Without a mixer, today, it is impossible to imagine any construction site: the cranes are used in domestic and industrial environments, offices, Institutions, etc. The scope of mixers is incredibly great. The comfort and durability of the mixers depends on the quality of the internal element that regulates the water flow - the crane-axle box. The malfunction of this device leads to a malfunction in the correct operation of the mixer. How to pick up the crane-axle and replace the mechanism - read below.
- What is a crane: types and dimensions
- Worm-type crane for mixer: pros and cons
- Ceramic crane: advantages and disadvantages
- Replacing crane and crane axle
- How to unscrew the crane-axle if it has attached to the
- body Repair of the crane-axle
- How to remove the faucet from the mixer( video)
- Examples of the crane-axle( photo)
What is crane-axle: Types and sizes of
What is a crane-bug?The valve head for a mixer or tap-hopper is the main element that controls the opening and closing of water. Note that it will be correct to call the element just the crane-axle. The variants of "grumbux", "grand bay", "cranboks" or "gran-box" are incorrect and are not used among plumbers and sellers of sanitary components.
. In order to carry out a thorough repair of the mixer and replace the tap-axle, Mechanisms exist, what the element consists of and how it works.
So, the standard crane-bumper consists of:
- Swivel stem.
The housing is equipped with threads and gaskets to ensure the integrity of the element. Dropping of the crane-axle from the mixer is controlled by a quick-release washer.
According to the type of internal locking elements, the valve heads are
- With ceramic sliding plates;
- With rubber cuffs( worm);
- With metal balls.
In addition, there is a half-turn type crane, which, most often, is installed after the filter and passes only clean water without sand, rust, etc. Each type of crane-box has its own versions. Therefore, to choose a new device is better, having the old one.
The possibility of installing the crane-axle in the mixer socket depends on the landing dimensions of the element.
The GOST specifies such sizes of crane-axle boxes as 1/2 and 3/8 inches. In addition, to choose the crane-axle for a concrete mixer, you need to take into account the length of the element's rod, the number of splines. So for imported faucets fit crane gearboxes for 20 and 24 slots. If you find it difficult to find the item, then you can ask for help in any sanitary ware shop( or online store, for example, such as Leroy Merlin).
Worm-type crane for mixer: pluses and minuses
A worm-type crane-type crane or as it is also called a grandbeach is a part consisting of a metal threaded rod that is fixed in the rod and extended when exposed to the flywheel. At the end of the screw is a rubber gasket that clings to the valve, blocking access to water.
The advantages of a worm-type crane are as follows:
- Low cost;
- Possibility of self-repair;
- The possibility of making gaskets( which, most often, are the cause of component breakage) on their own.
The use of such a detail is much worse. The main shortcomings of the product include its fragility, the presence of a large number of revolutions, a decrease in the smooth running with time, noise.
Ceramic crane: advantages and disadvantages
The valve mechanisms were replaced by a crane-axle with a working pair of ceramics. Ceramics - a material obtained by burning clay substances with the addition of mineral. It has heat resistance and strength. Therefore, ceramic valve heads are durable and reliable. Essentially, not all of the device is made of ceramics, but only 2 discs, which are considered to be a locking component of
Ceramic plates have the same holes. One of the plates is located in the body of the part, and the second - on the rod. When turning the tap, the holes are superimposed on each other, giving a stroke of water.
To replace the plates, they can be broken, but it is necessary to select the working pair specifically for the size of the part. Most often, it is easier to replace the entire part.
The main advantages of using ceramic valve heads are:
- The small number of revolutions required to open and close the crane;
- Smooth running.
The disadvantages include the cost of a ceramic product that exceeds the cost of a part with rubber cuffs and the need to install a fine water filter for the correct operation of the valve head.
Replacing the crane and the crane-axle
Sometimes expensive replacement of the mixer can be avoided by replacing the crane-axle. It can be done quickly and without professional help. In this case, it should be remembered that different crane-axle boxes are not interchangeable. The same can be with the boxes from different manufacturers( the domestic bookcase can not replace the foreign one and vice versa).In addition, if the imported analog will change the valve head of domestic production, it will be necessary to change the flywheel. Therefore, to go for a new element is better, having with itself an old crane-axle.
Determine which tap-box is standing in the mixer can be made by moving the handwheel: if the valve makes four turns, Valve head worm-type, if ½ turn - then the part is ceramic.
After selecting an element, you can begin to replace it. Replacement, in this case, must be performed with the water supply turned off.
After this, in order to replace the valve head, you need:
- Remove the protective cap from the flywheel using a knife or flat screwdriver.
- Pull out the bolt under the flywheel, and unscrew the valve valve.
- Clean the thread to which the bolt was fixed.
- Remove the accessories.
- Use a wrench to unscrew the crane-axle.
- Clean the seat for the new element.
The installation of a new valve head and assembly of the mixer takes place in the reverse order.
If it is necessary for the box to open in the opposite direction, it is necessary to unscrew the locking screw of the part and screw it from the back side.
In this case, you need to carefully check that the crane-box was not overtightened, otherwise the tap will soon be able to flow( this also applies to the screwed connections of the heated towel rail).After installing a new valve head, you need to open the water and check whether the tap is running.
How to unscrew the crane-axle if it has become attached to the
body Often, the crane-boxes in the plumbers of the Soviet model can not be removed using the tool. This is due to the fact that over time, the elements rust and oxidize.
If the valve head is attached to the mixer body, you can try:
- Pick up the edges of the element with a swivel wrench, loosen the element and unscrew the crane-axle. The main thing, at the same time, calculate strength: if you apply a little more force, you can easily break the thread and break the tap.
- Use chemical substances. Rust will be able to vinegar, household chemicals to eliminate rust, oxygen-containing products, WD-40.They will need to lubricate the element and wait a quarter of an hour until the substance acts. If necessary, the procedure can be repeated.
- Use the thermal method. If the crane-hook is not unscrewed, then you can try to heat it with a construction hair dryer. You can use and open fire, but then the plastic fittings mixer can be straightened, and the metal - darken.
- Drill the valve head. This method should be resorted only if others do not justify themselves. Since after the work in the body of the mixer will have to do a new thread. To remove an element in this way, first cut the projecting part of the bolt with a metal hacksaw, and then drill out the remainder.
You can use the methods both independently and by combining with each other.
Repair of the crane-axle
Repair of the crane-axle box may be necessary in case the valve starts to leak or the mixer drips even when closed. You can repair yourself. To do this, stock up the necessary tool, determine the type of valve head and the degree of failure.
In order to repair the crane-axle itself, you need a repair kit that includes:
- Screwdrivers( flat and cross);
- Keys( 7 mm nut and 17 mm);
Most often, repairing the worm-type crane is to replace the gasket. To do this, the valve head is unscrewed, and the rubber insert is replaced with a new one.
If you open and close the tap with some effort, and the flywheel creaks during revolutions, then it's time to grease the valve head.
For this, a water-resistant silicone grease is suitable. To lubricate the part it must be removed from the mixer, and unscrew the shut-off valve from the part. It is necessary to fill the valve holes with grease. After repair, the valve head must be assembled and replaced.
How to remove the faucet from the mixer( video)
The crane is the main element in the mixer that affects the supply and closing of water. When worn, the crane-axle can be repaired or replaced by hand. The choice of a new part follows, given its size and type, technical characteristics of sanitary ware. A quality replacement and repair can be done using the instructions above. Examples