Table MDF: selection of material and tools, drawing figure, blank parts and assembly
Table of contents
1 Tables and countertops made from MDF
- 1.1 What is the MDF
- 1.2 Selection of material and tools
- 1.3 Drafting drawing
- 1.4 The blank parts
- 1.5 Assembly
- 2 conclusion
Currently, tables made of MDF for kitchen, rooms, classrooms, offices, medical and educational institutions in demand, probably more than other materials. Such popularity is not artificial - consumer goods has appreciated for its quality and environmental cleanliness. I propose to understand the reasons in detail and see the video in this article.
White MDF dressing table with Cabinet
Tables and countertops made from MDF
Table transformer MDF "Koralik" (natural veneer)
Let's start with the fact that children - corner - desk - kitchen table are usually made of particleboard (chipboard) or MDF with any facial covering. But over the last material there is a distinct advantage in the environment. Why?
What is the MDF
These panels can be used for table tops and table legs
To begin with let's understand the material itself:
- Medium Density Fibreboard or MDF, is medium density fiberboard, wherein abbreviation Cyrillic MDF is a transliteration;
- sometimes to the transliteration used this mapping to be finely-dispersed fraction, and this is partly true. The fact that small swarf pressed into plates under high pressure and high temperature;
- but as a binder is used, lignin - the substance is, (lignum Latin for wood), found in some cells of algae and vascular plants (the same trees).
On the computer desks made of MDF - white gloss using polymer film
According to the classification of such panels can be divided into two main groups:
- Panel without any relief - have a smooth surface and is used for lining here a polymer film of a particular color, either natural or artificial veneer;
- relief panelWhere cut (burned) a pattern or design, but the surface itself is coated paints. Such material in this case can only be used for table legs.
Sheet MDF panel
Another important point for those who want to make a table with his hands - MDF have different geometrical parameters are:
- Patterned rack panels, which in appearance is not much different from the wooden bunks;
- Patterned tile - in appearance similar to a square tile;
- Leafy - is as large pieces of plywood.
Selection of material and tools
We will need the jigsaw or, in extreme cases, a hacksaw on wood
To make your own coffee table MDF, we, first of all, need themselves MDF panel, the number and size of which will depend on your design. In addition, unless of course you wish, you can buy in the store four wheels, so the table will turn mobile.
Of the tools you will need:
- an electric drill or screwdriver with a set of drills;
- hacksaw or jigsaw for cutting;
- mallet (Mallet);
- building level and metric tape measure.
Schematic representation of table options
Once you buy the necessary materials and gather all the tools, construction begins with the manufacture of tabletops for tables made of MDF. Since this is the biggest item, it is determined by the original production of parts sizes.
Consequently, the remaining bits are used for the remaining parts. Dimensions here can be chosen arbitrarily, but in form it can be round, oval, square or rectangular, but in any case should not leave sharp edges to avoid injuries.
Another coffee table in the drawing with figures in mm
The blank parts
After that cut the legs - they are all the time a bit longer the most countertops, as the latter should hang at least 7-10 cm, in any case, front and rear. The height of the legs is also arbitrary, but considering that the standard is 80 cm from the floor to the top of the table top, while the height of the legs should be about 7850 mm (plus 15 mm cover).
In addition to the legs, you will need a spacer, which fasten the legs to each other. Its width can also be done arbitrarily - depending on the wishes or the presence of residual material.
All parts, that is, cover the legs and the partition you want to cut in advance of the assembly included: table top - 1 piece; feet - 2 pieces; partition - 1 piece. To do this, you can use the drawings provided above, or draw your own.
A few simple drawings
And now comes the most important moment - you need to accurately mark on all the cut parts, where there will be holes for fastening bolt or self-tapping screws. In fact, you can assemble the entire structure with screws, but even in this case, in the cross-field pass screws through the MDF is necessary beforehand to drill a hole.
Edging countertops can make a special furniture edge gluing it any adhesive that is suitable for the tree (its a cheap price). But the heads of screws or screw the furniture should be covered by special plates in upholstery color of your table.
Construction on wheels
Note. If you do construction on wheels, as in the top photo or like that, all sections will be closed furniture edges.
But for the legs resting on the floor, the slice can be repaired by a varnish in several layers.
In conclusion I would say that the furniture edges are best taken on the basis of the adhesive, but for sticking it to use a conventional iron (for heating). If you have interesting drawings of structures and you want to share them - attach them, please, to the comments.