Beginners in the issue of needlework will not be out of place to learn what is called the cross-stitch fabric. It is produced of various kinds, adapted to any kind of artistic embroidery. Flax, plastic, HB - each of the materials is different in physical parameters, so before buying them, it is worth studying carefully. The more precisely the canvas is selected, the less problems there will be in the process of direct embroidering.
- Criteria for selecting a quality basis for the work
- Cross-stitch fabric: about flax and its strength
- How to embroider a cross on a fabric: a mixed material type
- Types of fabrics for cross-stitching( video)
Criteria for selecting a quality basis for the work
Flax, cotton, plastic and matting are the first and most common criteria for dividing the base for embroidery. Each material has its own requirements regarding the allowable number of colors and decorative elements. The most demanding is HB - no more than 2 colors, and more versatile - flax. Its sturdy structure is suitable for cross stitching of any shapes and colors. Those wishing to make volumetric compositions should pay attention to the plastic version of the canvas.
As the experience is gained, the needlewoman will be able to more accurately select the required material:
- Bellan a - the softest type of weaving is 20 threads per 1 inch square. Used to create home decor objects;
- Murano - suitable for uniform weaving. Suitable fabric for shirts;
- "Lagoon" - varies from №1 to №27 depending on the degree of rigidity. Unlike other options, embroider a cross here is necessary without necessarily dividing into squares;
- "Aida" - is used when it is solely for counting embroidery. Made from natural cotton. The size of the weave varies from 4x4 to 20x20.The higher the value, the higher the density the material has. If the production of tapestries is made on the canvas with the number 25, then napkins - № 1-3.
Regardless of the type of canvas chosen, it is necessary to carefully study its characteristics. This refers to the ability of the material to withstand water procedures. In the washing machine to send embroidery is not worth it, but from time to time it needs washing. If the material lacks a separate indication of the possibility of conducting water procedures, then it is worth to refuse the purchase.
Cross-stitch fabric: about linen and its strength
For volumetric compositions in all respects, a strong fabric is needed. This is flax. Thanks to natural material, the structure of flax withstands any number of threads. A variety of color variations are allowed. Depending on the types of interlacing, several types of bases for embroidery are distinguished. A beginner is useful to know that each species is called in digital format.
The digit denotes the number of threads per inch of area. The higher the value, the greater the density of the material.
It is used for the following purposes:
- No. 20-22 is used to create compositions in one thread;
- No. 23-25 allows the use of up to 2 inclusive "Mulino" threads;
- No. 26-29 is characterized by a diverse palette;
- No. 29-32 is used for finishing the collar of clothing;
- no. 40 and higher can withstand long water procedures.
How to embroider a cross on a fabric: a mixed material type
The complexity for beginners is a mixed type because of the need to take into account its physical parameters. On such a canvas it's easy to embroider tapestries or bedding. The main thing, as in previous cases, is to choose the right type of tissue. Classical schemes for embroidery must necessarily include an indication of which type is best used.
Opens the list of the mixed type with the lowest density level - "Flooba".Unlike ordinary fabric, it consists of 7/10 viscose and 3/10 cotton. Due to the uniform color, visually creates an effect of light abrasion. Used for tablecloths and individual clothing items.
Other types of mixed canvas type have the following characteristics:
- "QUAKER" - made from flax and cotton in equal proportions. Suitable for multi-color composite solutions;
- "Thin Linen" - allows you to embroider unique paintings and tapestries in all respects on a white background;
- "Bed linen" - with its soft to the touch smoothness to sleep on such bedding will be a complete pleasure.
In addition to the listed types, a canvas with a rigid weave is distinguished, with which it is easy to create any composite solution. Embroidery goes smoothly and over time does not lose its form. If you plan to perform work on the homespun cloth for beads, then you need to use "Quaker".
Types of fabrics for cross-stitching( video)
Canvas - a variety of fabrics used as a basis for embroidery. It is produced on flax, CB, in a mixed form and with a hard weave. Each species is used for certain purposes, so before starting work, it is advisable to read the instructions. It concerns both the potential width of the used color palette and the number of threads.