Heat in the home or workplace is one of the main conditions for comfortable living or quality productive work with the minimum probability of getting a cold. Very good, if such a microclimate provides an effective heating system. However, there are often situations in which the use of other heat sources is required, temporarily, or even on a long-term basis.
In this case, heat fans can come to your aid. These simple in their principled arrangement, not particularly expensive, but at the same time - very effective devices can very quickly bring the temperature in the room to the required comfortable level. Therefore, in so many families, such a heater is always kept in working order to come to the rescue at the right time to the owners. And those who do not have it yet, probably for several times thought about the need for such an acquisition. They also address this publication, which will tell how to choose a fan heater, so that it fully meets the needs of potential owners - in terms of operational efficiency, safety of operation, ease of use and, of course, at its cost.
The basic device of the fan heater. Areas of application for
devices Contents of the article
- 1 The basic device of the fan heater. Areas of application for
- 2 The selection criteria for the electric fan heater
- 2.1 The type of heating element.
- 2.2 Fan type
- 2.3 Type of fan heater
- 2.4 Functionality of the heat fan and safety system
- 2.5 What power device to purchase?
- 2.5.1 Calculator for calculating the required heat output
- 3 Popular brands and a brief overview of several models of fan heaters
- 3.1 Video: useful tips for specialists in choosing a fan heater
Any fan heater, independent of the level of complexity of the device and its additional features, has four main elements:
- The housing( item 1), in which all other units and mechanisms of the fan heater are arranged.
- A heating element( item 2) that converts electrical energy to heat and transfers it to the air flow through it.
- The air blower is a fan of one type or another( item 3), which forces the cold airflow to move from the room through the heating element, and then, after heating, back to the room.
- Control unit( item 4) - from the simplest, the type of toggle switch and power off, to the multifunctional, which includes a number of useful options.
The simple device of most fan heaters determines their affordable price and the widest popularity.
- Such heating devices keep the house in "reserve" in case of sudden accidents of the main heating systems. Very often they become in demand during the "off-season", for example, in the case of early cold weather in the fall, even before the beginning of the general heating season, or vice versa, during the spring "whims" of the weather. In addition, winter days are so frosty that radiators simply can not cope with the task to the fullest, and the fan heater comes to their aid.
- They are irreplaceable for periodic trips to a country house. While running heating will overcome its inherent inertia and go into normal operation, it will be possible to warm up using a compact and mobile electrical appliance. Well, if the "visit" is short-term, then the fan heater will not allow the stationary heating system to start at all.
- It is often possible to find fan heaters in workrooms, especially where the constant flow of visitors does not allow the heating system to maintain the optimum air temperature. Often resorted to the installation of stationary instruments, for example, ceiling or wall placement, which themselves act as the main and permanent source of heat.
- . Ambition workers often resort to help and heat fans, for example, to maintain the correct temperature in small greenhouses during the unstable spring weather, the year suddenly colds threaten to destroy flowers or seedlings.
- Another specific area of application is that during the repair or finishing works some owners with the help of fan heaters try to speed up the time of some technological operations - when plastering, filling, painting, etc.
In a word, such a useful device as a fan heater, the work will always be found. The main thing is to correctly select it according to the basic criteria.
Criteria for selecting an electric fan heater
Type of heating element.
All existing models of fan heaters in this parameter can be divided into three groups.
- Devices with spiral heating.
- Fan heaters with tubular heaters - heating elements.
- Fans with ceramic heating element.
Fans with spiral heating
This version applies to the most inexpensive category of devices. In such heaters, air heats up when passing through a spiral made of a metal alloy with a high electrical resistance( usually nichrome wire is used).The spiral can be in the form of a ring wound on a heat-resistant base and is located openly, keeping its shape due to the special configuration of the turns.
At work, the spiral heats up to very high temperatures - sometimes almost to a thousand degrees, red-hot. On the one hand, it would seem - well, there is an efficient heat exchange with the air flow that is sent through the device. However, the disadvantages of this arrangement are much greater:
- There is a possibility of an open flame if, for example, a large lump of dust or a paper fragment is drawn into the device by the airflow.
- An open spiral in contact with air always serves significantly less than encased in a shell, as is the case with TENs.
- An open spiral is an uninsulated conductor, through which an alternating current flows with a life-threatening voltage of 220 V during operation. Careless contact with it( for example, in uncontrolled children's games) can result in electric trauma.
- A lot of talk is that the spirals "burn oxygen".This, of course, is not quite so - there is no open flame, and heating has only a resistive basis, and for this participation of oxygen, of course, is not required. But, probably, no one will dispute that the microclimate in the room after a long work of such a heat fan is still far from ideal - a person may have dry mouth, and sometimes even headaches.
- Any fan heater in operation carries a considerable amount of dust suspended in the air. Sometimes they get into the air stream and small insects. The inevitable combustion of such organics on an open spiral is accompanied by a very unpleasant smell, which is especially felt when the appliance is started after a long storage.
So, the only, perhaps, advantage of devices with an open spiral is a low price.
Electric fan heaters with electric heaters
TEN is, in fact, the same spiral, but enclosed in a tubular shell, which is filled with a dry bulk filler - quartz sand or manganese oxide. The filler acts as an insulator, and as a heat transferring element, which evenly distributes heat through an external metallic or quartz shell.
The protection of the spiral significantly increases the level of electrical and fire safety of the device. The heating element lasts much longer. The temperature of the heating element during operation rarely exceeds 500 degrees - this is enough to effectively heat the air flow, but the effect of dust burning is not so pronounced.
To improve the efficiency of heat transfer to the air blown through the device, the heating elements are often "dressed" in special heat exchange "shirts" with ribbing, to increase the overall contact area. So, if such a device is chosen, this should also be taken into consideration - the heaters with heat exchanger plates will be more efficient and economical.
Fan heaters with tubular heating elements are often characterized by high power, and are usually used for heating large-scale production or office premises or for performing construction work. Models of household level with TEN almost do not occur. However, there is no clear boundary here, and sometimes for household needs it may be necessary to install a power of more than 2.5 - 3 kW, which can already be called a "heat gun".
Devices with ceramic heating element
The most advanced thermal fans with a ceramic heating element are currently considered. They are easy to distinguish even externally - the heat exchange element visible from the front part has a pronounced honeycomb( honeycomb) structure, somewhat resembling the radiator of a car.
Here the principle of energy conversion is somewhat different: semiconductor elements are used - posistors enclosed in a ceramic shell in the form of long plates, and the heat exchange grate is most often made of fine corrugated aluminum having excellent heat conducting properties.
look Semiconductor elements rarely heat above 150 degrees, which is predetermined by their high safety during operation. In addition, such heaters and the most economical. The fact is that the posistors have an interesting property of increasing the resistance with increasing temperature, up to a complete "locking".Thus, with increasing heating temperature, energy consumption on each of the elements decreases - the self-regulation principle works. And this - and the savings in the energy consumption, and the more smooth operation of the device itself, the reduction in the cyclicity of switching on and off, and hence the heater itself and the automation of the heat fan will last much longer.
The only significant drawback of thermal fans with a ceramic heating element can be called their price, - it is usually much higher than for models with a spiral.
So, the conclusion: from the point of view of economy of purchase the thermal fan with a spiral is in the lead. But if funds permit, it is advisable, without much doubt, to purchase an apparatus with a ceramic heating element, since it is both safer and more comfortable to operate. Well, the money spent on it soon will justify itself by the trouble-free operation and economical consumption of electricity.
Type of fan
These heating devices differ in type, in fact, the air blower - the fan.
Naturally, the electric drive is used everywhere( its consumption on the general background of power inputs is small).But the impeller with blades can be different.
- Axial fans are the most common. On the axis of the electric drive there is an impeller with blades having a certain angle of attack, which, when rotated, creates a flow of air. The direction of flow in this case always coincides with the position of the axis of the electric drive.
This scheme is very simple in its design, therefore in portable heaters and heat guns is most often used - it does not require the creation of any air ducts or ducts guiding the flow. Disadvantage of it can be called increased noise.
When choosing a device with this type of fan, preference, if possible, should be given to models with metal blades - they are more reliable and durable.
- In some compact heaters that have a squat horizontal, "flat" housing configuration, radial fans are installed.
They have a completely different impeller, which has a cylindrical shape with circumferentially parallel blades. Air injection in this scheme is achieved by creating a centrifugal acceleration. The fence is usually made from above, coaxially with the rotation of the wheel, and the outlet of the heated flow is carried out in a perpendicular direction.
The scheme is very effective, and with good wheel balancing and lubricated bearings, such a fan does not make much noise, and the created flow is much smoother than from conventional blades.
- Finally, tangential fans are the most productive and "quiet" in operation.
They always have a characteristic elongated cylindrical shape due to the special structure of the impeller( turbine).Naturally, this predetermines and the scope of their use - tangential fans are usually installed on stationary wall or ceiling models or on floor heaters of column type.
A kind of fan heaters - thermal curtains
The same tangential fans are placed on most models of this particular type of climate technology. How are the heat curtains for the entrance doors, and what should be taken into account when selecting and installing them - in a special publication of our portal.
Tangential fans are distinguished by high performance, even at not the highest drive speeds, and low noise in operation - they are almost not audible.
can be used. The type of fan to be installed depends on the overall dimensions and overall layout of the model, so in this regard, you will not particularly "run up" with options. However, if there are two similar models, for example, a column type, with one or two axial fans in one, and tangential ones in the other, then it is more reasonable to give preference to the tangential one. In any case, to clarify this issue will never hurt.
Not so long ago, there appeared on the market amazing novelties - bezlopastnye fan heaters. However, the matter is not yet fully studied and tested, and it is difficult to give advice on the acquisition of such equipment. And the cost of such models is still beyond reasonable limits.
Type of fan heater
The different models of fan heaters are a great many, but they can be divided into several groups according to the type of the device.
- Compact desktop fan heaters, as already mentioned, can be either vertical or horizontal.
- Vertical ones usually have an axial fan that generates a wide directional air flow. Typically, these models are among the most inexpensive. The disadvantage of them is their low stability with occasional external collision action, but they take up little space on the floor or on the desktop.
- Horizontally placed thermal rollover fans are practically not afraid - you can not be afraid that the floor will be turned over by a child or a domestic pet.
They have a warm air flow already because of the design features of the exit window, but it is possible to adjust the direction within certain limits by moving special blinds. As already mentioned, such devices with a radial fan are somewhat quieter in operation.
There are exceptions - models that allow you to change the working position from horizontal to vertical. But all the same in this case the scheme with the radial fan is used.
Typically, the fan heaters of the "desktop" class do not differ in power - it is usually limited to 1.5-2 kW.
- Floor fans can also have several typical layouts.
- Conventional outdoor fan heaters of increased power usually have a cubic body shape, are supplied with a carrying handle and legs or runners for reliable installation on the floor.
They are able to quickly and efficiently warm up the room, good for household purposes. But here for the constant heating of living rooms they are usually not used, because their appearance is unlikely to decorate the interior.
These fan heaters( heat guns) are also produced in a horizontally located cylindrical housing that also does not fit into the usual style of a dwelling. Their destiny, both in terms of productivity and in external execution, is still a household need.
- In the event that the fan heater is supposed to be placed on the floor in residential premises on a permanent basis, it is better to purchase a column type model. Such a device does not "eat" much space, and at the same time has high performance characteristics due to the large heat exchange area and the wide created flow of warm air.
type fit very well into the interior. The developers and designers give such fan heaters a very original look that will easily fit into the interior conceived by the owners.
- There are domestic heat fans wall-mounted. Outwardly they are very similar to the indoor unit of the split-system air conditioner.
split-air system. Such devices are extremely convenient, since they do not take up space, they are not accessible to children. They are equipped with remote controls, allowing you to make the necessary adjustments, up to changing the direction of the air flow due to moving shutters.
The power of such devices, as a rule, is sufficient even for using them as the main source of heating in the room. The only question is the profitability of this approach - for reasons of high energy costs.
- In domestic practice, almost no use, but still deserve mention and ceiling thermal fans. One example of such devices was shown in this article above.
The choice of any model for its external execution, of course, is based on the subjective preferences of future owners. But the additional functionality of the device is a special issue that requires additional consideration.
Functional equipment of a heat fan and safety system
- Even the simplest inexpensive modern fan heaters, as a rule, have several modes of operation. First of all, it is a heating function, usually with a two-stage setting of the heating level of the heat exchange element. And secondly, the operation of the device in the mode of a conventional fan, that is, with a switched off heating block - is very useful in the summer heat.
compact fan heater Thus, most compact household models on the mode switch( item 1) have four positions: "off", normal ventilation and two stages of heating the spiral( TEN, etc.)
- Seldom now you will meet the device and without the simplest thermostat( position 2).Of course, in inexpensive models of high accuracy of operation of this device does not go, and the scale has no gradation in degrees. Nevertheless, the use of such a regulator can bring considerable savings in the operation of the fan heater. The usual way is to turn on the device at full capacity until, in the opinion of the owners, the required temperature is set in the room. After that, the regulator is gently rotated backwards, in the direction of decrease. At some point, the fan will shut down - this means that this threshold corresponds to the temperature created in the room. In the future, the device must be switched on and off automatically.
- Of course, you can purchase an expensive model of column or wall type, in which a modern electronic control system is installed. Such devices are often equipped with a touch panel, LED or LCD display, through which you can precisely monitor the air temperature and set its desired value. Typically, these models are equipped with remote controls.
- In the floor heaters can be implemented another function - turning the body of the device with respect to its installation platform-base. The installation of the required position can be carried out remotely - a separate electric drive is provided for this. It is possible to set the mode of periodic change in the direction of the air flow - so the room will warm up much faster.
- A convenient function is the "antifreeze" option. In this mode, the fan heater will keep the room at a minimum temperature, for example 5-10 degrees, to prevent freezing of water in the pipes of water and heating, but at the same time it will consume a minimum of energy. Useful function when the hosts need to leave the house for a few days.
- There are models with a built-in humidifier - they have a capacity for pouring water.
Usually these two "circuits" work independently of each other - they can "act as a tandem" or individually. In fact, there are two devices in one housing. A good solution to ensure the most comfortable indoor climate.
- Very good, if the heat fan is equipped with a filter to clean the air that passes through itself.
A very important selection criterion will be the equipment of the device with protection systems. The combination of dangerous voltage and high temperatures for living space requires special precautions.
- First of all, the device must have a thermal relay, which must turn off the power in case of overheating. But even the presence of such a level of protection does not absolve the owners of the responsibility to constantly ensure that the fan heater is never covered, intentionally or accidentally, with a cloth or paper. The protection will work, but it may be too late - the probability of ignition of highly flammable materials is very high. This is especially true for heaters with an open spiral. In general, the minimum distance from the fan heater to any other object should be at least 500 mm.
- The second important element, especially for vertical placement devices - the position sensor. He must turn off the fan heater in case of tipping over, falling. To prevent hot air from entering, for example, covering the floor, furniture, etc.
is accidentally overturned. - If the owners plan to use the fan heater in rooms where there is a risk of splashing water( for example, in the bathroom), choose a device with a housing protection rating of at least IP44 .
- For fan heaters in metal housings, the issue of protection against phase breakdown on the case is actual. For them, only use sockets with a ground loop.
What power device to purchase?
One of the most important criteria of choice is the capacity of the fan heater, that is, its ability to generate and transmit the right amount of heat energy for heating the room. How to approach this issue?
First of all, you need to clearly understand the purpose for which the heater is purchased.
- If it is intended to be used solely as a support for the main heating system, to create a zone of increased comfort in a residential area during the winter frosty period, to provide a "warm breeze on the feet" or for additional heating of the office workplace, then there is no need to think too much. It is quite possible to buy a compact fan heater of low power, on the order of 1 ÷ 1.5 kW - this resource should be enough for the mentioned purposes.
It's another matter if interruptions with central heating are not uncommon, or when you plan to buy a device immediately, which can become a backup or even the main alternative to a home heating system. Here it is necessary to proceed from the sizes and features of the room, in which the use of a fan heater is planned.
It is generally accepted that for the qualitative heating of 10 m² of living space, 1 kW of thermal energy is required. We can agree with this, but only with a lot of reservations. So, this ratio will be true for a typical room with one window, with a sufficient level of thermal insulation of the walls, with a standard ceiling height, probably only for moderately cold winter temperatures. In short, many important criteria are simply not taken into account.
But in real conditions, especially in the sphere of private housing construction, there can be many options. Agree - it's one thing to heat a room with one window, from above and below which are heated rooms, and quite another - to ensure a normal temperature in a private house with a cold attic and a large area of glazing. Or, for example, the climatic conditions of the Belgorod region can not be compared with the winter temperatures of the Perm region.
Comprehensive calculations of the required heat capacity are based on complex formulas, numerous tabular values and correction factors, and it is impossible to perform such a calculation to a layman alone. However, we suggest you use the calculator below. He certainly does not pretend to be "scientific", but still allows more accurately to redistribute the required value, with a completely permissible error, but already taking into account many factors influencing the result.
Calculation of the required heat output
Popular brands and brief reviewseveral models of heaters
next question - how to approach to the choice of a particular brand.
The recognized leader in the manufacture of heating devices of this class is the Scandinavian company Timberk. Its products are always distinguished by high quality, durability, equipped with the most advanced developments in the field of management and operational safety.
Heaters from European companies General Climate, Electrolux and Delonghi deserve good reviews, especially since they are distinguished by a very reasonable price with high functionality.
Designers of Vitek try to keep up with the times. Despite some criticism of products, in particular - for "poor" design, the company's products are always among the top among Russian consumers.
The fan heaters brand "Ballu", "Polaris", "Scarlett" are quite trustworthy. And do not be too frightened that they are labeled "MadeinChina".Companies intentionally deploy their production facilities in China due to the availability of low-cost labor. But all the same, corporate quality control is carried out - it is important for producers to "not hit the dirt in the face".And the guarantee for the products is fully observed.
But here to completely unknown names, and in particular to those that are made in a certain consonance with famous brands, should be treated with the utmost care. This, of course, is also "China", but absolutely of a different level of quality( more precisely, its lack), and no one can give any guarantee that the fan heater will last long and does not cause any emergency. So - everything is at the risk and risk of the buyer.
In conclusion - a small comparative overview of several models of fan heaters.
|Model name||Illustration||Short description||Average price level|
|"Timberk TFH-S20SMD"|| One of the most popular models of desktop type of vertical execution. |
With dimensions of 256 × 212 × 118 mm and a mass of only 1 kg, the power reaches 2 kW.
Spiral heater, two power levels, blowing without heating.
Thermostat and function "antifreeze" - automatic activation when the temperature drops to a room below + 5 ÷ 7 ° C.
|«Scarlett SC-FH53001»|| Original desktop model, allowing both vertical and horizontal installation. |
Dimensions - 240 × 245 × 115 mm, weight 1.14 kg.
Power - 2 kW, two-stage adjustment.
Thermostat, overheating protection.
Ceramic heating element.
|«Polaris PCDH 2116»|| Floor model with the function of rotation of the case against the base. |
Thermostat with the original color display of the heating level in the room.
One control handle.
Two power modes - 800 and 1600 watts.
Ceramic heating element.
Protection against overheating and tipping.
|«Electrolux EFH / C-5115»|| Compact fan heater of desktop type of vertical installation. |
Qualitative assembly, quiet operation of the fan.
Dimensions 248x190x170 mm, weight - 1.4 kg.
Power 1500 watts, two levels.
Thermostat, overheating protection.
Several options for coloring the case - from white to black.
|«Scarlett SC-1053»|| Floor fan heater of column type. |
Rotating on the base of the case.
Dimensions - 450x165x130 mm, weight 2.5 kg.
Ability to set the desired temperature, thermostat.
Power - 2000 Watts.
Overheat and overturn protection.
Ceramic heating element.
|«Timberk TFH W250.ZM»|| Fan heater for wall mounting. |
Electronic control with precise temperature settings and built-in timer.
Dimensions 194x512x125 mm, weight - 5 kg.
Tangential low noise fan.
Ceramic heating element.
Power - 2500 W with the possibility of adjustment.
Built-in air ionizer.
All required protection levels.
|«FOXWELD EH-2R»|| Heater with axial fan of increased productivity( up to 230 m³ / h). |
Allows you to reach the required level of heating in residential, work or production premises in a short time.
Optimum solution for winter trips to the dacha, garage or home workshop - thanks to compactness and relatively small weight - only 3.6 kg.
Power - 2000 W with the possibility of step adjustment.
Thermostat. Adjustment of the intensity of the air flow.
Heater type - heating elements.