Moisture resistant laminate: covering laid in 3 stages
Table of contents
1 Privacy coatings from moisture
- 1.1 Methods of providing water
- 1.2 Water-resistant or waterproof?
- 1.3 Choosing coverage for wet areas
2 The use of the laminate in a high humidity
- 2.1 Step 1. Preparation for installation
- 2.2 Step 2. Installation of water-resistant panels
- 2.3 Step 3. for flooring Care
- 3 conclusion
Even such a coating, as a laminate, can be made stable to moisture
Moisture resistant laminate is used mainly in areas with high humidity and a high risk of water splashing onto the floor - in the bathroom, in the kitchen, and perhaps, on the balcony or loggia. We will analyze what this coating is different from the standard laminate, as well as look at how to style it properly, to fully realize the potential of moisture protection.
Privacy coatings from moisture
Methods of providing water
Diagram showing the basic elements of a moisture-resistant panel
If you believe the stereotypes, the laminate for the kitchen or bathroom - not the best flooring. Base panels made of pressed wood fibers, on contact with moisture swells and as a result the floor is deformed - first at the joints and then the entire area. And back cover original form would be impossible: just got wet - all only help replacing.
The photo - a spoiled cover: this is rare - but the water is capable of and this result
On the other hand, the "holy place is never empty," and because the appearance on the market of such a sought after material is moisture-resistant laminate, it was only a matter of time. Today, you can find a variety of patterns, good background and carrying moisture and regular wetting without any consequences. They look as attractive as conventional laminated coatings, and are more expensive if it is not an order of magnitude.
Laminate Moisture resistance is provided a number of modifications that manufacturers are making a construction panels:
Of these slabs of high density make the basis for the panel
- The structure of the base. And conventional, and made moisture-proof coating on the basis of HDF-boards (High Density Fiber - high density fiber board). But flooring, oriented for use in wet areas, HDF usually differs higher density (up to 1050 kg / m3) due to the more intense compacts during manufacture. In addition, as a raw material is not used shavings and sawdust, and the whole fiber, which also reduces the porosity of the material.
Compare plates impregnated (top) and without (bottom). In the first case, the base does not get wet, since moisture remaining on the surface
- base impregnation. Fiber-based floor covering is impregnated with special compounds. These compounds not only protect the wood fibers from contact with moisture, but also perform the function of antiseptic, preventing infection by bacteria and fungi panels. Often about treatment HDF antiseptic shows green tint panel on the cut and the edges.
Green - it is not 100% waterproof guarantee the presence of impregnation. Some manufacturers use transparent antiseptics, which after polymerization can not change the color of the fibers. Others, however, simply embellish the raw material, without any additional processing.
- Protection ends. The side faces of the first panel in contact with moisture, so it is their protection manufacturers usually give maximum attention. The ends of the laminate was treated impregnations containing wax and / or silicone, and due to this moisture, even penetrating into the gap between the panels, without prejudice.
The polymeric structure of the lock member may be turned on (indicated in blue), which provides a seam tightness
- Configuration lock. Moisture resistant laminate usually equipped with locks complicated shape, sometimes with polymeric inserts. This solves two problems at once: provide maximum tight and stable connection between two panels and minimize the risk of water flowing through the joint to be coated. From the castle the quality depends on the whole floor moisture.
Water-resistant or waterproof?
On the market today you can find two large groups of materials - the actual water-resistant and water-resistant laminate. All what we talked about in the previous section, it is water-resistant species concerned, that is laminated coatings on the basis of MDF of pressed fiber.
They even have a certain resistance to wetting, can still be deformed under strong and intensive wet - for example, for long term use in the bathroom.
Where the floor is constantly exposed to water, so even with temperature changes, it is necessary to use water-resistant coating.
Structure plastic panel waterproof coating: technological holes decrease the thermal conductivity
Features a waterproof laminate:
- The basis of the panel. If conventional products made on the basis of HDF-boards, the water-resistant - based panels made of PVC. As a result, the panel does not react to moisture, without deformation even after a test dive for 24 hours.
- product structure. Unlike plastic fiber board has a high thermal conductivity. To compensate for this drawback, inside the panel make technological voids that increase the heat and sound insulation. The configuration of the voids is selected so that the coating strength is not decreased.
Compound reconstituted panels almost seamlessly make coating
- Locks. As in the case of the moisture-resistant laminate, resistant panel mounted locking manner. Occasionally it included in the lock structure elastic member, increasing the density and tightness of the joint.
The material on the basis of PVC does not react to moisture
The obvious advantage can be considered the absolute stability to moisture.
But there is a water-resistant floors and cons:
- The structure of the material. As much as the manufacturers have not tried, but the plastic is still plastic, and because of tactile sensations coatings based on PVC will be inferior to the classical laminate.
Brochures claim that the plastic is almost indistinguishable from the usual laminate. In fact, the difference is well evident
- Fixation surface film. Laminated coating on a polymeric basis may suffer from delamination of a decorative layer due to the destruction of glue. An ordinary laminate this problem if it occurs, it is only in very cheap models.
- Limited range. Of the major manufacturers can be mentioned except that Aqua-Step (Belgium) and Dumafloor (France). As a result, you can find a suitable option is not always and not everywhere.
The palette of the reconstituted product
- High price. On average, waterproof coating costs about 1700 rubles per square. If we consider that even water-resistant laminated from top manufacturers (Tarkett, Praktik) will cost around 850-1000 rubles. / M2, it receives substantial overpayment.
In general, I would advise to use such material only where a long and regular contact with the water can not be avoided. In other cases it is enough to choose and correctly mounted conventional liquid-resistant varieties.
If you want to extensively wash the floors, the version with plastic coating fits perfectly!
Choosing coverage for wet areas
How to choose laminate resistant to moisture - a very important question. Offers on the market a lot, and to gain insight into the range, the reduced costs simply follow the instructions.
What aspects need to pay attention?
- Class coating. The higher it is, the longer the material will retain its operational characteristics, and therefore - the better the protection against moisture. For laying just in wet rooms (kitchen, bathroom) suitable class of 32, bathroom with outdoor showers and terraces - 33rd. Reinsured and buy laminate 34 class should not be - after all, he focuses mainly on commercial use.
Patterned surface is not only smaller slide, but also dry quickly
- The density of the base. The higher - the better, optimum is in the range from 800 to 1050 kg / m3. At these rates of moisture resistance coefficient is obtained from 18 to 5-6%.
This value is determined by immersing the panel in water for 24 hours and measuring the change of its size after swelling. The smaller the value - the higher the grade of water resistance of the laminate.
- The surface structure. To provide protection against moisture Exterior made dense and glossy. If it is at the same time will be even and smooth, there is a risk of a very slippery surface. Because for a laminate floor bathroom or kitchen, it is desirable to acquire textured model.
Locks should be reliable, with a good moisture protection
- Quality locks. Locks should be not only reliable, but also protected from swelling. In the first characteristic corresponds to a configuration for the second - deep impregnation water-resistant coatings. To check, try to scrape the inner surface with your fingernail or a key lock: in high-quality coatings moisture barrier composition is kept very tight.
The progress of the castles leads to such consequences as in this photo, so that this element should be treated very carefully
The rest, as usual:
- Design - entirely on your taste, as long as it fits harmoniously into the interior.
- Qualitative cheap laminate can not be determined. For water-resistant varieties of this statement is still valid.
Coloring floor covering can be virtually any
The use of the laminate in a high humidity
Step 1. Preparation for installation
Laminated coating water-resistant and antiseptic impregnated locks will be effective only if it is laid perfectly straight. Therefore, we need to pay attention to the training base to the panel installation - then they will not warp, and the water will not flow into the inside of the slots.
preparation technology base for stacking the laminate:
Checking the base level.
Rule or long check floor level plane. For laying moisture resistant coating is desirable that the plane swings does not exceed 2 mm to 2 m.
Base was treated with a grinder, removing irregularities. In the presence of large concrete sagging they can also knock down punch.
Using the building vacuum cleaner, is removed from the base surface polished concrete fragments and cement dust. Be particularly careful to treat the floor space adjacency to the walls.
After dedusting applied to the substrate with a primer penetrating waterproofing and antiseptic components.
Gruntuem floor in two stages, making a pause between each for 4-6 hours to polymerize the composition.
Bonding damper tape.
Along the perimeter of the room in the lower part of the wall is pasted strip of elastic porous polymer. It will provide additional waterproofing of the joint, but the main thing - compensates for thermal expansion of ties.
Preparing a self-leveling compound that is poured out on the floor in the room and spread the beginning of his rule, then smooth with a metal spatula.
To vent laminating a liquid screed spiked roller and leave for final smoothing and drying.
Naturally, this manual contains standard operating procedures. The algorithm works can differ depending on the starting surface condition. For example, if the floor is smooth enough in the room, before laying laminate it is possible to limit the application of grinding and water-resistant primer.
Conversely, if the difference is very large floor surfaces, you can not grind and pour a thick cement-sand screed, aligning it on beacons.
Step 2. Installation of water-resistant panels
Moisture resistant laminate flooring with your own hands is usually mounted on top of the substrate. In this case, it must not only compensate for irregularities in the substrate, but also provide protection against moisture penetration.
The sequence of work when laying water-resistant laminated:
Laying of waterproofing.
Laid on the leveled base rolled waterproofing material.
Designated compounds make out rolls with an overlap of at least 100 mm and sizing reinforced tape.
Gluing the seal.
Along the perimeter of the room pasted sealing tape. If the installation screed used a damper on the laying of the seal can be dispensed with.
Stacking of substrates.
Above the waterproofing layer laid tiled roll or substrate.
The best choice would be a material based on extruded polystyrene: peponolietilen shrinks and swells tube under the influence of moisture.
the substrate sheets are interconnected tape - so they will not disperse when laying the coating.
Laying of the first panel.
Installation of the flooring starts from the junction to the wall, the shower tray shower stall or bathtub.
The first panel carefully aligned, as it affects the image of the floor.
The docking locks.
Moisture resistant laminate has another important feature: the panel edges locks have high integrity. In order to put into practice all the advantages of this material, you need to carefully snap locks on the long side of the panel and firmly press the ends of the connection.
The gaps in the junction.
To compensate for temperature and humidity is required to reserve deformations coating along the walls and sides plumbing gaps 8-10 mm wide. To adjust the gap, you can use special blocking wedges.
Installing the junction strips.
Where the laminate is joined with the edge of the bathtub or shower stall podium, you need to ensure maximum tightness. For this purpose the gap insert angular strip with sealing elements.
For additional fixing strip can be fixed with screws.
Installation of baseboards.
Along the walls of the plinths establish a moisture resistant laminate. Width plinth should be sufficient for bridging the gap between the wall and the edge of the laminate.
All cracks and joints fill with sealant based on water-resistant silicone.
The result of - beautiful and durable coating
Step 3. for flooring Care
Waterproof laminate species compared to conventional coatings which are less demanding in nursing. To the floor for a long time to keep an attractive appearance, just follow some simple rules:
Large puddles better to remove immediately, without waiting for the occurrence
- Timely drying. Despite the fact that the material is not bad moves moisture, prolonged contact with moisture should be avoided. The sooner we remove the resulting mess, the less the risk of water ingress into the joint, followed by panel deformation.
- regular washing. The surface of the water-resistant panel is resistant to cleaning with the use of household chemicals. After togas as the floor is cleaned, it is desirable to wipe with a cloth soaked in clean water - as are guaranteed to be removed Detergent residues and stains on the surface do not appear.
Dust and debris in the joints of panels reduces the tightness of locks, so it is desirable to wash the cover regularly
- Drip. To improve water resistance and to improve the appearance of the coating can be rubbed special mastic. First composition is applied to the joints with a rubber spatula, removing excess damp cloth. Then treat the entire surface of the liquid mastic qualitatively polishing with a soft cloth.
After treatment mastic coating acquires additional moisture and shine
In normal operation the intensity is sufficient to repeat the treatment every 3-4 months.
Compared with the conventional waterproof laminate floor coverings requires a more responsible approach. But doing all of the recommendations contained in the text and video in this article, you can be guaranteed to protect the material from swelling in the operation in a humid room. If some of the steps will cause you trouble, you can get advice in the comments.