Modern requirements to improve the energy-saving properties of buildings and structures, reduce heat loss, save energy carriers caused the need for enterprises to produce different types of insulation. Polyurethane foam( PPU) among them is advantageously distinguished by a particularly wide range of applications, not only as a warming, but also as a sealing material.
- Application of polyurethane foam
- Advantages of
- Disadvantages of
- Technical characteristics of foamed polyurethane
The starting materials for the production of polyurethane foam include liquid components "A"( polyester component), also "B"( MDI or polyisocyanate)among themselves to the formation of abundant foam with a controlled increase in volume. By adding various additives and additives to component "A", it is possible to control the properties of the product obtained within a wide range.
Sphere of application of polyurethane foam
The structure of polyurethane foam is a closed pore, due to which the material not only has excellent thermal insulation characteristics, but also practically does not absorb water and water vapor, being, in fact, a waterproofing material. Thanks to such properties, the scope of polyurethane foam is very diverse.
- In addition to manufacturing various board materials, various insulating elements of complex shape, polyurethane foam is used directly on any construction site: as a heater and sealing material. For example, this material is widely used for foaming openings when installing doors and windows.
- Properties of polyurethane foam directly depend on the additives used in its production. For example, on its basis foam is produced for installing doors with fireproof qualities. Liquid components of which polyurethane foam consists, when interacting with each other in the open air, become a dense foam with excellent adhesive properties.
- Using directly on the construction site sprayed polyurethane foam, it is easy to insulate the structural elements of any configuration. At the same time, this material is unusually resistant to most alkalis and acids, is not afraid of high humidity, it is not damaged by rodents and insects. Excellent adhesion allows you to abandon the fastening elements, which solves the problem of cold bridges.
Advantages PPU allowed him to occupy a huge niche in the market of insulation materials. In some spheres of application, he even occupies a monopoly position. In particular, polyurethane foam is indispensable for the insulation of pipes, containers, tanks, refrigeration equipment. Recently, the technology of its application for the insulation of roofs with their simultaneous waterproofing has been developed. In this case, the spraying of polyurethane foam can be done directly on old coatings without their dismantling, and the surface obtained not only repeats all the bends, but also has no seams.
The undeniable advantages of PPU are known to all. To the above, I would like to add the following positive properties: this material has good sound insulation characteristics, does not corrode, is environmentally friendly when applied, well disposed of.
The disadvantages of polyurethane foam are relatively high cost, which is a very serious obstacle to its wider use. Also, he is afraid of ultraviolet radiation, therefore, protection against direct sun rays is required. It can be protected with:
- decoration materials;
- application of mastic.
Technical characteristics of
- density in the solidified form: from 26 to 300 kg / m3;
- number of closed pores: at least 90%;
- thermal conductivity: from 0.022 - 0.03 W / m · K;
- breaking stress( at compression): 0,15-1,0 MPa,( at bending): 0,35-1,9 MPa;
- water absorption: 1.0 - 5.0%;
- flammability: highly flammable( GOST 12.1.044);
- service life: at least 30 years;
- operating temperature range: -160 ° C to + 150 ° C.
As insulation, compared with similar materials for use, polyurethane foam is advantageous in that it combines the most positive aspects of its competitors, being the leader in application. At the same time, it is spared most of the shortcomings inherent in other materials. Photos and video materials demonstrating a variety of methods of application and an impressive range of design solutions make it possible to recognize polyurethane foam as a universal material of wide application, the feedback about which is exceptionally positive.