Blinds are not only the protection of the foundation from moisture and freezing, but also the decorative element of the building, giving its appearance completeness and charm. In addition, the blind area is often used as a path along the wall of the house, so the blind area of paving slabs performs the functions assigned to it as well as possible.
The advantages of a blind area from paving slabs or pavers include:
- Good waterproofing and thermal insulation of the foundation;
- Long service life;
- For its implementation do not need heavy equipment and cubic meters of concrete, all the work can be done by hand;
- No need for a reinforcing frame;
- The pavement tiles look aesthetically pleasing, with the right choice of tiles or pavers fit into any style of the building;
- If necessary, the blind can be partially dismantled, and then put in place. This is important when repairing communications.
You can use almost any paving slab or pavers to make a blind. In addition, you will need:
- Border for tiles;
- Roll waterproofing dense film; ;
- Clay for the device of the hydraulic lock;
- A small amount of cement for fixing joints;
- In the presence of drains - collectors and pipes.
To perform the blind area of paving slabs with their own hands, a private house usually takes several days off, and most of the time is needed for spilling and tamping the layers. The laying of the tile does not take much time.
Technology for paving tiles from
- Determine the width of the blind area based on the width of the selected tile, taking into account the width of the curb. Mark the area with roulette, pegs and twine and remove the soil to a depth of about 40 cm. If the top layer of the soil is clay, just remove 30 cm.
- Align the bottom of the trench and lay a ten-centimeter layer of clay, making a small slope from the foundation walls outwards. Clay is carefully rammed. On the site with clay soil, this operation can not be performed.
- Lay a layer of a strong waterproofing film on the bottom of the trench with an overlap on the foundation above the level of the erected blind area. The joints of the film with the foundation are treated with a sealant for external work.
- Sprinkle over the waterproofing sand with a layer of 5-10 cm. Align it and spill it with water to seal, carefully rammed. For better compaction, the spill can be repeated several times. In this case, you can not use a jet of water - it blurs the sand.
- is poured over the waterproofing film. Pipes from the future drain collector to the common well. Expose the border on the markings and level, temporarily fixing it with wooden pegs.
- The trench is filled with a layer of crushed stone with a fraction value of 20-30 mm. A layer of rubble - about 10 cm. Its purpose is to create an air cushion, which allows improving the hydro and thermal insulation properties of the blind area. Crushed stone is also rammed, after which temporary pegs are fixed, fixing the curb.
- Covering gravel with a layer of geotextile. This layer is necessary in order to prevent silting and sanding of air gaps in the rubble. In addition, the geotextile prevents germination through the stump of the roots of plants, which can cause swelling of the tile.
- A layer of sand 7-10 cm thick is poured over the geotextile. Sand is also spilled and rammed, then leveled with a rod so as to create a slope to the outside at 3-6 degrees. For convenience, you can fix on the foundation of the auxiliary bar, using the level, and laying on it and on the border leveling rail, level the sand.
- is rammed. The cobbles or tiles are laid starting from the foundation wall. It is put on a sandy backfill, tapping with a wooden hammer and leveling it, slightly drowning it in a sandy base. Tiles are adjusted to each other, making sure that there are no voids left. Install a water intake and a collector for a drain.
- water is also installed. The space between the tiles is covered with clean sifted sand and spilled with a spray of water. This operation is repeated several times until all gaps are filled with densely compacted sand. To avoid sand blurring during rain and germination of plant seeds, dry sand with dry cement can be mixed in a ratio of 1: 8 or 1: 6, and the final backfill layer is performed using this mixture. When pouring cement will seize, and the spaces between the tiles will not be subject to destruction.
- The border from the outside of the trench can be sprinkled with gravel below the ground level and to cement it with a cement-sand mortar.
The blind area made of paving slabs is not the cheapest method, and the bulk of the costs in it are for the purchase of the tile itself. However, if there is free time, the tiles can be made independently, the price of it is two to three times lower.
Manufacture of pavers and paving slabs
Sidewalk tile consists of a high-quality concrete mortar consisting of M500 cement, sand, fine fraction filler, plasticizer and color. For its manufacture, special shapes are required, which can be purchased under the order of the manufacturer of equipment for making pavers. You can also use homemade forms. In addition, for the production of tiles will require a vibrating table, the role of which can easily play an old washing machine, the machine is included in the spin mode.
Manufacturing technology for pavers and tiles:
- Prepare forms: washed from dust, dried, laid out on a vibrating table. The inner surface is treated with a brush by any dishwashing detergent.
- Mix the mortar: cement M500, sand, fine fraction crushed in dry form in proportions 2: 2: 2.For 15 kg of this mixture add 30 grams of superplasticizer for concrete, the dye if desired and diluted with water, thoroughly mixing until a fairly thick solution is obtained.
- The mortar is placed in molds about halfway, then the vibration is turned on for 0.5-3 minutes. If you use a washing machine, you need to put it in spin mode at high speed, after putting in the drum a heavy unnecessary wet thing, such as a jacket or blanket. After removing air bubbles, add the solution to the top of the mold and level it with a trowel, repeat the vibration.
- Forms with a solution put on a drying place in a dark place, covering them with a polyethylene film, so that moisture does not evaporate too quickly. After two days, the tiles are taken out of the molds, immersing them for 10-20 seconds in hot water, the temperature - about 70 degrees. After this procedure, with a slight impact on the bottom of the mold, the tile easily leaves.
- The resulting tile is laid on a flat surface with stacks and left for a final strength set for 3-4 weeks.
The blind area made from paving slabs made by own hands will not deal a serious blow to your wallet, but it will last for many years. To improve the thermal insulation properties of the blind area, it is also possible to produce a thermal insulation of the foundation with the help of a penoplex.