Old wallpaper is bored and you want something more modern?No problems!With conventional concrete walls, they are usually removed without unnecessary effort. And here's what to do with gypsum plasterboard, because it's a very delicate material that can be easily damaged by simply exerting excessive force. If you risk and soak together with the wallpaper, the upper layer of the canvas is completely unwilling, you need to try other ways, because there are many of them.
- How to remove old wallpaper from gypsum board: 4 simple ways
- How to remove wallpaper from drywall: an individual approach for each type
- Remove liquid wallpaper: four ways to remove
- How to remove the tile from gypsum board:Different options for dismantling
- Technology: how to remove wallpaper from gypsum board( video)
How to remove old wallpaper from gypsum board: 4 simple ways
To remove old wallpaper from gypsum board walls, Apply methods such as knife or tearing off the wall with the use of physical strength: in the first case, there is a possibility to cut through the drywall sheet, and in the second - to tear off a piece of wallpaper along with part of the structure. For delicate removal of wallpaper from gypsum cardboard, water is also not suitable, after all, having got wet, the wallpaper will move away from the wall, but the plasterboard is then deformed or pushed.
. As an exception, you can try a method of processing wallpaper with water from a spray gun. Fine water dust can soften wallpaper paste, but it works only on thin paper wallpaper.
Alternative methods for removing boring wallpapers are still there: folk craftsmen suggest using one of them to remove from the wall trellis of any kind.
Simple ways how to remove wallpaper from gypsum board:
- Cheap wallpaper glue or primer. Apply one of these tools with a brush on the wallpaper, wait for just a couple of minutes, pour it gently with a spatula - and the soggy streaks slowly go away from the wall. The main thing is not to overdo it, and do not pick up the cardboard surface of the gypsum board with a spatula.
- In construction shops there are special solutions for removing wallpaper from plasterboard. You can safely experiment with their application.
- Professionals often use a special steam generator to detach old trellises. It is worth such a device a lot, but at home it can replace the iron with the function of the steamer. Pull it on the extension to the desired wall section, turn on the steamer and hold it in the joints, gradually moving to the center of the strip. Use a sharp trowel to grind away pieces of wallpaper and gently pull to remove them.
- Home masters suggest using a hair dryer set for maximum power and hot air for removing the wallpaper.
All these methods are good in their own way and have the right to exist, as in some cases they can give a good result. If you want to use a professional approach to the dismantling of wallpaper decor, and remove the coating correctly, it is worth first to find out what type of old wallpaper refers to, because this depends on the method of removing them.
How to remove wallpaper from gypsum board: an individual approach for each type
The variety of types of wallpaper coating dictates a different approach to its removal. Wallpaper can be non-woven and paper, fabric and vinyl. And what is good for removing wallpaper from paper, will not affect the coating of vinyl.
Remove the wallpaper of different types:
- Paper wallpaper - the thinnest. They are easily removed when exposed to steam or when ironing;
- Vinyl wallpaper is either removed with a single piece, or firmly glued to the surface. To soak and steam them is useless. It is worth using chemicals and trying to mechanically scratch them with a brush-a wallpaper tiger.
- Non-woven fleece and other washable types of wallpaper have a layered structure. They are easiest to remove from the walls of gypsum plasterboard: it is sufficient to cover the top layer, and on the surface of the GCR there will be only a thin film that does not interfere with the further decoration of the walls.
Not surprisingly, each kind of material requires an individual approach for quick removal.
If you put a putty on the drywall on paper wallpapers, you can try to soak them with water, but in small amounts and not longer than half an hour.
If you wisely approach the issue of removing wallpapers from gipsokartonnyh structures, you can dismantle the old finish without much effort and loss, retaining the integrity of the walls and the relative order in the room.
Remove liquid wallpaper: four ways to remove
Liquid wallpapers stand slightly apart from other types of wallpaper. They are not only applied in a special way and produced in a completely different way than other finishing materials, but they can also be dismantled in different ways.
Classic liquid wallpaper based on silk, cellulose or cotton are afraid of water. They can easily be cleaned with normal wetting.
Depending on the type of liquid wallpaper, they can be removed both mechanically and chemically. If in the composition of such wallpaper there are particles of viscose, they can later be reused, and hard wallpaper, which contain particles of minerals, must be roughly removed with a special power tool.
Methods for dismantling liquid wallpaper:
- Soaking with subsequent reuse;
- Exposure to the building hair dryer;
- Splitting by grinding machine;
- Manual removal by scraper and spatula after application of acrylic primer solution.
Liquid wallpapers have one more remarkable property: if necessary, they can not be removed, but simply repainted to the desired color, preserving the original texture and avoiding the effort to dismantle the wallpaper.
How to remove tiles from plasterboard: different options for dismantling
Drywall is a fragile material, and removing tiles from it without damaging the base is almost impossible. Despite the fact that other ceramics are tried to be removed from other surfaces in a general way, in the case of gypsum plasterboard it is necessary to sacrifice something by one, and with a high degree of probability it will be the gypsum board itself that is losing its strength in many times.
If you just need to make a technological hole in the wall of plasterboard lined with ceramic tiles, you can try to carve a knife with a paint knifeFrom the gaps between the tiles grout and the old glue around the perimeter of the area to be removed, and then with the same knife try to cut the drywall and cut out the hole of the desired size. Disadvantages of the method: you can get on the metal profile and break the integrity of the whole structure or touch the wiring.
Other ways to dismantle tiles from plasterboard:
- If plasterboard was applied to the plasterboard before plastering, you can try to remove one tile, picking them with a sharp chisel;
- Cut on the tile with a Bulgarian, if it does not work without a foundation, then together with plasterboard.
Even if you manage to remove the tiles from a gypsum board, without damaging it significantly, the problem remains of removing the glue residues from its surface: it is made with a Bulgarian with special nozzles. The process of removing glue is very painstaking and long-lasting.
Technology: how to remove wallpaper from gypsum board( video)
Despite the seeming simplicity, gypsum board requires a gentle appeal to itself in everything that concerns the dismantling of the finishing materials from its surface. For each of the cases when you need to remove wallpaper or tiles from gypsum board construction you have to approach separately, coming up with individual ways of dismantling the boring decor.