When repairing an apartment, there is often a situation where instead of the old tiles you need to put a new one. Work on dismantling the old tile is a difficult task, connected with the need not only to remove the tile itself, but also to remove large amounts of construction debris, to level the floor or walls. Therefore, the question "can I put a tile on a tile" occurs in such cases very often. Is it possible? Yes, subject to certain conditions.
Examining the old tiles
To find out whether it is possible to put a new tile on the old tile, it is necessary to examine the strength of its tie to the base. For this, the tile is first inspected to detect cracks and chips, falling fragments. If in appearance the tile is held tightly, it is taped with a wooden hammer, and if there is a chatter or the appearance of cracks, the badly fixed tile is broken off. If most of the tiles are kept poorly, and there are voids under it, you have to dismantle it, level the floor or walls, and only after that put a new tile.
You also need to find out if the floor level is above the threshold level of the room. Too much coating thickness on the walls also does not look aesthetically pleasing, and in this case it is also better to remove the tile.
Laying the tiles on the tiles
If the condition of the old covering is satisfactory, and the decision is made to lay the tile on the tile, it is necessary to give the old tile a roughness, otherwise it will be impossible to achieve good adhesion of the new tile. You can do this in several ways:
- Remove the glossy top layer from the tile;
- Make the notches on the tile;
- Treat the surface with a special primer.
The first two methods are labor-intensive and involve a lot of dust. The third method requires additional material costs for the purchase of a primer.
The removal of the top layer, as well as the execution of incisions, is performed with the help of a Bulgarian. This is done in order to create a contact between the tile adhesive and the lower moisture-absorbing layer of the old tile. The top layer of the tile can not be removed completely, and the area of contact of the glue with the tile should not be less than 60%.The incisions are applied at a distance of 1-2 cm from each other.
A more modern way of giving smooth, waterproof surfaces to the roughness is by treating it with a concrete-contact primer. This primer has excellent adhesion to the glazed top layer of tile and creates a rough coating on top of it, on which tile glue perfectly lays.
The technology of laying tiles on the tile:
- Cover the tiles and places of the tile with cement-sand mortar or tile glue level with the rest of the surface and wait for it to dry. The surface of the tile is cleaned of dirt, limescale and stains and wipe dry.
- Apply a primer to the tile with a brush or roller and wait 2-4 hours before it dries.
- Primer can be replaced by partial removal of the glaze with old tiles. Carry out this work with the help of a bulgarian, it is necessary to use protective glasses, since chipped and detaching small particles of the tile, which can damage the eyes, are possible. The gluing can be replaced by the partial removal of the glaze with the old tile. Carry out this work with the help of a grinder, it is necessary to use protective goggles, since chipped and peeling of tiny particles of the tile, which can damage the eyes, are possible.
- Apply tile glue with a smooth spatula, smooth, give it a relief with a notched trowel and lay the tile according to the usual technology.
- The drying of the adhesive in this case lasts somewhat longer, since the substrate has a low absorbency. Therefore, it is not recommended to work on the trowel and walk on the tile for 3-4 days after it is laid. Grout is produced with a rubber spatula with the help of special compounds.
When it is not recommended to tile the tiles
A tile laid on top of an old one can last for many years, but there are situations when it is not recommended. Laying tiles on the tile is undesirable if:
- When tapping, the tile does not collapse, but the sound is not uniform. This indicates the presence of air voids, and tiles laid on top of such a coating will create too much strain on the old solution, causing the tile to fall off with the old one.
- The room, for example a bathroom, has a very small area and poorly leveled walls. In this case, laying the tiles over the old tiles and thick plaster layer greatly reduces the useful dimensions of the room, and it is better to remove the old coating and make the lining according to all the rules.
- The tile is very old and prone to the formation of small cracks, chips, fracture of the top layer. The tile laid on such a foundation, will not last long, and everything will have to be altered.
- Under old tile old communications are laid without the device of revision hatches and access to pipes. If it is necessary to replace the pipes, it is necessary to carry out large-scale dismantling works and to remove both layers of the tile immediately. It is more rational to spend a little more time and money on dismantling and laying new pipes and tiles.
- The floor, tiled, is uneven or has a large enough slope to be leveled. In this case, it is better to remove not only the tile, but sometimes the old screed, and repair the floor according to all the rules.