Drywall - one of the most popular finishing materials based on gypsum. It looks like plaster, but it has higher strength properties. This finishing material is also particularly interesting in that with its help you can realize bold and original interior solutions. Typically, plasterboard is used only in living rooms - for the assembly of prefabricated partitions, as well as the cladding of wall and ceiling surfaces. And since this material is afraid of moisture and exposure to high temperatures, it should not be used for cladding baths, bathrooms, work surfaces in the kitchen( near sinks, slabs, etc.).In addition, to mount gipsokartonnyh sheets you need to choose a special screw for gypsum board, i.e. Several types of fasteners, such as self-tapping screws, dowel-nails, etc.
- What screws fasten drywall
- Choose screws for profile drywall
- How many screws on a sheet of drywall is necessary
- Correcting faulty installation screws
- What are screws for drywall( video)
What screws to mount the drywall
It must be said that the type of fasteners for mounting gypsum boards, or GKL, on the ceiling( walls) depends on the method of attachment.
Traditionally for the walls or ceiling gypsum boards are used three ways of fastening the fabric:
- On mastic adhesive to the reference beacons;
- With screws( self-tapping screws) to metal( from galvanized profile) or wooden frame;
- With the help of galvanized nails with wide hats to the wooden crate( frame).
this purpose, typically applied ordinary black sharp screws to metal 25 mm in length for cladding walls and ceilings plasterboard diameter 3, 5 mm( for single-layer GCR) with a cross-shaped slot and a countersunk head( the second name is "self-tapping screws according to GCR").
If you use wooden blocks in the role of the crate, then wood screws are used to attach the gypsum board to the frame, which differ from the screws for the metal thread pitch. In addition, when choosing the fasteners for GCR, preference should be given to self-tapping screws made of steel with a protective coating( for example, phosphated screws).Such a protective coating protects the fasteners from corrosion. With regard to the size of the screws, then, mainly for single-layer GCR, self-tapping screws 3.5x25 mm are used, and for double-layer gypsum boards - 3.5x35 mm.
We choose screws for the profile of drywall
In addition to fixing the sheets of gypsum board to the profile for facing work, it is also necessary to have fasteners for the installation of the frame itself.
Thus, a profile drywall used, preferably, the following mounting forks:
- order of wall or ceiling profile - dowel-concrete nails having substantially the size of 6x40 mm. If the walls or ceiling are made of wood or wood materials, then wood screws are used to fix the profile. The dimensions of the fasteners in each case are determined by the thickness and type of material from which the walls or ceiling are made.
- For the guide profile - metal screws or self-cutters of the "bug" type( other names are "burr", "fly", etc.) in size 3.5x9 mm or 3.5x11 mm.
- For direct suspension uses the same kinds of screws as for the guide profile
Thus, the type and mounting dimensions for the frame GCR, The GCR itself and other elements that will be installed on the drywall, depend on the size and material of the structures to be mounted.
How many screws per drywall sheet do you need
In order to properly fix the plasterboard to the wooden or metal frame, the following basic distances between the fasteners
should be maintained. Namely:
- Screws must be placed around the perimeter of the sheet every 0.4 m.
- Distance from the edge of the sheet toThe screw must be at least 10-20 mm.
- The fastener is located in the middle of the sheet every 0.6 m.
These dimensions determine the approximate estimated number of fasteners for GCR.
In addition to the above basic requirements for the estimated number of screws, one should also take into account the step of fixing the profile to the walls and ceiling, which determines the number of dowels and nails andSelf-cuts of the "bug" type.
Correction of incorrect installation of self-tapping screws
Beautiful walls and ceiling made of plasterboard are the result of the correct installation and final processing of GKL sheets. Therefore, after installing the drywall, the surface of the sheets must be painted or wallpapered with wallpaper or other film materials. To finish the finishing stage quickly and accurately, the surface of gypsum boards should be flat, which is facilitated by the correct installation of screws.
It should be noted that when fastening the plasterboard to the metal profile, self-tapping screws are used, which must be screwed to a depth of no more than 2-3 mm in the GCR plane.
As a rule, the following errors may occur when the walls or ceiling are lined with GKL sheets:
- Screws the profileAnd slightly protrudes from the plane of the gypsum board, due to the considerable density of the finishing material and the small thickness of the metal profile. This arrangement of fasteners hinders the final processing of the surface of plasterboard sheets.
- For fixing drywall, self-cutters for gypsum-fibrous sheets are used, which leads to the appearance of an extruded groove around the installed fasteners.
These problems can be solved in the following ways. The surface of the gypsum board at the place where the screw is fastened is screwed with a screwdriver, after which the screw can be easily screwed to the required depth. When using self-tapping screws for double-entry and cone-shaped GVL, correction is performed by cutting an extruded grooved groove in the place where the screw is installed with a clerical knife.
In general, to avoid additional work to correct the already installed fasteners, the initial correct choice of fasteners, taking into account the strength properties and dimensions of the mounted elements and structures, helps.
What are the screws for gypsum board( video)
In other words, it can be concluded that for the qualitative installation of gypsum boards on walls or ceilings, several types of fasteners are required, the dimensions and properties of which are chosen taking into account the dimensions and characteristics of gypsum board, carcass and bearing surfacesWalls or ceiling.