Waterproofing membrane: everything you need to know about the material for the correct choice
Table of contents
1 types of membranes
- 1.1 polyvinylchloride
- 1.2 Of the ethylene-propylene rubber
- 1.3 polypropylene
- 1.4 profiled
- 2 Output
Waterproofing membrane - material that includes a whole group of roll waterstops differing characteristics and application. I'll tell you about existing variants of membranes and their main features, as well as explain how to select it.
Membrane - a reliable and effective modern waterproofing material
types of membranes
Currently, the most popular are the following types of waterproofing membranes:
types of membranes
Next, take a look at each of them
Application area. PVC waterproofing membrane film is widely used in various fields of construction.
Most often it is used for waterproofing of the following objects:
- flat roofs;
- swimming pools and artificial ponds;
- bridges and tunnels.
PVC film can be used for flat roofs
Reliability. PVC and fabric reinforcement through multiple layers have a high tensile strength and puncture resistance, as well as different elasticity;
- Heat resistance. The coating can tolerate frost and heating under the sun;
- Durability. Manufacturers claim that the service life of more than a quarter century;
PVC membranes are often used for waterproofing pools
- Resistance to adverse conditions. The film is not afraid to ultraviolet radiation, and resistant to mechanical stress.
Disadvantages. Of the minuses can be identified high cost. Therefore, the material should be applied only in cases where really needed waterproofing of all of the above quality.
In the photo - quality PVC membrane from domestic producers Technonikol
cost of (Current as of spring 2017):
|Mark||The cost in rubles per 1m2|
|Logicroof BIGTOP (for pools)||250|
Of the ethylene-propylene rubber
EPDM waterproofing membrane - is the most modern and most efficient to date, type of roll waterproofing materials. Scope of this coating have approximately the same as that of the polyvinyl chloride films.
EPDM membrane has high elasticity and strength
- Elasticity. The membrane is able to stretch to 400% - this is one of the main characteristics of this material. Through this painting fits well on irregular surfaces;
- Durability. Claimed the life of more than 50 years;
EPDM web can be used for artificial ponds
- Weatherproof. Heat-resistant material, not afraid of ultraviolet radiation. It can be used in any climate;
- Reliability. EPDM fabric PVC membranes not inferior in strength and resistance to punctures.
Nondelivery. The main drawback of this material is its cost. Painting is worth several times more expensive than polyvinyl chloride equivalent.
EPDM are of two types - with glued edges and vulcanized. Vulcanization provides a stronger and more reliable surface.
|Mark||The cost in rubles per 1m2|
|CARLISLE 9,15 x 30.48 m||700-800|
|Firestone EPDM Rubber Cover||540|
Polypropylene membrane - a relatively inexpensive and versatile waterproofing material
Application area. Polymer membranes based on polypropylene have gained immense popularity in the private and industrial construction. Most often they are used for waterproofing of the following surfaces:
- Roof space of pitched roofs;
- Framed and solid walls;
- Ceiling and so forth.
Polypropylene waterproofing film is often used for waterproofing frame walls and many other frame structures
Depending on the purpose, polypropylene membrane are of two types:
Vapor. Represent tight web, which does not pass any water or steam;
This type of membrane is suitable for waterproofing roofs cold, as well as for waterproofing insulation from the premises. In addition, you can use the steam waterproofing membrane to the floor and floor decks.
Diffuse membrane characterized by their ability to pass steam to one side
Diffuse. Capable of passing steam to one side, but did not leak water.
Diffuse membrane used for waterproofing roofs warm, and also for waterproofing ventilated facades and frame wall.
Installation Instructions diffuse membranes requires their arrangement on the outside, allowing moisture from the heater output. However, they must fit into the rough side, ie, thermal insulation.
Diffuse roofing membrane is great for "warm" roof
- Durability. The material is typically at least 50 years;
- Strength. Blades can withstand high wind loads. Some species of these membranes can even be used as a temporary roof cover, for example, in the case of seasonal freezing construction;
- Heat resistance. This allows the use of fabrics for interior and exterior works;
- Low cost. This waterproofing material worth several times cheaper than the membranes described above.
Alfresco polypropylene membrane becomes unusable after a few months
disadvantages. The minus is low resistance to UV light. Therefore, polypropylene films, depending on the grade can be used in the sun from 2 to 6 months, after which become useless.
|Mark||Cost per roll 1,5h50 m in rubles|
|YUTAVEK 100 (diffuse)||3800|
|Smart R 70 (vapor barrier)||1230|
|Turboizol «B» (vapor barrier)||650|
Profiled membrane has embossed hollow studs
Profiled membrane made of plasticized polyvinyl chloride, plasticized high density polyethylene, high density polyethylene or low density polyethylene.
Application area. The main feature of the profiled membrane is the presence on the surface of the extruded hollow spikes. This makes them suitable for external protection of all kinds of structures that are in contact with the ground.
The shaped membrane can be used for basement waterproofing protection
Most often they are used for the following purposes:
- To protect the waterproofing covering of the foundation;
- Everything for near-wall drainage of the foundation;
- As lower horizontal waterproofing of the foundation, if the structure is erected on site with shallow groundwater;
- Everything for draining the basis for implementation of blind areas, garden paths, domestic platforms, etc .;
The shaped membrane frequently used for horizontal waterproofing of plate and strip foundations
- Resistance to adverse conditions. This is the main quality that allows you to use this material in the soil. Thus it is not afraid of low temperature nor chemical substances;
- Strength. The coating is resistant to mechanical stress;
- Durability. A material with the correct laying their hands, able to last in soil for at least half a century.
Disadvantages: As such disadvantages in this material there. The only thing it can not itself provide the full vertical waterproofing of the foundation, therefore further used bituminous mastic and roll coating.
Vertical profiled foundation waterproofing membrane is carried out in combination with bituminous coatings
Furthermore, application of the material is limited to the use of under ground.
Price in rubles:
|Mark||Price per 1m2|
|Drawing Studio PRO||115|
Now that you know what is best waterproofing membrane to the floor, and what, for example, to the roof. Additionally, I recommend to see the video in this article. If some points you do not understand - write comments and I will gladly answer.