Hammer paints, metal from rust protection that decorates
Table of contents
1 What kind of paint?
- 1.1 The main components and their functions
- 1.2 material benefits
- 1.3 Disadvantages hammer pigments
2 Using paint
- 2.1 Where the material is used
- 2.2 application technology
- 3 Secrets and Tips
- 4 conclusion
To protect the metal from rust and at the same time make the item an attractive, perfect enamel with hammer effect
If during the work there is a need to protect metal parts from corrosion, it means better than the paint with a hammer effect is not found. When properly applied coating is resistant, durable and quite beautiful, because it is used primarily where the workpieces are in sight.
We analyze the characteristics of the hammer paint, and then give recommendations for its effective application.
What kind of paint?
The main components and their functions
The compositions used for coating metal surfaces differ significantly from paints on wood, concrete, plaster and so on. D. They not only need to have good adhesion (adhesion to the base), but also the duty to protect the substrate from corrosion. Otherwise, the metal base prorzhaveet fast enough, and the paint will fall off with a layer of oxide.
Texture protective and decorative coating resembles coinage - hence the name
Selection of compositions for the treatment of metal parts is huge today. But if you want the product to get even and beautiful, I would advise to stay in the so-called hammer paint.
Hammer enamel - is a complex composition, which is focused primarily on the finishing of metal surfaces. Its name is due to a characteristic surface texture - after drying the product looks as if covered with stamping. The main features of such paints - gloss surface water-resistant, high adhesion strength with the base and resistance to external influences, which is close to absolute.
Diagram showing the structure of paint
Incidentally, a hammer can be painted with paint and wood, and concrete, and other materials. The result will be also quite acceptable, but the durability (as compared with metal components) will decrease due to the lower strength bases.
These features are due to paint quality of its composition:
- The basis - polymer complex of acrylic, alkyd, epoxy, and alkyd-styrene components. In fact, the enamel is obtained, but with an enormous safety margin after polymerization.
- additives - silicone resin and pigment-metallics. The first material to provide the flexibility of the substrate, the latter responsible for the decorative and mechanical properties of the hardened paint. Furthermore, silicone ensures water resistance and chemical inertness of the material.
Additives and fillers provide coating gloss and weather resistance
- fillers - glass grit, aluminum powder, zinc oxide and other corrosion additives. These materials promote effective adhesion even on smooth metallic surfaces, in addition, they provide dyes hammer effect.
This structure almost all hammer paint on the market. Of course, the composition of additives from different manufacturers may differ, and as a result the difference in performance parameters obtained sufficiently large. In this general quality - moisture resistance, corrosion resistance and good adhesion - usually persist even inexpensive formulations.
The formulations differ significantly density because it is desirable to use a solvent during application of the spray
Popularity hammer paints among manufacturers of various metal products, and among the artists in other fields due to their very obvious advantages.
Advantages of the material:
When painting gates and fences atmospheric resistance of the coating comes to the fore
- Atmospheric resistance. After polymerization, the coating becomes watertight protecting metal base securely against moisture. In addition, the paint is resistant to changes in temperature and prolonged exposure to ultraviolet radiation.
- Thermal stability. The composition coated on the metal, is capable of withstanding heating to 80 ° C without delamination and deformation.
There fireproofing modification hammer enamels, which carry higher temperatures. Because of this, in case of fire and other extreme metal influences significantly longer retain strength.
- Mechanical resistance. The polymerized enamel tolerates impact force, friction and the like. D. Through this life of painted products increased several times in comparison with other compounds.
- Corrosion protection. High tightness paint layer reliably insulates the metal from oxygen. As a result, not only prevents corrosion, but existing rust lesions do not increase in size.
The material is indispensable wherever you need to provide protection against corrosion
- Fast drying. Initial polymerization takes no more than two or three hours - after this time applying the paint completely ceases to stick. This greatly reduces the time required for the processing of metal structures.
Apart from the purely functional advantages, I would note also the visual appeal of the material:
The combination of relief and gloss - a big plus
- coating is embossed, but glossy and sufficiently pleasant to the touch;
- hammer color compositions are quite varied. Of course, the range can not be compared with a variety of colors of acrylic paints or household enamels, but the scope of the hammer paint selection is sufficient.
And the texture and palette pleasing to the eye - it is also a plus
Disadvantages hammer pigments
Here it is necessary to talk not about the disadvantages, as such, but rather on some operational features. These nuances to consider when selecting the material and work with him - then the unpleasant consequences can be avoided.
Scrape with a metal composition - hard and long
- The high strength of adhesion. The disadvantage of it becomes when we have to clean off the compound with a metal base. Pick an effective solvent for the pigment is almost impossible, and the tools to scrape off the material - a long and difficult.
- Corrosion protection only with continuous application. If NOT, leave at least a small portion, the rust of it may gradually move under the layer of paint. You will learn about this only when the enamel around the problem area will begin to peel from the base.
- Difficulty in mechanical drawing. When working with a spray gun need to set the pressure at the level of 4-6 atmospheres - part would then go to a more or less steady. If ink supplied at a lower pressure, the inevitable "spitting", omissions and drips.
For automated application desirable to use professional equipment - Household gun can not cope
- Price. There is such material is quite expensive. The average price per liter ranges from 400 (Moloteks and other domestic counterparts) to 800-1200 rubles (Hammerite).
Compositions such as Hammerite, are expensive - but also serve as a very long time
liter of paint is sufficient for staining of 8-12 square meters per single application by roller or brush.
Where the material is used
Scope hammer enamel is quite extensive. The compositions are used for protective and decorative treatment:
To forged metal does not rust, it is just such compositions and coated
- wrought iron art products;
- gates and fences;
- construction steel;
Almost all high-quality metal door handled it with hammer effect enamel
- buildings of machines and instruments, including experiencing vibration loads;
- metal furniture parts;
The material is suitable for painting furniture used outdoors
- agricultural machinery;
- garden tools;
- Communications outdoors - drain pipes, chutes, hoppers, etc...
Hammer paint can and paint cars - especially those who are experiencing the impact of harsh weather conditions
In addition, hammer enamel can be colored plastic, glass, solid wood, tiles and other materials. The main thing that the foundation under the paint does not strongly deformed, or delamination will occur very quickly.
The right part of the table top is aged it with a hammer composition
Hammer enamel fairly easy to apply by hand. For painting we need:
To clean the surface before painting should be used special formulations
- Paint composition itself.
- The solvent for degreasing the surface.
- Paint thinner (if you want to make the composition more fluid).
- Wire brush or sandpaper for cleaning.
- Brush or roller.
Instructions for dyeing:
To improve the adhesion of the metal base handle brush with steel bristles or sandpaper.
Yes, hammer paint may be applied on rusty metal, but it is a deep rust, so that all that is peeled, it is necessary to remove.
degreasing of parts.
Use of anti-solvent or degreasing composition of metal parts. For application better to use a lint-free cloth.
In parallel with the degreasing and other contaminants are removed, which also improves the quality of the painting.
Capacity paint opened, and then thoroughly mixed composition. The pigment should be uniform both in color and in texture - no lumps, films and foreign inclusions.
When applied via spray gun or airbrush may need dilution enamel. To this add to the ink and solvent mix.
Depositing a first layer.
Using a brush with natural bristles, causes the first coat of paint to the metal. First paint over the corners, crevices and other difficult places, and then process the flat areas.
Laid a thin layer of paint, carefully rubbing. We try not to leave any gaps or large runs.
Applying a second layer.
The second layer is laid after the first polymerization. The manufacturer recommends to wait at least 4 hours, but as practice shows, in two hours hammer enamel does not stick to any fingers or a brush.
After application of the second layer surface must be dried thoroughly, being careful not to expose its temperature changes. You also need to protect the fresh paint from dust, moisture and drafts.
Secrets and Tips
Despite the simplicity of the application of technology to work with hammer compositions have minor tweaks. Those in which I am sure (! Tested in practice), I will share with you:
- Paint in dry weather. When applying hammer compositions do not like moisture, because work on a rainy or foggy day can only indoors. If we ignore this rule, the bubbles formed in the thickness of material that will burst on drying.
- No primers. Using the composition of the soil severely degrades enamel adhesion to the metal substrate. Cleaning of rust and degreasing is sufficient.
When applying the desirable long pauses do not - so the coating will be uniform
- We work quickly. When applying makeup grasped almost immediately, because to pause in processing is not necessary. If interrupted for a long time, the ink layer will form a distinct boundary between the old and the new layer, on which the bundle will eventually.
- The thicker the paint, the more pronounced relief. Hammer effect can be adjusted by adding a solvent to the material (646, xylene, solvent and special formulations). On the other hand, since the corrosion protection is reduced efficiency, because solvents do not abuse.
An example of the difference in the texture: the left in the photo composition with a solvent, to the right - without
Having understood, which is used as a hammer enamel and krasitetim composition as efficiently as possible, you can protect any metal product from corrosion. Videos in this article demonstrate the features of the use of such dyes. In addition, on any question arising, you can get an answer in the comments.