Shelving in the garage - 2 options of designs that you can make yourself
Table of contents
1 How to make the design of their own
- 1.1 Option 1 - construction of the corner
- 1.2 Option 2 - wood constructions
- 2 Output
You do not want to buy expensive ready-made shelves in the garage? Make them yourself, using the materials at hand and using the recommendations of our review. You need to spend a little time to get comfortable and reliable storage system.
Photo: Shelves and racks help keep everything at your fingertips
You can buy plastic containers and organize almost professional storage system
How to make the design of their own
We consider two variants of racks:
- Constructions of metal angle;
- storage of wood.
You need to read the information below and select the solution that is more suitable for your garage.
Durability - the main advantage of metal constructions
Option 1 - construction of the corner
This type of shelving is reliable and durable. The design can serve for decades and requires minimal maintenance. We will understand what you need from the materials on which the information is presented in tabular form.
Area - the main material of manufacture in this case
|Material||Recommendations for choosing a|
|Metal corner||Embodiments taken size 25x25 mm and more. Everything is simple: the more powerful the corner, the stronger will be the design and the more weight it can bear. To determine in advance that will be stored on the shelves and, based on this, try to trim angle|
|Material for shelves||This may be chipboard, board or metal sheet. The most commonly used first two options in view of the availability and low cost. The thickness of the material should be such that the shelf does not bend under the weight of things that will be based on it|
|Primer and paint||And metal and wood must be carefully processed to protect the surface from moisture and other adverse effects. Select compounds that are resistant to oils, as in the garage working conditions difficult|
|fasteners||Essential for fixing shelves and frame assembly, if you do not weld it. I recommend the main carrier of the joining by welding, bolts and flange mount|
Shelf excellent plywood with a special wear-resistant coating
Before doing a rack in the garage, you need to determine its optimal size.
There should be guided by the following recommendations:
- rack length is determined depending on the size of your garage. Some make a shelf on the wall, and someone so much construction is not necessary. If you decide to build a structure in the length of the wall, the indent on the edges 20 cm. This will simplify the assembly of the structure;
If on the one side are switches and sockets, it is necessary to leave 40-50 cm of free space for easy access
- The height of the structure is usually done at 40-50 cm below the ceiling. If you have a garage very high, do rack so high that you feel comfortable using it;
- shelf width should not be more than 1 meter. The distance may be less than if the design will be provided by the high load;
- The depth should not be more than 60 cm. It is better to make them generally 50 cm to provide easy access to everything that you will keep;
- The height of the shelves may vary, the most convenient option 30-50 cm. Lower shelf can be made taller to store large items there.
The height of the shelves should be such as to ensure ease of access to all things
Let us examine what tools you will need:
- Bulgarka for cutting and stripping of the metal;
Cutting the corner is most convenient Bulgarian
- Tape measure and pencil to mark;
- Welding apparatus for connecting elements (if you do not know to cook, it is easier to attract a welder);
- Drill and set of drill bits for metal;
- Hacksaw on a tree.
Metal shelves for the garage are made as follows:
- Measure the place where the structure will be located. You need to determine its maximum dimensions, to do this on the basis of the project;
- It is necessary to draw a sketch of the future construction. No need to be a designer, the main thing - to outline all the options of the rack so that you can accurately calculate the amount of materials and a clear idea of the final result;
The project greatly simplifies the calculations and erection
- Further it is possible to start cutting a metal bracket on the set parameters. To work you will need to Bulgarian and several discs of metal. You can order the cutting elements at the correct size when buying the material, then your workflow is greatly simplified;
- First, you need to assemble the frame structure. To this end, the posts are welded cross members. The most important thing - to put the elements exactly (always Gaugeable diagonal) and cook them securely;
If you do not know how to cook, then prepare all the parts of the structure in advance and invite the welder to work, he quickly spent. It will take half an hour, a lot of money you do not spend.
Welding work without experience is difficult to hold
- To ready the uprights are attached transverse elements that will keep the shelves. To do this, in the construction of drilled bolt holes, then all elements are collected. Area under the shelves should be positioned as shown in the photo below;
Shelf will simply be put in a corner, and it can not be fixed
- Next, you need to work with a metal frame. He cleaned of dust and debris, if there are nodules of metal by welding, they are stripped. Then, the surface is degreased and the paint applied to it, it is better to carry out processing in two layers to ensure reliability. Use formulations 3 to 1 to protect the metal from corrosion;
The design necessarily painted
- At least the shelf cut from a suitable material. They need to stain or soak the protective structure. Then they are put in place and the structure can be used for other purposes.
Such a rack will withstand even high loads
Option 2 - wood constructions
Now we look at how to make the racks in the garage of the tree. This option is good that the price of the material is low and it is very easy to handle. You do not need welding, everything is much easier. As for the cons, then the tree is less reliable and the batch processing without deteriorating rapidly.
Wooden shelves can raise anyone
From the materials we need the following:
Use only for dry lumber
- The bar section 60x40 or more structures for uprights;
- Bar size 40x40 for crossmembers;
- Wall thickness of 32 mm for shelves;
- Fasteners, I recommend using self-tapping screws as a more reliable option;
- The paint or spray for the treatment of wood.
From the tool you need the following:
- Hacksaw or electric tool for cutting wood;
- Screwdriver to tighten the screws (if you have nails that need a hammer);
- Tape measure and pencil to mark the elements;
- Brush for applying a protective composition.
Without measuring tool can not be present workflow
Instructions for the work consists of the following steps:
The scheme works is simple enough
- To start to measure the place under construction and determine the optimum dimensions of the stack. All requirements described in the section above are also valid in this case. construction height should not be higher than 2500 mm. On the basis of all the information made a sketch, which determine the size of the elements;
Size is determined by the actual size of the garage
- When all the parameters are known, you can start cutting elements. It's simple, and you can easily cope even with a hand hacksaw. It is important to cut the ends of the perpendicular, especially when it comes to the design of the legs;
- Going to rack stand for this support are set exactly and fixed cross members between them. For reliability, can be used when working metal angles, the size is selected depending on the width of the fastened members. smorezov length must be such that the fasteners sign over the middle of the bar rack;
So look stand in finished form
- Cut on the shelf board, and then built. It's very important to have a rack vertically (check their status level) and measured diagonally. If done carefully, you will get a reliable design that without any problems even withstand heavy loads;
When assembling it is important to evenly expose all elements of design
- After assembly rack processed protective structure of at least two layers. This can be as paint and colorless impregnation. It is important to protect the wood from moisture and pests.
The finished design is necessarily treated with a preservative
For added reliability of its design can be attached to the wall using dowels and corner fast installation. This fixation eliminate tipping rack.
I am sure that after reading this review, anyone can make a reliable and durable shelving. Videos in this article will help to better understand some of the important points of the working process. If you have questions on the subject, then write them in the comments under review, together we will find a solution to any problem.