. Therefore, they are always applied in two or three layers;
Waterborne paint lies a thin layer - it allows you to save an invoice for painting wooden surfaces
- Lay down a thin layer. On the one hand, this quality allows for painting wooden surfaces retain the texture of wood. But on the other hand - the thin layer of paint is not able to hide small defects and irregularities;
- UV resistance. Coatings retain the original color during the entire period of operation;
Water-dispersion paints can be painted and plastic foam
- Good adhesion. Paints fit well even on smooth surfaces. However, before painting still need to put their hands primer;
- Possibility of tinting. Adding pigment tinting called (caramel) in the paint. This allows for absolutely any color or shade cover.
Water soluble coatings can be tinted
Many novice when performing painting operations allow a blunder - because of the relatively low opacity of paint, trying to cause it thickly. In fact, the paint should go to a thin uniform film. If necessary, better to increase the number of layers, but the thickness of the layer.
The rest of the properties are dependent on the type of paint, so familiarize them below.
Types and properties
On sale you can find water dispersion paints the following types:
In advance I say that all the comparisons of these paints is very conditional, because the properties are more dependent on the brand of paint, or rather its composition, not the type of polymer. Since acrylic paints from one manufacturer can be much more expensive and higher quality than latex or silicone from the other, although the former is traditionally considered to be of lower quality and more cheaper.
Therefore, use the tips in this or that situation, acrylic, silicone or latex paint in advance not true. But, nevertheless, the type of polymer to some extent, still affects the properties of the paint. Therefore further shows summary of their qualities.
PVA paint resistant to abrasion and moisture
On the basis of PVA
Paints based on polyvinyl acetate dispersions are, except when regardless of manufacturer and brand coating properties about the same.
Dignity. The main advantage of these paints is low cost. They are cheaper than even a relatively inexpensive acrylic coatings.
- Instability to moisture. Therefore, the scope of application is limited only dry premises;
- Non-resistant to abrasion. Covering much of Melita.
Polyvinyl acetate coatings are typically used for painting ceilings
Therefore PVA coating typically used only for painting ceilings in dry conditions. And they found on sale recently extremely rare.
Cost. Prices start from 40-50 rubles per kilogram.
Acrylic coatings have higher characteristics than Polivinilacetate
Dispersion acrylic paints today are the most popular, as They have good characteristics, and thus are usually cheaper than other waterborne coatings.
Acrylic paint can be used even in the bathroom
- Resistance to moisture. Many acrylics withstand even direct contact with water;
- Versatility. There are acrylic coating is not only for domestic work, but also for outdoor. Some brands of universal, ie, It can be used for interior and exterior use;
Acrylic paints can be used for facades
- Resistance to abrasion. This also extends the range of application of the coating.
disadvantages It depends on the specific brands. The aqueous acrylic dispersion may not be sufficiently resistant to moisture, abrasion, etc. Therefore, when buying you must pay attention to the specifications.
In the photo - interior paint Caparol Malerit, with enhanced durability
|Ceresit CT42 (universal) 15 l||4150|
|Finncolor (exterior) 9 l||1790|
|Caparol Malerit (interior) 2.5 L||1350|
|Vitrulan Textile Glass (interior) 12.5 l||6050|
|Parade W4 (interior) 10l||2600|
Latex paint has high elasticity and durability
Widespread in recent years received a latex-based paint. However, to this latex, ie juice of rubber, they are irrelevant. In this case, manufacturers refer to a modified acrylic latex, which differs from conventional acrylic high elasticity.
Latex coating formed on the surface of the matt film
- Cover the small flaws. Can hide crack depth and width 1-2 mm;
- High wear resistance. Typically, the latex is more resistant to abrasion;
- Durability. As a result, a higher wear resistance, this type of paint is generally more durable.
Latex painted facade does not lose its color for the life of the
The rest of the same quality as that of the acrylic coating. In particular, they can be used for interior and exterior work.
Disadvantages. a higher value should be made of the downsides, compared with acrylic compositions.
Premium paint - Tikkurila EURO 7 A
|Tikkurila EURO 7 A (interior) 9 l||4400|
|DUFA PREMIUM SATIN (interior) 2.5 L||1200|
|Lakra (exterior) 3 l||300|
|Caparol TopLatex 7 (for internal work) 9.4 l||2800|
|Diessner Diesco Latex Satin (interior) 12.5 l||8 150|
Silicone paints have a dirt-repelling effect
Silicone paints the most expensive and quality.
- Higher flexibility. Silicone coating even better overlap surface flaws than latex;
- dirt repellent. Due to this quality painted surface less easily contaminated and cleaned;
- Moisture resistance. This quality refers to the majority of compositions based on silicone;
- Durability. Generally, the most durable silicone coating;
- Silky matt surface. As a result, the coating looks attractive and noble.
Silicone paint Ceresit CT 48 can be used not only for painting the facades, but also the in-house work
|ISOMAT-SILICONE (outer) 3 l||1250|
|Tikkurila Finngard (outer) 18 l||10000|
|Ceresit CT 48 (Universal) 15 l||4600|
|Caparol CapaSilan (interior) 2.5 L||2200|
Disadvantages. As in the case of latex, the drawback is the high cost.
On sale you can find acrylic-latex, latex, silicone, and other similar types of paints. However, these terms are usually a marketing ploy, and not give any information about the properties and characteristics of the coating.
Finally, once again, that when choosing pay attention first of all the characteristics of the coating rather than the polymer type that is specified on the package.
Now you know that is a waterborne paint, and where it can be used. Additionally, watch the video in this article. And if you have questions, please write them in the comments, and I will gladly answer.