Repair of bathroom: 3 Problems and Solutions
Table of contents
- 1 Possible problems
2 The deficit of places
- 2.1 drastic measures
- 2.2 corner toilet
- 2.3 Shower instead of a bath
- 2.4 Down with washbasin
- 2.5 Mezzanine? Just not in the bathroom!
- 2.6 mirrors
- 2.7 Colors
3 Cure for rabies
- 3.1 Floor
- 3.2 Walls
- 3.3 Ceiling
- 3.4 My experience
- 4 Fight with mold
- 5 conclusion
Greetings, comrades! During his life, happened to me several times to make repairs bathroom - first in several urban apartments, and then in a country house. I want to share my experience of finishing, as well as solutions of some problems that I have ever encountered at different stages of repair.
Our task - to turn the small and unattractive bathroom into a spacious and beautiful.
Here is a list of key issues in the order in which they occur:
- layout. It includes a range of sanitary ware, furniture and their optimal location. The goal - to make a little room (in the Khrushchev, for a moment, an area of only 2.5 square bathroom) and visually more spacious place in it everything you need;
Closely in the bathroom? Consider the choice of plumbing and its location.
- The choice of water-resistant materials. High humidity in the bathroom (more precisely, the humidity fluctuation in a wide range of values) impose a number of restrictions on the selection of finishing, for example, paper wallpaper and wooden paneling is not suitable;
In the picture - not a tree, but only an imitation. Wood panels rapidly jarred in an atmosphere with high humidity.
- Fight with mold. The fungus is put in the bathroom thanks to high humidity.
Mold primarily affects the place of frequent leakage from the neighbors and the joints between tile.
Let's deal with these problems as they arise.
The deficit of places
So, how to make the bathroom a little more spacious?
Tear down the wall between the bathroom and toilet. Combined bathroom area a bit more of the total area of both spaces due to the thickness demolished partitions: the thickness of 15 cm and a length of 2 meters it will allow you to gain 2 = 0.15 * 0.3 square m.
Moreover, the unused area of the toilet and bath combined. On two islets free space area of 0.2 m 2 each is impossible to arrange something useful, and that's 0.4 m 2 combined area already allow you to install in the bathroom an automatic washing machine or bidet.
By combining the bathroom toilet, you can get quite a comfortable bathroom unit size.
As with minimal effort to destroy the barrier?
- Frame stucco wall in stalinki released from the plaster by a conventional hammer, whereupon the frame easily disassembled mount;
The partition in the bathroom house Stalinist buildings - is a frame made of planks, plastered on the shingle.
- concrete slab breaks in the middle of a cold chisel and a heavy hammer. Then plate cleave circular strokes sledgehammer. Fittings cut grinder with cutting wheel for metal.
Demolition of reinforced concrete walls. Concrete chipped sledgehammer blows, only to cut rebar left.
Formally partitioning demolition requires coordination with ZHILISCHNIK. In practice, permits will take you only when a new registration certificate for resale flats.
Intended for mounting in the toilet bowl WC angle save 0.2-0.3 square usable area bathrooms. Due to what?
- When a perpendicular wall installation with each side bowl should remain about 25 cm of free space. It is necessary to ensure that the rider's knees in a posture of the rider is not rested on the walls and furniture;
- When our snow-white one standing in the cornerDiverging walls provide a comfortable fit with no additional effort.
Corner toilet: a few centimeters of space.
To connect a corner toilet repair toilet does not have to include the dismantling and re-wiring sanitation. Production of a CD, you can connect to the old funnel with a plastic sleeve.
Corrugation can deploy the release of the toilet at an arbitrary angle to the socket sewer.
Shower instead of a bath
The minimum size of a cast-iron bath - 1,7h0,75 meters. Accordingly, the occupied area is equal to 1,275 s m2. Corner shower size 80x80 cm takes only 0.8 * 0.8 = 0.64 m2; win there.
Replacing a bath to shower relieve the space toilet.
Shower stall, not only save space, but also significantly reduce water consumption. To take a bath, you need at least 150 liters, and the shower is enough 50-70 liters.
Down with washbasin
You should sink? And what prevents wash over the bathroom? Enough to move the wall of the tub faucet middle and raise it to 10-15 centimeters - and freed dismantled washstand place you can use a washing machine.
Bath and raised above the mixer with long spout allow you to do without a sink.
Mezzanine? Just not in the bathroom!
Mezzanine under a stream allows you to store a lot of seldom-used items - from soap collection released during the Khrushchev thaw, to grandfather mask.
Comrades, the person estimates the size of the premises on the area of two surfaces - floor and ceiling. Mezzanine in the already compact bathroom makes it look like a closet. My advice: take your rubbish in the trash, and all representing the value of the move in one of the cabinets in the rooms.
Mezzanine under the ceiling clutter the room, make it seem even closer.
Large mirror doubles the apparent volume of the room. Visible border the bathroom is lost and it becomes twice as spacious.
Where appropriate the mirror?
- As apron over the bath and wash basin;
The mirror above the sink apron expands the space small bathroom.
- In the role of a mirrored facade built-in wardrobe.
The smaller the small items remain visible, the less cluttered look of your bathroom. It is better to build it in a closet in the wall than to hang a few small cabinets.
Selecting the color of the walls - a problem that has no relation to the layout of bathrooms. However, it is directly linked to the perception of space.
- Bright huesUsed for the walls and ceiling, will make a small room appear larger;
- dark colors will bring the visual surface, create a sense of closeness.
The brightness of the lighting affects the perception of distances as well. Illumination 250-300 lux (lumens per square meter) to visually expand a small bathroom. Illuminating the ceiling with dark walls, you can make the room appear higher actual size.
Bright lighting and the predominance of light colors make a small bathroom appear more spacious.
Cure for rabies
What materials you can make repairs in the bathroom - in the apartment or private home?
Options, in fact, only two.
- Tile - floor with a maximum service life. He does not change due to wear, but only and exclusively by changing the design of the room;
- Linoleum slightly cheaper, but much easier in the packing. He is laid on the floor on any more or less equal basis. The obvious drawback of linoleum - is that it does not protect the neighbors from the bottom of a water leak you.
Linoleum is easy to installation, but do not protect against leaks.
How to lay tiles on the floor?
Pie floor in the bathroom should include three layers:
|Picture||The name and function|
|waterproofing. Rolled material, impregnation or mastic eliminate leakage through the overlap.|
|strainer. It evens out the floor surface and prepares it for the laying of the finishing coat.|
|properly tiles on the tiled glue. Glue is applied to the primed ground penetrating foundation comb trowel. Constant thickness seams provide plastic crosses.|
To align the walls common to use finishing materials based on Portland cement. Unlike plaster putty and plaster, they tolerate dampness.
In wet areas it is common to use cement plaster and putty.
However, the rough plaster wall with cement mortar - a tedious and costly exercise. Is the repair Suppose bathrooms with drywall?
I submit that is acceptable. The three finished with me GCR and gypsum fiber board bathrooms for 4-8 years of operation, I did not observe any traces of disintegration finish. As is usual, there are a couple of subtleties:
- Bathroom should be ventilated. Transients drywall humidity (even an ordinary, not to mention the moisture resistance) brings fine, but the constant dampness does not benefit the hygroscopic materials;
To check the operation of ventilation, bring it match or lighter. If the flame is not deviated, ventkanal needs to be cleaned.
Ventilation en under applicable 41-01-2003 SNP shall be not less than 25 m3 / h. For combined bathroom minimum capacity twice as much - 50 cubic meters per hour.
- Finishing coating in places where water splashes fall, must be waterproof. It may already be familiar tiles, waterproof paint or washable wallpaper.
For bathrooms tight fit vinyl wallpaper. They do not absorb moisture and does not wipe with frequent touches.
Wallpaper in the bathroom is not glued to the ordinary wallpaper paste, and water-resistant PVA. They greased and strip wallpaper and the wall.
Can I use the bathroom wall panels made of PVC, which is often carried out budget renovation of apartments?
Yes, but with a couple of limitations:
- Them can not be fixed over the bath and washbasin. The seams between the panels leaking, and for them will inevitably become wet. As a result, main wall is struck by a fungus;
- They should be used for the walls above 1,51,7 meterWhere there is no opportunity to push the panel knee, hip or shoulder. Under load brittle plastic is easy to crack.
The panels can be safely used for finishing top of the bathroom. At the bottom it is not: they are easy to crack on impact.
How to decorate the ceiling in the bathroom or combination bathroom?
Here are four of the most popular and affordable solutions.
plaster ceiling. If the overlap does not have significant irregularities, to prepare it for painting can be cement or gypsum filler. The base is cleaned preliminarily to concrete, and primed with quartz adhesive primer (betonokontaktom).
Advantages of plaster finish - low prices and constant room height. False ceilings make the bathroom below.
Plaster filler, as drywall in the bathroom need to protect the waterproof coating.
Suspended ceiling. Price inexpensive PVC film together with the installation of only 300-500 rubles per square. When the toilet area 3-4 m2 - dime; wherein the film protects you from leakage from the neighbors.
Glossy film ceiling will make your bathroom visually higher and will not allow you to fill the neighbors.
The ceiling of GCR. Under it is going to frame out of the ceiling directing profile UD and CD ceiling on direct suspensions. Wall connection masked foam or polyurethane molding.
Duplex plasterboard ceiling in the bathroom? Why not?
The ceiling is made of PVC panels. He is easy going with their hands on the frame of the profiles for the drywall. The design of the panels is leaking and will not protect against leaks, but do not suffer from the water: it will be enough to wipe the stains with a cloth on the front surface.
Suspended ceiling made of plastic panels with hidden lights.
When decorating a bathroom in his attic, I used the following solutions and materials:
|Apron over bath - tiled. Tiles glued not to the cement glue and silicone sealant on, spot-on its back surface. The same sealant I used to fill the joints.|
The walls outside the apron - moisture-resistant gypsum board coated with four layers of rubber paint.
The colorant on the acrylic latex and form a wear-resistant waterproof coating, which can be washed using any abrasive cleaners.
|Ceiling - normal (white) plasterboard coated same rubber paint.|
From plumbing installed:
- Toilet with a lower tank;
- Corner acrylic bathtub instantaneous heater on the shower and taps for washing.
The cost of repairing the bathroom turnkey in prices in 2013 amounted to 25,000 rubles.
Fight with mold
This problem is solved combined:
- Bathroom or WC should have an effective ventilation system. If insufficient thrust into air ducts, the problem is eliminated very simple - installing an exhaust fan instead of the lattice;
Extractor hood pictured pumping 100 cubic meters per hour of air that covers standards in four SNP.
Do not connect the fans in parallel light. Light is needed in the bathroom occasionally, and ventilation - constantly. It is better to put in a drawing power circuit dimmer, allowing to achieve quiet operation ventilation.
The dimmer allows you to adjust the hood turns smoothly.
- The temperature must be kept at a level recommended snip +25 ° C. If regular towel does not provide such temperature dryer set larger or embed parallel DHW riser ordinary heating radiator. It is implemented as heating in bathrooms stalinkas of the middle of the last century.
Cast iron radiator instead of the towel dryer is often found in old houses.
I hope that my experience will help you to make long-lasting and affordable bathroom renovation. Learn more about the methods it is possible to finish watching the video in this article. I look forward to your comments. Good luck, comrades!