The art of quilting, which has ancient origins, does not lose its relevance. Products in patchwork style, bringing comfort and expressiveness, continue to decorate modern houses, harmoniously blend into stylish interiors. Needlework, which arose from the need to save and combine any existing fabric for tailoring and clothing, evolved to the extent of mosaic craftsmanship.
- Patchwork technology in a modern interior
- Stylish quilts: beginner's schemes
- How to sew a patchwork cover: tips and secrets of parts cut
- Selection of details by color for a patchwork
- Quilt for30 minutes( video)
- Quilt patchwork with your own hands( photo)
Patchwork technique in a modern interior
Patchwork technique means a thoughtful combination of flaps,or any individual parts for the creation of a new artistic composition. Using a patchwork of textiles, tiles, wallpaper decorate clothes, sew bags, create accessories for the interior, furniture, paintings. A wide range of applications, lack of boundaries in the manufacture of products turned the patchwork style into a full-fledged art direction.
The most common way to apply patchwork is to sew bed linen. This is possible even for beginners, who first encountered this technique. It is better to master patchwork on a large product, for example, a coverlet.
The patchwork in patchwork style should:
- Withstand washing and drying without deforming;
- Have a stable pattern;
- Do not stretch at the seams from operation;
- Do not induce irritation and other skin reactions.
Therefore, it is worthwhile to carefully consider and choose the textiles from which it is planned to sew a thing.
Fabrics for patchwork bedspreads:
- Natural fabrics: dense linen, silk, woolen - are considered the most suitable, but crumple when used.
- Semisynthetic fabrics look great, can withstand washing and do not crumple.
- The drape fabric is suitable for warm blankets and bedspreads.
- For patchwork, a combination of different types of fabric is suitable: Velvet fabric with jeans;
- Linen with silk;
- Printed cotton fabric and coarse calico;
- Cotton and silk;
- For the sealing of parts use non-woven;
- For thermal insulation of a cover - sintepon.
The wider the choice of fabric, the intricate design can be devised. If earlier used scraps for such purposes, used worn things, now it will not be difficult to go to fabric stores, or to specialized shops for patchwork, where there are ready-made parts that have been pretreated and do not shrink, will not change color after heatProcessing.
Bedspreads in patchwork style can decorate a child's bed, look great on the sofa in the living room or be a full bed linen in the bedroom.
It is always exciting to make a baby blanket with patchwork technique with the child.
Stylish patchwork bedspreads: schemes for beginners
For beginners in the technique of patchwork a lot of information on the Internet, there are patterns, patterns, templates, photos of products. There is an opportunity to see the master class in the chosen direction of patchwork sewing and sew your own unique thing with your own hands.
Main types of equipment patchwork:
- The fabric consists of pieces of fabric that can be of different or similar shapes;
- On the whole canvas create a pattern using stitches;
- A piece of cloth is applied to the whole piece of fabric by applying appliqués.
Historically, there were two main areas of patchwork, which can serve as a hint for beginners.
Patches of the patchwork technique:
- Traditional patchwork. Composition is created from the same in size and shape templates. The picture should have a clear symmetry in the end.
- The direction of the Crazy-patchwork. No sequence, asymmetry, details of different shapes and sizes.
The patterns that will be used in the process depend only on the master's imagination. In patchwork it is convenient to use the block scheme: small parts are stitched together with blocks and only then from them you can create the final composition.
For beginners such basic schemes are suitable:
- Diagram of squares. The basis of any pattern is in the form of squares.
- Diagram of triangles. The pattern consists of isosceles triangles. A variation of such a scheme is a "square in a square": from 4 triangles the squares are sewn.
- Scheme of the bands. The details in the form of strips are arranged parallel to each other, in a spiral, with a shift relative to the adjacent strip, etc.
- Diagram of the "honeycomb". The pattern is based on hexagonal shapes.
Having mastered the basic schemes in patchwork, it is possible to combine schemes, details and directions safely. For example, combine equilateral triangles by creating a Star element or grouping squares with triangles.
How to sew a patchwork cover: tips and secrets for cutting parts
If you have any doubts, it will or will not turn out a patchwork on patchwork technique - boldly sew!Quilting needlework is so appreciated that it is always possible to correct any flaw in the process and correct the defect. The only negative: the first time sewing can take a lot of time, but it is better to have patience, then the result will be pleased.
Rules for cutting a quilt:
- The fabric must be prewashed or ironed using a spray or steam effect on the iron. This is done so that after the cutting the fabric does not give more shrinkage.
- Do not use the edge on fabrics. It can be cut off immediately.
- It is necessary to cut out all the details strictly in the direction of the share thread. Most often, the share thread coincides with the direction of the edge. You can check yourself by pulling the fabric in different directions: the share direction either does not stretch at all, or stretches very slightly.
- All parts should be cut to allow for allowances. Approximately 1-1.5 cm on each side.
- For different fabric densities, lighter parts should be sealed by gluing them on the non-woven fabric.
- Already used pieces of fabric should be starched.
- When transferring a pattern to a fabric, you can not use a handle, just chalk, soap or a pencil.
- Each new weld must be ironed on both sides before attaching the part to the new block. First, the seam is smoothed out, then the seam on the front side is ironed.
Getting started on the cover you need:
- Prepare basic tools: cloth, iron, sewing machine, scissors, needles.
- To think over the idea of drawing, to break it into blocks, to select schemes, to find patterns.
- Transfer the templates to the fabric.
- For blocks to sew parts.
- Connect the main units to each other.
If there is no sewing machine at home, you can sew patchwork by hand. For manual stitching use 2 thimble. The products are pre-scraped, a chalk line is marked with chalk and stitched together with small stitches. For convenience, pull the fabric on the embroidery frame. If you carefully follow the stitches, carefully handle the seams, the result will not differ from the machine stitch.
Selection of details for the color of the patchwork
To make the finished bedspread fit into the interior, rather than looking naked and not ruffled, it is worthwhile to work out the color scheme. There are rules for combining tones and halftones. Beginners can use the technique of two colors and two patterns. In this case, contrasting colors can withstand the dynamics if the main fabric is selected in a neutral color.
Tips for choosing the pattern:
- Draw a sketch of the blanket to have a visual representation of the future of the product.
- To ensure that the cover does not ripple, small mottled details should not overload the pattern.
- For a complex pattern, it's better to experiment through color than through drawing small details.
- Better let there be large details of bright monophonic color, than many small ones with their own pattern.
- Place the items on the bed and move to a distance so that the side can once again evaluate the selected pattern and color.
Help to choose a harmonious color combination will help any program for coloring on the Internet.
Quilting blanket for 30 minutes( video)
Adhering to all the rules for selecting textiles, focusing on the interior of the room, showing a sense of proportion and putting their efforts, you can create a stylish and special thing that, perhaps, will become a family value. And sewing one blanket, perhaps, there will be a desire to create complete sets of bed linen.