Choosing materials for roofing of 8 modern variants
Table of contents
1 types of materials
- 1.1 Option 1: metal
- 1.2 Option 2: corrugated board
- 1.3 Option 3: ceramic tiles
- 1.4 Option 4: sand-cement shingles
- 1.5 Option 5: soft tile
- 1.6 Option 6: ondulin
- 1.7 Option 7: Slate
- 1.8 Option 8: evroruberoid
- 2 Output
What is the best material for the roof of the roof? The answer to this question interests of every developer. I'll tell you about the advantages and disadvantages of the most common modern roofing materials, so you can make the right choice.
From the choice of material depends not only on design and durability of the roof, but also the comfort of living in the house
types of materials
The most popular roofing materials the following:
types of materials
Let's examine its characteristics, to find out what kind of material is best for the house roof.
Metal is a sheet steel
Option 1: metal
Metal - pressed from galvanized steel sheets. Profile leaves resemble stacked in several rows of tiles. Hence the name of the material.
Metal roof is very similar to ceramic tile
Low weight. The average weighs about 4.5 kg per 1m2. For comparison, the weight of natural tile may reach 50-60 kg per 1m2.
Due to its light weight material is convenient to work with. In addition, it does not have a big load on the truss system and the wall of the house;
The market is a wide range of metal colors
- Large choice of design. Metal There are a variety of colors, it is matte and glossy, and it is different profile shape;
- Durability. Depending on the type of protective coating, metal may be from 25 to 50 years;
- Low cost. The price of this material is several times smaller than the ceramic tiles.
During precipitation such roofs is very noisy
- Noise. Material strongly rumbles during precipitation. To solve this disadvantage can laying noise insulation material under the metal sheets;
- The high thermal conductivity. To neutralize this disadvantage, the roof can be insulated;
- The protective coating is easily damaged. This leads to a significant reduction in the durability of the material. Therefore, metal demands a careful attitude.
Coated polyester tiles less durable
Features choice. As I said above, many of the qualities of metal depends on the polymer coating. They are of the following types:
- Polyester. The cheapest, and therefore the most common coating. The protective properties of polyester are not great, so claimed the life of metal covered with them is 25 years old;
Pural quickly fade in the sun
- Puranas. In terms of the protection of this coating is more robust than polyester, but fade in the sun. The durability of metal covered puralom reaches 50 years of age;
Plastisol gives a kind of metal tile texture
- Plastisol. This coating protects the roofing material from mechanical and chemical influences, however, quickly loses its properties at high temperatures. In addition, the fade in the sun, so is not suitable for the southern regions;
PVDF - the most reliable and durable polymeric coating
- PVDF. Reliable and durable coating, whereby service life of metal is 40-50 years. His only drawback is the high cost.
Cost. The price of the material depends on the manufacturer and type of the polymeric coating:
|Mark||Rub. per 1m2|
|Grand Line (Polyester)||from 330|
|Metal profile (Polyester)||300|
|Metal profile (Plastisol)||550|
|Ruukki (PVDF)||from 1100|
It is not necessary to purchase the cheapest metal roofing from unknown manufacturers, since it is already a few years old might lose color and rust.
Profiled metal is different from a profile shape
Option 2: corrugated board
As metal, this material is a galvanized sheet, profiled by cold rolling. The only difference is the shape of the profile. Therefore, all the advantages and disadvantages of these coatings are the same.
The roof of corrugated board can last 25-50 years, depending on the polymer coating
The same applies to the protective coatings. The only decking can be found on sale without any polymer coating, ie, just galvanized. However, such a material is used commonly for a farm buildings because of low durability, besides appearance of galvanized profiled sheet is poor.
Profiled without polymer coating less durable
Cost. corrugated cost also depends on the type of polymer coating.
|Mark||Rub. per 1m2|
|Grand Line (uncoated)||from 190|
|Grand Line (Polyester)||from 320|
|Steel TD (TD Steel)||from 520|
An excellent alternative to a professional flooring for roofs with a small bias is folded roof. It provides a sealed joint coating. In other respects it has the same properties as the metal or corrugated board.
Ceramic tiles - the most prestigious roofing today
Option 3: ceramic tiles
Ceramic tile needs no introduction. This material is known to mankind for hundreds of years, and still the world is very popular.
Attractive design. This roofing material looks beautiful and rich. Therefore, many others mimic the appearance of tiles.
In addition, a huge range of colors allows you to choose it for every taste;
Such a roof can last more than 100 years
- Durability. On this parameter tiles undisputed leader among roofing materials, as will last 100-150 years, and sometimes more;
- Good sound insulation properties. Tile quite noisy during precipitation;
- UV resistance. Throughout the life of the material does not lose its appeal;
- Fire safety. Pottery is highly resistant to fire.
Tiles require reinforced structure truss system
Disadvantages. Along with the advantages of ceramic tile has some disadvantages:
- A lot of weight. As a result, the roof requires a reinforced truss system, and powerful crates. It increases the load on the walls and foundation of the house;
- Restricting the angle of inclination. Sloping roofs should be within 22-44 degrees. You can make a steeper slope, but will then have to be fastened to the furring every tiled tiles;
- High price. Not everyone can afford a ceramic tile;
Installation of ceramic tile - is a complex and time-consuming work
- Labor intensity and complexity of installation. This increases the cost of the roof. To lay the tiles with their hands, without skills, it is not necessary, as this will affect its longevity.
Features choice. When you select should pay attention to the following points:
- Density and porosity. The higher density - the rugged and durable tile. Porosity leads to increased water absorption and consequent negative effects;
- Structure. The structure must be uniform, i.e. without visible inclusions of lime.
German tile Braas is widely used around the world for its quality and attractive sight
Cost. The price of the tiles depends on the manufacturer:
|Mark||Rub. per 1m2|
Cement-sand tile is similar to the ceramic not only in appearance, but also durability
Option 4: sand-cement shingles
Tsementnopeschanaya tile shards is not different in shape from ceramic tiles. Therefore, externally, both materials are very similar.
Roofing is manufactured from a cement-sand mortar, to which is added a colorant and a plasticizer.
Dignity. The cement-sand tile has the following advantages:
- Cost. Price two times lower than the cost of ceramic tiles;
- Durability. The material is resistant to humidity, temperature, UV and other negative influences. Therefore, the durability is at least 50 years. Some manufacturers, for example, Baltic Tile, claim the longevity of 100 years;
Externally, the roof of the cement-sand tile is not easy to distinguish from ceramic - it is a big plus
- Attractive appearance. This material is the most authentic character of a ceramic tile. True difference is still there, they are in a more uniform color, ie, without overflow, lack luster, and so on. Therefore, to talk about the absolute outer identity is not necessary;
- Sound-proof quality. The coating does not make noise during precipitation;
- Fire safety. Highly resistant to fire.
Disadvantages. Lows in the cement-sand tile is the same as that of the ceramic. Moreover, it has more weight because of the greater thickness. At the same time it has the strength lower than that of ceramic.
Cement-mortar lining weighs more than ceramic
Features choice. High-quality tiles should have a smooth surface and a flat shape with a clear profile. No curvature are not permitted. When tapping on a tile, it must publish a clear sound, no bounce.
Cost. Material, though cheaper than ceramic tile, call it cheap it is still impossible:
|Mark||Rub. per 1m2|
Soft tile - piece of bitumen-polymer material
Option 5: soft tile
Soft or shingles is a material made of a modified reinforced bitumen. Obverse such tiles prokryta cement stone granules, performing not only decorative, but also a protective function.
Shingles exist in a variety of colors
Dignity. Soft tile has the following properties.
- Design. Coverage exists in different colors and different shapes. Moreover, its decorative qualities at a height;
- The weight. Because shingles is lightweight, does not require a strong roof truss system;
Flexible roof tile can be covered complex shape
- Flexibility. Due to this quality, this cover is perfect for mounting on a complex shape of the roof;
- Good sound insulation qualities. The coating is absolutely no noise;
- Good tightness. Shingles after installation glued to each other.
Alternative Shingles - slate roofing. Its main advantage is durability - Material can last more than 100 years. The truth is slate tiles are very expensive - the price starts from 3000 rubles per square meter.
Slate tiles - durable, but very expensive roofing
- The need for a solid crate. This slightly increases the weight of the roof and complicates the installation process;
- Life time. On average the material is 25 years;
This roof will last at least 25 years
- The big difference in quality. there are many low-quality shingles on the market;
- High price. This material is more expensive metal. However, please note that the amount of waste considerably less than the installation of shingles than when laying the sheet materials.
Shingles can be used for roofs with a slope of not less than 12 degrees.
Features choice. Pay attention to the decorative layer, if it crumbles badly, it means that the building material for the roof is short-lived.
Shingles Docke not only beautiful but also durable
Cost. The price of shingles depends on the manufacturer:
|Mark||Rub. per 1m2|
|IKO ARMOURSHIELD||from 680|
|owens Corning||from 1000|
Sheet bitumen-polymer material - Ondulin
Option 6: ondulin
This wave sheet material made of cellulose impregnated with bitumen. Outwardly, it resembles a painted slate. Therefore, it is called bituminous slate.
- Little weight. The sheet weighs approximately 6 kg. Due to this, this material is often used to repair roofs of private houses, laying directly on top of old coating, for example, slate;
Ondulin can be mounted on top of an old roofing
- Attractive appearance. The material has an intense color;
- Sound-proofing qualities. During precipitation covered Onduline roof does not make noise.
New ondulin resembles a painted slate
- Fragility. Well-known manufacturers offer a guarantee on material 10-15 years. Ondulin from little-known manufacturers can be rendered useless after only a few years after installation;
- Fade in the sun. Guarantee, which gives manufacturers on color does not apply. As practice shows, the material burns much before the end of the declared period of service;
Ondulin quickly becomes unattractive
- Low strength. Roof covering can damage the branches of trees, especially in sub-zero temperature, when the material becomes brittle;
- Instability to high temperatures. Under the influence of sunlight may deform.
Thus, ondulin - not the best of modern materials for the roof.
Cost. Despite the fact that the budget ondulin considered material, it costs more than the price of some brands of slate and metal:
|Manufacturer||The cost in rubles per sheet|
Slate - the cheapest roofing material
Option 7: Slate
This is a traditional roofing material in our country. He has not lost its relevance, despite the recent emergence of a large number of competitors.
- Durability. The cover can last 30-40 years or even longer;
The roof of slate will serve for decades
- Fire safety. Slate made of asbestos-cement solution and that's it;
- Low cost. Material costs less Ondulina and metal;
- Good sound insulation qualities. No noise during precipitation.
Painted slate is being protected from biological effects
- Appearance. Gray slate looks unattractive, however, the fault is solved painting;
- The need for care. The surface of the slate quickly darkens and becomes soiled, moreover, it can grow moss;
Over time, the slate dark and overgrown with moss
- Fragility. The coating may crack during transportation or installation. In addition, over time, to a stacked slate cracks;
- A lot of weight. SquareMeter slate weighs about 9.5 kg.
- Low environmental friendliness. As part of the slate has asbestos, which is harmful to health.
Cost. The price of the slate depends on its size:
|illustrations||Rub. per 1m2|
The photo-polymer bitumen roofing felt - evroruberoid
Option 8: evroruberoid
This rolled material on the reinforced bitumen-based polymer. As soft tile, the front surface is covered with a protective evroruberoida decorative coating (grit).
Euroruberoid has a multilayer structure - this makes it strong and durable material
- Strength. Fabric reinforced with fiberglass, glass-fiber or polyester, thereby capable of withstanding high mechanical loads;
- Durability. Manufacturers claim that the service life of the material is 15-25 years. premium coating is able to serve 30 years;
- attractive appearance. Due decorative strewing material looks quite presentable;
On sale there are different colors evroruberoid
- Easy installation. laying of roll coating instruction is quite simple. Moreover, evroruberoid does not require the continuous purlin, unlike soft tile;
- Low cost. Euroruberoid is much cheaper soft tiles.
Installation of bituminous materials, including evroruberoid, can only be done at zero temperature.
Euroruberoid most commonly used for flat roofs
- The need for waterproofing. Like all other roofing materials, Euroruberoid require additional waterproofing of the roof;
- The difference in quality. As in the case of the soft tile, the market there is a set of low-grade material, which strew washed off quickly.
Cost. The cost of the material affects the type of foundation and the manufacturer:
|Mark||The cost in rubles per roll|
|TechnoNikol roll 15m2 (fiberglass)||440|
|KRMZ 4,5h10m (fiberglass)||950|
|Orgkrovlya 10m2 (fiberglass)||760|
|Flex 10m2 Poliruf roll (polyester)||1250|
Now you are familiar with the basic properties of roofing, and will be able to select the best roofing material for roofs according to your requirements and budget. I recommend to view the video in this article. If you have any questions - write comments and I will gladly help.