Hacksaw on a tree - the secrets of choosing the ideal tool
Table of contents
1 Criteria for selection of the tool
- 1.1 The length and width of the web
- 1.2 Material web
- 1.3 The size and configuration of the teeth
- 1.4 Types nozhovok and the most popular options
- 2 Output
Quality hacksaw allows you to quickly cut the bars and the board
During the work I often have to cut a variety of wooden items. And if you can not use the power tool, to the rescue comes a hacksaw on wood. I'll tell you how to choose high-quality tool, and point out what to look for when buying. And as a bonus, I will list a few specific embodiments, which are best shown themselves in their work.
Hand saws wood can cope even with small logs
Criteria for selection of the tool
The main characteristics of any handsaw are:
- The length and width of the web;
- Type of steel from which the manufactured web;
- The size and configuration of the teeth;
- type of construction.
We analyze in detail every aspect.
The length and width of the web
Concerning these aspects need to know the following:
short hacksaw used for cutting small items. the working web length in them is not more than 30 cm.
With this embodiment the tool is very convenient to cut thin bars and sheet materials such as plywood, hardboard and particle board.
The tool can be of different types, details this aspect is described below.
Average options suitable for any work. The most popular type of tool has a blade length of 35-50 cm. With such a hacksaw can cut any boards and bars.
That is the decision I recommend to all beginners to masters who occasionally perform work of a different nature.
|Handsaw than 500 mm. This embodiment is used primarily for the longitudinal sawing thick elements. They occur infrequently, as cut large sticks or logs manually is very difficult.|
|Web of 50 mm width. This so-called narrow hacksaw used for cutting small items and a small sheet metal thickness.|
Hacksaw blade with a width of 100-200 mm. Most often the web tapers to an end, that is, the width varies from the handle to the end of the web. This configuration simplifies the sawing and reduces the chance of getting stuck in a tree leaf.
There are variants of the same width along the entire length of the web. Most cases Saws and obushkovogo type (their characteristics described below).
The wider the blade, so it is harder, but also the likelihood of getting stuck working part in a thick piece of wood above.
Concerning the length, it should be about twice the thickness of cut elements. This ratio allows you to work with a flourish, and the arm will be much less tired. on the package instructions will tell you to see where exactly is this or that model.
On the eye, this aspect is difficult to determine, therefore, the packaging should be sure to have all the information:
- steel grade. Most often used in manufacturing one of the following: U7, U7A, U8, U8A, U8G, U8GA, U9A, U10, 8HF, 9HF, 9HS, 65G, 60 C2A. This all makes alloyed steel with high hardness and good wear resistance;
- The hardness of steel. The minimum rate that must comply with a hacksaw on wood - 45 HRC, but it is better to choose options with a hardness of 50 to 60 HRC. The marking is either on the packaging or on the web hacksaw, the photo below shows a variant with a hardness of 55 HRC;
Marking hardness often located on canvas hacksaw
- Quenching. For the strength of the teeth of the saw blade can be subjected to hardening. In this case, they are of particular strength and wear resistance. But it can not be hardened teeth to grind, so after wear fabrics need to buy a new instrument. Untempered options quickly wear out, but they can erode as appropriate special file.
When hardened steel darkens, according to this feature is easily distinguished hardened saw
If you use a hacksaw only occasionally, it is best to purchase a seasoned option. At infrequent use it will last for at least several years. With the active use untempered better to take a hacksaw and sharpen it as required.
Grinding is done using special nail files
The size and configuration of the teeth
Analyzing how to choose a hacksaw on wood, particular attention is paid to the teeth. They determine the quality of the work and its performance.
Tooth pitch determined indicator TPI, this abbreviation denotes the number of teeth on a 1 inch (25 mm). All products have the appropriate labeling, so is not difficult to understand:
- Close-up tooth. This 3-6 TPI. With such embodiments provides better performance. Hacksaw cuts very quickly, but it affects the ends and cutting quality is not very high. This option is suitable for work in which speed is important;
Hacksaw with a large tooth cut wood very quickly
- average tooth - 7-9 TPI. The universal tool embodiment that provides good quality with average cutting speed of the work. This is the option you need to acquire if you cut a variety of materials;
Medium variant of the teeth - the most popular and versatile
- fine tooth - from 10 TPI and above. Such hacksaw used where the greatest importance is placed on quality. The ends are obtained neat and burr-free scoring, but speed is many times less than when cutting with a hacksaw with a large tooth.
Hand saw with fine tooth provides the best quality of work
It is very important to choose the right and the type of tooth. From this depends directly on the technical characteristics of a hacksaw on a tree:
|Hack-saws for longitudinal saw. Used for cutting wood along the grain and have a curved tooth. This configuration provides cutting in only one direction when the tool goes the other way, then removed from the cutting chips.|
|Hack-saws for cross cutting. Used for cutting across the grain of the material. Have smooth, triangular teeth with sharpened on both sides, allowing you to cut elements in two directions.|
|Universal hacksaws. Are trapezoidal chamfered tooth special configuration. performed equally well with the help of the longitudinal and transverse cutting.|
Special options. Modern professional hacksaw can have unusual variant teeth that are divided into individual blocks.
This type of tool is designed for cutting raw wood, through gaps filings are removed very efficiently.
Do not buy cheap hacksaw this type, since their quality is very low. Good show themselves only professional options.
Types nozhovok and the most popular options
All products can be divided into 4 groups:
- narrow hacksaw. They have a small web width and are designed for shape cutting of sheet materials and the sawing of small elements;
- Bow saws. They represent a frame with cloth stretched. Used when cutting elements of large diameter;
Luchkovye hacksaw cumbersome, so rarely used
- Obushkovye hacksaw. Have a rib at the top, so that the web does not bend when working. With this tool, you can do with your hands perfectly straight cuts;
Obushkovoy saw handy to kill plinth in Miter
- standard options. The most popular and common type of saber. It offers versatility, ease of use and compactness.
Now I will give a couple of examples. Saws, listed below are checked personally and performed well:
- Stanley General Purpose. Very good option with an average size of the tooth (8 TPI). Cuts easily and fast enough, also suitable for wood and sheet materials based on it. Hardened edge ensures durability. The price is about 800 rubles (prices are relevant for the spring of 2017);
Reliable option with a convenient handle
- Gross Piranha. Excellent tool that is available in different versions with different lengths and sizes of teeth. Hardened steel with high strength is very durable, while metal Teflon coating provides a smooth running during cutting. It is this version of about 1000 rubles.
A great tool for quality cutting wood
Now that you know exactly what kind of a hacksaw on a tree is needed in your case. I recommend to view the video in this article, and if you have any questions - ask in the comments.