Homemade smokehouse smoked - 5 inexpensive assembly options
Table of contents
- 1 A bit of theory
2 How to self-assemble smokehouse smoked
- 2.1 Option №1: Capital structure of brick
- 2.2 Option №2: Smokehouse of building bucket
- 2.3 Option №3: If there is no man's barrel
- 2.4 Option №4: Smokehouse of gas cylinders
- 2.5 Variant №5: Smoker-brazier of a metal sheet
- 3 A few words about smoked
- 4 Output
In this article I will discuss in detail how to make a homemade smokehouse smoked his hands in 5 variants. Models, of course, there's more, but I chose the ones that really make your own.
Smoked fish on a fishing trip with his own hands.
A bit of theory
Everyone knows that smoking is cool and hot. It is believed that foods cooked Cold have a delicate aroma and delicious taste, but if you honestly say, it's not for everybody.
Technologies differ in that cold process for preparing the product of preparing at least 12 - 15 hours and hot smoking lasts a maximum 2.5 - 3 hour and then it is in the case of cooking meat or hard fat. Fish and soft fat may be to smoke at all for 30 - 40 minutes.
Furthermore, the temperature of cold smoking should not exceed 50 ° C. While the user instructs smoked hold the temperature in the working chamber in the range from 70 to 120C.
As regards the structure itself smokehouse, the method for hot working chamber is located directly above the combustion chamber, which in fact allows to keep a high temperature.
Of course, there are smoke generators are installed side by side and are connected to the working chamber through a tube, but in any case, the distance does not exceed half a meter. On one of these models, I'll discuss in this article.
In the process of cold smoke chamber to the furnace with the smoke generator is laid pipe or channel length of 2 - 3 to 10 - 12 meters depending on the type of design. As a result, the smoke comes before the product has cooled.
Scheme smokehouse for smoked and smoked.
In general, all the smoker smoked can be fitted in two ways:
- A more common and, incidentally, more economical option is considered to be construction, when the bottom we have installed the furnace in which the fire is burning. Above this furnace is mounted a metal sheet which smoldering sawdust and wood chips. Smoke same, which rises from these chips, enters the working chamber and the product is smoked;
- the metal sheet is not present, the smoke rises in the working chamber directly from the smoldering coal burner in the second embodiment. Such a device is most often found in Mangalia, smokehouses. It's not that bad, just too much fuel goes away and you need to make sure that the embers smouldered rather than burned.
How to self-assemble smokehouse smoked
As I have said manufacturing smokehouse creative process and every handyman brings him something of their own, so there are many design options. I'll tell you about the most common and, in my opinion, an interesting model.
Delicacies at home.
In this case, we do not take into account the production models and electric smokehouse. And things like "smoking" of meat and fish with the help of "liquid smoke" I do believe it is inadmissible. The question will be exclusively about how to make a smokehouse.
Option №1: Capital structure of brick
If you are an avid fan of smoked or is a part of your business, then surely it is better to build a capital brick structure, because such a home smokehouse will last more than one decade.
- Dimensions smokehouse for smoked brick is not big, industrial options we not take into account. On average, for large families meter cupboard, a meter is enough. Even the neighbors will suffice;
- Since it is a brick structure, so it is necessary to lay a little groundwork. Personally, I'm in such cases lays the strip foundation to a depth of 30 cm. As usual, we dug trench poured sand and gravel bed of 100 mm, installed shuttering laid reinforcement and poured concrete;
The brick smoke house with his own hands.
- I have seen recommendations that the entire structure must be built from a corpulent refractory bricks. If you have such a brick missing, then you can do so, and;
- A general heat-resistant material should be built only with podduvalom furnace, the working chamber can be spread by any brick. Temperature at 120C for block material is not critical;
The furnace for the smokehouse
- Too large firebox is not worth doing, the maximum width is 30 - 40 cm. Naturally we are below the grate, and under them, is the camera for ventilation, to put it simply, the ash-pit;
- The photo shows a variant, not comprising above the combustion chamber of the sheet for display chips. The owners chose him because the construction height is quite large, on the order of 2 m and it will be easier to maintain the desired temperature in the chamber. Whether the construction of smaller, with a sheet of wood chips to smoke it would be more convenient;
The compound of the working chamber to the furnace
- Almost beneath the arch of the working chamber, we have established the bars for hanging the product. The bars have such an array must be at least 6 mm, ideally 8 - 10 mm;
Grate for a suspension of the product under the arch of the working chamber
- To dense smoke permanently enveloped product in the chimney, it is desirable to make the latch, it It will be convenient to regulate not only the concentration of smoke but also the temperature in the working chamber, which is more important. If during the construction of the latch time has not remembered that on the chimney can just throw a piece of burlap.
Sacking on the oil lamp chimney
Option №2: Smokehouse of building bucket
I was not in vain mentioned construction bucket. In this case, we will build a smokehouse from large metal pails, which are often sold as paint, plaster or anything like that.
For a small garden, this option simply fabulous.
- For the construction we will need 2 large buckets of different diameters. The walls have buckets must be flat (parallel). First we need to measure from the smaller pail bottom about 100 mm grinder or cut with scissors, metal fill, and the sector openings therein;
- In the remaining trimmed bucket we cut a square window, it will be our improvised furnace, in which we will load the wood;
Improvised burner for smokehouses of construction buckets.
- Now take the metal cover from the larger diameter bucket, turn over it and cover with a lid that our furnace;
Cover with a lid of the furnace inverted bucket.
- In this case, the cap is thus a metal sheet, which will smolder sawdust and wood chips. Since the temperature inside the processing chamber in this model is not adjustable, it is better to use a large chips or even cut twigs;
Chips on the lid to form smoke.
- Next we need to insulate from smoldering wood chips product and thus ensure the smooth flow of smoke into the working chamber. To do this, we will use previously made of the bottom of the bucket cap with stuffed holes in it;
Cover with chips hood with holes for the smoke.
- But right on the hood of putting the product can not be. The metal is too thin and can be very warm, plus the fat must drain somewhere, so a product, in this case, fat, we puts a curved grating;
Laid bacon on the grill.
- Now all this construction we serve a bucket, and the bucket wall part of the groove "native" cap and smoking chamber we get sealed. Top to make sure we put more additional load, and then kindle the fire and wait until it is burned is about 30 - 40 minutes.
The product comes to readiness.
There is one important point. Since in the chamber no ventilation is not provided at all, the smoke will be very concentrated, it is not desirable for the product. Therefore, I advise bacon wrapped in a clean x / cotton fabric, it will take care of all the fumes.
Ready, smoked bacon slice.
At home, you can even make mini smokehouse from ordinary galvanized buckets.
As you know, these buckets are tapered:
- At the bottom of the bucket sprinkled sawdust, then inserted into the lattice, which will be the container for collecting fat and close to the top of the set, another grid for the product itself;
- After which the product is placed on the upper grille, bucket covered with a lid and put on fire.
Scheme smokehouse of conventional galvanized bucket.
But in such miniaturized designs temperature inside the bucket and the product is too large, in fact, not smoked, and baked. Plus, at higher temperatures the zinc begins to burn and actively evaporate, respectively, your fragrant smoked product is slowly but surely absorbs the poison.
Option №3: If there is no man's barrel
If you are in "bins Motherland" there is untapped in the economy of a barrel of 100 - 200 liters, then it can also be easy to make a smokehouse for smoked their own hands.
In this further example of 150l barrel sprung a leak and that it is not thrown away, we cut grinder leaky bottom and welded pipe to the rest of the square smooth metal sheet.
As a result, the sheet turned out even better because it is more convenient to put the barrel on the bricks.
Barrel with cut top welded to a metal sheet.
- Since the welding machine was on hand for the convenience of the bottom barrel we cut grinder box and welded to it the door on its hinges with a latch. Through this door is convenient to load and clean out the rotten wood chips ash;
The door from the bottom to load sawdust.
- At the bottom 3 is set conventional bricks, they will serve as a support for a container, in which the fat dripping during smoking products;
Barrel inside with bricks on the bottom.
- As a container for collecting fat you can use anything you want. But burnt fat is very difficult to wash off, so I recommend to take some old basin, which in that case and not throw a pity;
Set inside the bowl on bricks to collect fat.
- Of course, in the middle of our barrels can be drilled a few holes and hit the inside metal pins, which will be convenient to put the grill for fat, meat and fish. But we decided to keep things simple and just hung product on skewers;
Tie bacon on jute twine and hung on skewers.
- To cover adjacent to the edges of the barrel tightly on top of our barrel, we have covered the bag, and then put on his cap and held her burden;
Cover with a barrel bag, cover and put on top of a brick.
- The preparatory phase of this completed, further down loaded chips, under the barrel is expanded fire. Since operating capacity is quite large, the product is smoked at an optimum temperature. The result will be better, but this time the process will take longer.
The end result after 2.5 hours.
Option №4: Smokehouse of gas cylinders
Large household gas cylinders is also possible to use for making the smoker in the home. Moreover, such a construction is obtained much more advanced in terms of technology and beautiful in terms of aesthetics.
Such smokehouse good by the fact that its working principle allows to smoothly adjust the temperature in the working chamber.
Plus it's not just a smokehouse, and also a good BBQ.
- Initially, a gas cylinder, we will need to cut off the valve. Technologically, this work is not complicated, but we are dealing with an old gas bottle and not the fact that the inside was definitely not gas, so it's better to be safe;
- For this model, we need a 2 cylinder. Before grasping for a hacksaw, try to unscrew the gas cylinder neck wrench. I have to say, make it difficult to unscrew the probability is not great;
- If you unscrew the neck did not work, take a hacksaw and their own hands to slowly cut away the valve;
Hacksaw the cut valve.
Do not try to cut off the valve using the grinder or drill a closed cylinder electric drill. Remember that if there would be gas, any spark could cause an explosion.
- In the old gas cylinder may remain condensate having a specific smell. Therefore, we fill the bottles with water and leave for a day so that you can then wash them inside;
Filling bottles with water.
- Next, we need to cut the bottom, the water is not necessary to drain, just put the tank horizontally and gently cut off his grinder. Underneath should substitute some capacity, then to make the dirty water away, because if it will flood your yard will stink for a long time;
Cut away the bottom of the water-filled balloon.
- One cylinder, we need to make the smoke generator and the second will be the working chamber smokehouse and barbecue concurrently. First, we will deal smoke generator, this measure out 30 cm from the upper edge of the container (by a weld), and cut off;
Measure out 30 cm from the top seam and cut.
- Since the ash from this construct is not provided, it will perform the role of vent valve. We will do it from the bottom, so I cut out the window;
Bottom cut out a rectangular window for ventilation.
- Exactly the same window cut out in the second cylinder, approximate dimensions of 100x100 mm holes;
Rectangular window for ventilation in the second cylinder.
- Further welds loop under the cover of the smoke generator, as well as the inside of small welds four corners for stacking them removable grate;
Welded hinges and corners for stacking grate.
- Ventilation windows on both cylinders fully open should not be. In order to be able to regulate the air supply into the tanks, welds on the sides of each window guides. The guides do a profile of the pipe as a result of ventilation becomes adjustable;
Welded bolt on the ventilation windows.
- As I said before, the main processing chamber is made from a second solid cylinder. To do this, it cut through a top hatch, which we then welded hinges. As in the case of the smoke generator, working inside the tank are welded at the corners grate;
There is a subtlety upper hatch as smoke generator, and the working chamber to be reinforced, not led to the temperature. But while you weld reinforcement tube sheet again can lead. To avoid this, I temporarily pull together the edges of the sheet wire.
Contractible wire cover that did not lead welding.
- But the working tank is much more smoke generator, in addition, we plan to use it as a classic barbecue, so the air blowing system to do more perfect;
- we decided to just this task. We took a corner, nasverlili holes in it and weld it on top of the ventilation window, thereby protecting it from the ashes. As a result, air in a brazier will flow the entire length of the tank bottom;
Box smoke generator - view from inside the processing chamber.
- Then we cut a hole from the bottom of the working chamber and the top of the smoke generator, after which the two chambers are joined, and the place of the joint scald;
Dymogenerator welded to the main working chamber.
- On the other hand the working chamber at the top of the chimney we do. For this cut the angled pipe itself chimney hole cut in the tank under this tube and weld the two parts of the structure together;
The opening in the chamber under the chimney pipe.
- So you do not cover the chimney burlap, we immediately welded onto the upper part of the pipe valve and kind of umbrella. In this case, the flap will be pushed aside;
The damper pipe.
- For convenience, the lid when you open do not sink back and did not create too much stress on the hinges, we welded in the region hinges on the 2 stops on the smoke generator and the main working vessel;
The focus for the working chamber cover.
There is one more detail, the working chamber cover is quite wide and it is better to install two handles for opening at the edges. The fact is that if you weld the handle 1 in the center, at the opening of the heat from the tank can burn hands, and you have the ability to keep the lid on the edge.
Appearance of the smokehouse 2 gas cylinder.
- Assembly itself, in principle over, now it is necessary to restore luster. To the old paint was burned, both tanks will need to heat at idle. Then set the nozzle to a metal cord-brushed on grinders and all we clean to bare metal and then degreased surface;
- For coloring we used black and silver paint, but both of these compounds should be used for high-temperature surfaces. Basic black paint we applied in 2 layers, if you make a single layer, it will not be so nice shine. Serebryanka used only to emphasize parts;
Ready painted smokehouse.
Variant №5: Smoker-brazier of a metal sheet
In contrast to the construction of two gas cylinders, smokehouse from metal sheets to cook much easier. As in the previous case, the tool we need to Bulgarian and welding machine.
Settings-smokehouse barbecue from metal sheets.
As for materials, then apart from the metal sheet, which, incidentally, should be taken not thinner than 3 mm, we still need a corner 35 mm, for arranging the flue pipe and rod for hangers, section 6 mm.
Chamber sizes and doors smokehouse barbecue-sheet metal.
The principle of operation of this embodiment smokehouse-mangala exactly the same as that of the structure, consisting of two gas cylinders. But be honest, messing around with sheets of less than cylinders.
The direction of movement of smoke.
Ventilation windows here, as a rule, do not cut, instead of them at the bottom of the walls just nasverlivaetsya series of holes.
The width of the box and the air vents.
Top barbecue welded hinged lid. The photo shows the construction of a semi-circular shape of the cover, but not necessarily, the cover can be smooth. Any functional load semicircular cap does not carry with it a more comfortable work.
Distance to the suspended rod.
As in the first embodiment brick near the chimney welded rods for suspending the product. the chimney, it is desirable to equip the valve itself, so you do not have to cover it with sackcloth.
Chimney in the smokehouse.
A few words about smoked
Whatever the structure in your smoker, and perhaps the most important point is the choice of wood for wood chips. So, preference should be given to fruit trees - cherry, apple, apricot and the like.
Conifers and birch used absolutely can not, get them a product with a bitter aftertaste. A best embodiment of juniper is considered.
Range of chips for smoking.
Online tips to make frequent smokehouse from an old refrigerator. This option is good, but only for the smoker oriented cold smoking. The walls of the refrigerator and a heat insulator laid high temperature is not desirable for it.
And finally, a few short recipes for smoking different products.
For smoked meat and fat can be treated differently, but the fish, especially mackerel hot smoked, I like most of the population of our great nation.
Cook it is not difficult:
- Choose a good, dense mackerel, preferably larger. Of course if it is frozen, then thaw it, rub with salt and spices, good spices for this purpose is now quite;
- Then leave the fish in a cool place for a day, to soak, then you can send it in the smokehouse, the smoking process takes 20 - 30 minutes.
Smoked mackerel for myself.
It is believed that the best wood for fish is alder. Plus, the fish should not just put on the grill, and underneath it podstelit twigs of apple trees and currant leaves.
To smoke the chicken it must be first well washed, lightly wipe wipes lard and garlic. Just incised carcass in different places and puts these cuts garlic cloves.
Continue mixing salt and spices and this mixture is rubbed chicken inside and outside. Marinate in a cool place to be chicken per day, but it is better to marinate in the foil. A day shoot foil, tie legs and wings together and send the carcass in the smokehouse. Hot-smoked chicken less than an hour.
Harvesting of fat and meat in exactly the same blank Chicken. Only desirable fat lard with garlic and meat this is amateur. Natural spice mix buy a particular product. And do not try to take too expensive, imported bags with spices, the experience they laid a preservative that I personally do not like.
A complete range of products in its own smokehouse.
For me smokehouse smoked an opportunity to prepare the product, not only qualitatively but also quickly. Which option to choose from the proposed above, decide for yourself. The photo and video in this article, many of the processes are shown graphically, and if something is not clear, please write in the comments talk.
Smoked meat from our own smokehouse.