Crosslinked polyethylene is a new generation material from which pipes for various purposes are made. These products are suitable for heating systems, cold water supply, as well as for laying a warm floor.
- Technological process: cross-linked polyethylene for the warm floor
- What are the characteristics of the XLPE pipe
- ? Features of connecting the elements: stitched propylene
- What to choose: cross-linked polyethylene or plastic for the floor
- Stage of installation of a heated floor of cross-linked polyethylene
- Cross-linked polyethylene: installation( video)
Technological process: cross-linked polyethylene for the warm floor
The technological process of cross-linked polyethylene is carried out with the participation of an electron flow. As a result, a three-dimensional molecular mesh is created, to improve the characteristics, the material undergoes additional nitrogen treatment.
Thanks to this technology, the pipe material has a number of positive characteristics.
There are several types of polymers depending on the treatment applied. The highest properties are possessed by pipes produced with the use of hydrogen peroxide.
This material has the following characteristics:
- High melting point. The process begins at a temperature of 200 degrees. The impact of higher parameters leads to its decay into gas and water.
- No toxicity.
- Durability in operation.
- Resistant to various solvents.
- Withstands low temperatures.
Like any material, cross-linked polyethylene has drawbacks. Products react negatively to exposure to ultraviolet rays. The structure becomes more fragile. With proper transportation, storage technology and operation problems can be completely avoided.
What are the characteristics of a pipe made of cross-linked polyethylene
Pipes made of embroidered polyethylene are used to create a warm floor, which allows to heat the room and create comfort and coziness in the cold season.
Available at a price and corresponding to the necessary requirements, they are gaining increasing popularity. International name of the material RE-X.
When selecting pipes, it is necessary to pay attention to the degree of cross-linking. Standard performance is from 65 to 80%.
There are three ways of obtaining the material influencing the cross-linking process:
- Peroxide or REX , the strongest pipe withstanding low temperatures up to 110 degrees, is not exposed to chemical reagents, has memory and shock resistance.
- Silicone REX- b , the best option for price-quality, ideal for laying underfloor heating in private houses. The degree of cross-linking is more than 65 percent.
- Radiation PEX with , the material is more rigid, less resistant to temperature changes, the degree of cross-linking is 60%.
The popularity of products is associated with a host of advantages. First, the pipes have a low weight, which is convenient for transportation, storage and installation. Secondly, not a complicated way of laying, the products are easy to bend and mount. The main advantage is the lower cost of the material.
The positive technical characteristics include:
- Shock resistance and good memory;
- Withstands high and low temperatures;
- No toxicity;
- Electrical non-conductivity;
- Absorption of noise and vibration.
You can install the warm floor yourself, a simple installation does not require special skills.
Peculiarities of connecting elements: stitched propylene
Crosslinked polyethylene is a plastic polymer, so the joining methods are practically the same as those of other types of polyethylene.
The following connection types are available:
- Pressed method. In this case, a special tool and press fittings are used. It turns out an all-in-one single connection.
- Crimp, the most simple method, is used for cold and hot water supply, easy to install and easy to dismantle.
- Welded method, is used extremely rarely. Special skills and equipment are needed.
For assembly work, a knife-pruner, wrenches, fittings, press machine, expanders are required.
When purchasing fittings, preference should be given specifically to the sewn polypropylene.
For the crimping method, it is necessary to cut the pipe, thread the nut in the direction of the connector. Then tighten and secure the split ring. The end of the pipe, together with the nut and the ring, should be inserted into the fitting of the fitting until it stops. Tighten with a wrench.
During pressing, a press sleeve is put on the pipe, the end of the pipe is expanded with a special tool, the fitting is put on and the resulting structure is pressed in this position.
Such methods will help to make connection of several elements without application of special knowledge and skills.
What to choose: cross-linked polyethylene or metal plastic for the warm floor
The main constituent part of the warm floor is the pipes. The further work and the life of the coating depend on the quality of the material. When installing a warm floor, different types of pipes are used. The most common are metal-plastic, polypropylene and cross-linked polyethylene versions.
Metal-plastic was developed specifically for underfloor heating. The structure consists of several layers. Inside and outside of polyethylene, aluminum foil passes between them.
The material has a number of advantages:
- Low expansion when water is heated;
- Resistance to corrosion;
- Easily bends and holds a shape;
- Smooth surface;
- Sound insulation;
- Durability of the material;
- Easy installation.
Pipe connections are made using various fittings, which additionally increases the cost of the structure. When working with a special tool, pipe cuts are possible.
When comparing both materials it is clear that they have similar qualities, but there are differences.
Metal-plastic structures are faster heated and easier to stack. If you intend to install a complex layout, it is better to give metal plastic. Polyethylene pipes with the heating of water tend to take the original form, so they need a good fixation in the bends.
The sewn polypropylene has a high heat dissipation, therefore at installation it is possible to make gaps between pipes wider, which will affect energy saving. The sewn propylene is an order of magnitude lower than the metal-plastic.
It is necessary to decide what materials will be used for warm floors, based on the complexity of the layout, price policy and preferences of the owners.
The basic stage of installation of a heated floor made of cross-linked polyethylene
Before installing a warm floor, it is necessary to make a layout diagram. The most popular styling snake, snail and a combined version.
To calculate the number of pipes, the following parameters must be adhered to: the maximum length of the contour should not exceed 120 meters, the laying step varies from 10 to 35 cm.
The water heating system is not limited to the purchase of pipes. It will be necessary to purchase a boiler, mixing unit, pump and fittings.
The installation starts with the main heating element - the boiler. If it is a gas version, the installation should be entrusted to specialists. After that you can work with the floor.
Basic stage of work:
- A floor base is prepared, various impurities and debris are removed. If there are differences, you need to make a rough screed.
- Waterproofing material is laid on the surface, joints are glued together with adhesive tape.
- Along the perimeter of the room have a damper tape, gluing to the walls.
- Lay the heater, the sheet is overlapped.
- Have reinforced mesh, which will serve as a fastener for pipes.
- Lay out the polypropylene circuit, fixing with wire or special clamps.
- The contours are connected to the collector.
- Carry out a test crimp.
- Complete the installation with concrete pouring, pre-reinforcing the surface.
Cross-linked polyethylene: installation( video)
Heated floor made of cross-linked polypropylene pipe will be an economical solution for creating comfort and comfort. High heat transfer allows you to move around the house without excess footwear, play the kids on the floor without fear for health.