Thermal insulation paint: the selection and application of liquid insulation
Table of contents
1 Overview spray insulation
- 1.1 The structure of the material
- 1.2 Advantages and disadvantages
2 Selection and Use
- 2.1 The most well-known brands
- 2.2 What to remember when buying
- 2.3 The application of paint
- 3 conclusion
Thermal insulation paint - a decorative material with a low thermal conductivity. It is used for thermal insulation of pipes and other structures of complex shape. In this article I will discuss the operating principle of a heat-insulating paint, and analyze the nuances of its selection and use.
Thin-film coatings also can effectively retain heat
Overview spray insulation
The structure of the material
Insulating paints are fairly dense preparations, designed for thin layer coating on various surfaces.
The material properties are determined by its structure, which includes the following components:
The structure of the material
- Basis - aqueous acrylic dispersion. It is responsible for the paint adhesion to the surface and the uniform distribution of the components responsible for the thermal insulation. Furthermore, an acrylic component facilitates application of paint.
- Modifiers - the components that improve the performance properties of the coating and prolongs its life. Typically, this material in the added substances which increase the elasticity and preventing cracking. Most popular modifiers - synthetic rubber, latex and silicone.
A diagram illustrating the relation of components
- The thermal component - solid granules of ceramic, inside which is rarefied air. These granules are characterized by small size and almost perfectly spherical shape, so that they are evenly distributed in a thin layer of thermal insulation.
- Pigments. Most often teplokraska available in white color and when applied not tinted. This provides the most efficient insulation. On the other hand, the principal possibility of tinting composition is, since the dispersed acrylic substrate exhibits almost the same properties as conventional paint.
Since functions coating
The operating principle of a heat-insulating paint is simple:
- Ceramic pellets are evenly distributed in the acrylic-polymer complex, a thin layer covers the entire colored object.
- Rarefied air trapped inside the granules, acts as a very efficient thermal insulator.
Ceramic layer prevents the transfer of thermal energy to the external environment
- An additional advantage is the tightness of the granules. Since the ceramic wall impermeable to air, heat exchange between the interior and the external environment does not occur at times that slows the rate of energy transfer.
Advantages and disadvantages
Compared to other heaters Thermos paint has the advantages of:
- Low labor intensity insulation work, especially with insulation structures of complex shape. For example, the pipeline is much easier to paint (even several times) than mount multilayer "shell" of mineral wool and non-woven protective coating or cladding metal.
For thermal insulation of pipelines of complex shape structure fits best
- A slight increase in the size of the object insulated. Painting works effectively even when the applied layer thickness of 0.9 - 1 mm, which allows to insulate even closely spaced tubes.
Stain can not all sites, but only those that are difficult to insulate the traditional way - for example, the shut-off valve, as in this photo
Another plus - a small mass. And for facades, and it is important for the absence of additional pipe load.
- Much adhesion and durability of the coating. Material falls to almost any surface (with minimal pretreatment) and shows good adhesion. Insulation layer brings great external forces and thermal deformation of the base, because does not crack and does not peel off.
Good resistance to external influences allows you to apply the thermal insulation to protect the heat network laid in the ground
- The service life of properly applied coating is 10 to 40 years depending on operating conditions. At the same time accidentally damage the paint is difficult.
- Paints distinguished water resistance and flame resistance, which provides additional protection to the treated surfaces (including corrosion). But water vapor permeability of such compositions is different: in front of modifications, this figure is highest, thus preserving natural ventilation walls.
For application to the wall is to use vapor-permeable brand
However, liquid insulation can not be called universal - he has and disadvantages:
- The first drawback - it is a high price. For example, the facade varieties of domestic production cost from 350 rubles per liter. And given the considerable amount of material and the need for the application of at least two layers, at the finish of the costs will be rather big.
For small areas, and the protection of high-temperature objects paint - one of the best solutions
- Then - good, but not outstanding insulation performance. According to the manufacturer, the thermal conductivity of the hyperfine insulation is at 0.001 to 0.003 W / (m * 0C). At the same time the practical measurement of this parameter (Institute of Engineering Thermophysics, NAS) exhibit much more modest results - 0,05-0,14 W / (m * 0 C). So that the efficiency of the material is comparable with the most popular insulation - but, alas, no more.
- Another negative - significant results shows only the liquid insulation at high temperature differences between the treated object and the environment. Those. it is suitable for hot pipes and tanks, but the wall constructions can choose other material without loss of function.
To protect the communication from the heat, this composition is well suited
However, the presence of these cons do not mean that the heat-reflecting paint useless. In its niche it works very effectively. Because for thermal insulation of pipelines, metal structures, as well as additional external thermal insulation of facades, this material is quite suitable.
Selection and Use
The most well-known brands
To date, the market there are several groups of thermal insulation materials based on liquid polymers filled with ceramic.
Among the most popular are:
Corrosion and ordinary ink on "Korund"
- "Korund" - perhaps the most famous manufacturer of thermal paint. Under this brand produced several varieties, differing functional features. "Corundum Classic" is used to insulate pipes with surface temperatures up to 2000C, and "Corundum Facade" - for the external insulation.
Formulations suitable for thermal insulation of facades, are more resistant binder. Furthermore, they can be applied sufficiently thickly that compensates for the lack of effective thermal insulation for low temperature difference.
- "Astratek" - coating containing no organic solvents. Completely harmless both for application as well as during operation. It is intended primarily for heat insulation of high temperature surfaces - pipes, boilers etc. Also in the line have compositions designed for coating metal surfaces (with anticorrosion additives) and for facade insulation.
Application of the composition "Astratek facade"
- "Armor" - ceramic coating liquid. Along with good insulating properties and has anticorrosive anticondensation effect. It is not destroyed even after prolonged exposure to ultraviolet radiation.
"Armor" also has several modifications
In addition to these varieties in the market, you can find compositions "Lic Ceramic", "Magniterm" "Keramoizol", "square", and others. The range of colors of this type is constantly growing, so when choosing a need to carefully study the technical characteristics of the product and to select the most suitable brand.
What to remember when buying
Not to overpay and buy a really high-quality insulation material, the paint should be chosen on a number of parameters.
To facilitate the selection below is quite simple instruction:
- The first important factor - the density of the mixture. Since the main thermal insulation effect is provided hollow micropellets have compositions effective density of not more than 0.6 - 0.65 kg / l. Therefore, taking into account the packaging standard bucket capacity 10l should weigh no more than 7,5kg.
Bucket 20 liters should weigh about 15-16 kg.
- Having looked at in transmission capacity can be seen bundle material: light granule form topsheet, heavier polymer base - bottom. The greater the thickness of the top layer, the greater the effectiveness of the composition.
Of course, this tip only works for paint, which has long been kept in a state of rest.
These granules can feel the fingers
- A granular structure is checked for perfect touch. To do this, we collect some paint and rubs her fingertips felt pellets as small roughness.
Quality coating must be perfectly white
- It is important to pay attention to the shade: high-quality material should be white. Uneven coloring, yellow or gray foundations often reveal a violation of the technology. It is possible that the pellets would then be in order, but the quality of communication (and therefore - and adhesion to the substrate) is below.
When you purchase should also build on the desired volume. Typically, the flow rate specified by the manufacturer on the package, but prior to the calculation is to start from the value of 1 - 1.2 liters per 1 m2 at a thickness of 1 mm. Also keep in mind that the insulating paint is usually applied in several layers because its consumption is increased at least twice.
When painting large areas of consumption will be significant
The application of paint
When performing insulation works using materials described his own hands the most important thing - to prepare the surface properly:
- Painted wall should be cleaned from dust and debris. The discovered cracks and crevices at this embroider, are filled with deepened and repair composition.
- The concrete surface is necessarily cleared of "cement milk", greatly reducing adhesion.
- Immediately before staining, brick and concrete surfaces can be sanded with a wire brush, sandblasting or sanding machine.
- Ferrous metal surface (pipe fittings plating) is required to be degreased. Rusted areas are stripped to remove traces of corrosion.
- The surfaces of the non-ferrous metals are stripped carefully, after which they applied primer VL-02 or VL-023.
Painting process itself is not different complexity:
With stirring using a mixer speed limit remember
- The paint is required to mix for uniform distribution of pellets in the bulk material. manually stirring time up to 15 minutes, using the mixer - 5-7 minutes.
If a mixer is used, the speed should not exceed 200 rpm, otherwise there is a risk of fracture of ceramic pellets.
- If the ink composition assumes at the same stage adding water. However, the plant can not by all means, because act according to the instructions.
- If you want to paint a small area for application use a brush with natural bristles. Large arable spray gun or airless spray. Maximum pressure for painting - 5-6 atmospheres, otherwise there is a risk of damage to the ceramic granules.
facade coloring spray
- In most cases, coloring is performed in multiple layers, with a layer thickness of not more than 1 mm. Before applying the next layer of the painted surface is maintained for at least 24 hours to polymerize the binder and fixation of insulating beads.
Execution of facade work
The insulating paint insulating ceramic granules is only effective when applied correctly. The above described features of this material and methods of efficiently applying a liquid insulation.
Videos in this article contains more information on this topic. In addition, advice on paint insulation can be obtained by asking a question in the comments.