The lack of space on the site is a headache of many truck farmers, the desire to plant as many plants as possible is very great, because no one will give up kilogramsTasty vegetables or fruits. Alas, not always it is possible to realize the plan conceived in a reality, therefore a hothouse on a roof of any country construction can become an excellent variant for the economical gardener.
- How to build a greenhouse: a greenhouse on the roof of the garage
- Greenhouse on the roof of a private house: 3 ways of arrangement
- Advantages and disadvantages of greenhouses on the roof of the house
- Rational use of space: a greenhouse on the roof of a multi-storey house
- Greenhouse on the roof of a private house( video)
- Examples of greenhouses on the roof of houses( photo ideas)
Where to build a greenhouse: a greenhouse on the roof of the garage
European summer residents have long been usingarea for the construction of roofs of greenhouses, greenhouses, so the idea they will not seem new. There are several technologies for growing plants in such an environment and each has its own characteristics.
Growing in greenhouses erected on the roof of a garage or a private house can be carried out in three ways.
- Without the use of soil. This technology is called hydroponic. The gardener must provide a moist environment, and instead of the soil uses a special solution.
- Application of a fertile soil layer. Thus, the plant falls into conditions that are as close to natural as possible. However, it is worth remembering that for each species a certain layer is necessary. So for herbaceous plants, it should be at least 20 cm.
- Using pots and containers.
Before starting construction, there are many factors to consider. Especially important is the strength of the roof, since the earth has considerable weight.
If the structure is capable of withstanding a high load, compost can be used, no - it is better to replace the earth with peat. It is much easier, but it will have to be changed often.
Watering in a greenhouse on the roof is usually carried out using a drip system, when water is supplied to each plant individually. Also worth thinking about is the ventilation and heating of the hotbed in the cold season. Experienced gardeners are advised not to skimp and purchase electric heaters. Infrared models that run on solar panels, excellent options for greenhouses on the roof of the garage.
Greenhouse on the roof of a private house: 3 ways of arrangement
Before starting work, it is worthwhile to draw a design design. To erect a flat roof is required.
There are three ways to locate the greenhouse:
- Directly on the roof itself;
- In the attic of the house. It is necessary to make a new transparent roof( polycarbonate or slate);
- By attaching a separate, protruding part of the building( bay window) with transparent walls.
Correct calculation of bearing capacity of the floor is an important part of the project. To avoid unpleasant consequences, it is better to use the services of a specialist.
The elements for the greenhouse are chosen light and strong so as not to create additional stress on the foundation. Usually a metal frame is used, and the walls and roof of the greenhouse are made of polycarbonate.
Strangely enough, but the main disadvantage of growing plants at the top is the summer heat, so you should carefully consider the system of ventilation and water supply.
If the roof is too steep, the greenhouse can be built in the attic, and a part of the canopy can be replaced with windows so that the plants receive the required amount of sunlight.
Advantages and disadvantages of greenhouses on the roof of the house
The greenhouse built on the garage, the roof of a multi-storey or private house, is undoubtedly a number of pluses. The greenhouse on the roof can protect the roof of the building from rain, and the design in the attic - to increase the thermal insulation of the home.
Other advantages of greenhouses on the roof :
- Clean window sills are the dream of any grower who grows seedlings in the room.
- Save on the backlight. Buildings, tall trees do not interfere with the interaction of sunlight and plants.
- No problems with heating. It is possible to skip the central heating and the heat of the hood through the structure.
Among the shortcomings is the difficulty of transporting everything that is necessary for growing plants( soil, fertilizers, etc.) to the top and harvesting the house. Especially if he promises to be rich.
Rational use of space: a greenhouse on the roof of a multi-storey house
If there is no bathhouse or shed, and you want to own your own greenhouse, the roof of a multi-storey building is also suitable. In Europe, especially enterprising comrades have long practiced greening the roof, for which the government even provides them with tax relief. But in Russia, greenhouses on the roofs still cause some bewilderment. But in vain, because the cultivation of vegetables or fruits on the roof can be good to earn.
Thanks to modern technology, you can grow everything your heart desires: from dill to small trees. Everything depends on the climatic conditions of the region. Since plants do not need sunlight, one should count on an early harvest.
By the way, the mayor of the capital of Great Britain himself proposed to engage in the cultivation of vegetables and fruits to residents on the roof of houses. This statement was made before the Olympics. So the London mayor proposed to provide all the guests of the city with fresh and environmentally friendly food.
Greenhouse on the roof of a private house( video)
Many European cafes and restaurants have their own greenhouses on the roof, thus owners save on the purchase of vegetables and fruits for visitors. And in the capital of Japan, where there is a problem of space deficit, owners of houses are fined if the roof area of their dwelling is more than 10 m2 and it is not planted.