Today, the finishing of walls and ceilings from plasterboard is becoming increasingly popular. This is due to the fact that the material is inexpensive in price, easy to install and use. Drywall provides many opportunities. With it, you can level the walls and ceilings, create a variety of designs. However, just the walls and ceilings of plasterboard will not look very aesthetic. Therefore, for its decor use wallpaper or paint. Putty plasterboard for wallpaper is not a prerequisite, but highly desirable.
- Can wallpaper glue on plasterboard without plastering
- Do I need to putty plasterboard before mounting your
- How putty drywall under the wallpaper properly
- How to choose the right putty
- putty drywall under the wallpaper with your own hands( Video)
Is it possible to glue wallpaper on plasterboard without puttying
Many are concerned with the question - is it possible to glue the walls without puttying. Theoretically, this option is possible, but professionals advise not to do so.
It is important to take into account that, despite the perfectly smooth surface, which involves unhindered gluing wallpaper on gypsum board, the method of pasting walls and ceilings without puttying can ruin the material once and for all.
Drywall requires special preparation before decorating with wallpaper. This procedure will extend the life of the material, as well as provide a beautiful surface appearance.
Why it is impossible to glue the wallpaper without puttying:
- When gluing wallpaper on gypsum board,, Which leads to the impossibility in the future to replace the wallpaper. We'll either have to tear off the wallpaper from the plasterboard that will spoil it, or paste new wallpaper over the old finish.
- Drywall has a characteristic shade that will glow through the light wallpaper, which will change their natural shade.
- Despite the smooth surface of the drywall, when it is installed joints and seams are formed, which must be puttied, otherwise the appearance of the surface pasted with wallpaper will be better.
Putty - an important stage of finishing works. It gives the surface an ideal shape, provides reliable protection of the material, provides the opportunity to make the next repair without problems and additional costs.
Do I need to coat plasterboard before gluing the wallpaper
When performing repair yourself, many people have a question about the feasibility of putty. After all, the procedure takes time, and the smooth surface of drywall seems ideal for gluing wallpaper directly to it.
Putty plasterboard or not - a private matter for everyone. It is important to familiarize yourself with the repair rules before consulting any repair work, consult with professional builders.
It's the professionals who advise not to glue the wallpaper directly onto the drywall. The only advantage in this situation will be saving time only for a short period. When deciding to paste new wallpaper, you will have to change not only them, but also install new sheets of drywall.
Effect of wallpaper gluing without puttying:
- Unevenness and seams may be visible.
- Light wallpaper can change the shade.
- When removing old wallpaper, sheets of gypsum cardboard will also have to be replaced.
You can paste wallpaper on plasterboard. For example, if this is the last repair. When gluing wallpaper directly on gypsum board, the procedures for preparing walls can still be avoided. Before gluing the canvas, it is necessary to apply several layers of primer, which will protect the surface from the appearance of mold and fungus.
If in the future the wallpaper is supposed to be replaced, it's better to spend a little time and provide a quality surface for finishing works.
How to put plasterboard under wallpaper properly
Puttying is a simple construction process when it comes to plasterboard. Smooth surface is easy to putty. The most important task is puttying joints, removing surface defects.
Before puttying it is important to check the surface of the gypsum board for the presence of screws that can stick out of the wall. To do this, it is necessary to hold the spatula over the entire surface, listening to the metallic sound. If the screws are found, they should be screwed even deeper, while the depth should not reach half the thickness of the sheet.
sheets. The surface preparation process includes shpaklevu, a primer and sealing of seams with a special tape.
- Make a surface primer that protects plasterboard from the occurrence of fungi and mold.
- For a better application of the putty, the surface can be ground to remove unnecessary irregularities and dirt.
- Prepare the necessary working tools. This requires two spatulas: large and small. With a large spatula, puttying is applied to the surface, small putty put on a large, while evenly distributing the material on the entire working surface of the spatula.
- Apply the filler from top to bottom. It is important to follow all the rules and apply the putty in two layers. The first layer will eliminate all defects on the surface, the second - complete the complete finish of the drywall. After applying the initial layer, you need to let it dry. The second layer can only be applied on a dry surface.
- After drying the second layer of putty, grind the surface. For safety reasons, a respirator and safety glasses must be worn. Grinding is performed in circular motions, with minimal pressure on the wall.
- Apply primer. It will protect the surface, as well as improve the adhesion of glue and wallpaper. For reliability, the primer can be made two times.
In order for the wallpaper to lie on the surface easily, the putty should be smooth, without unevenness and troughs. It is important to perform all of its stages correctly, make sure that each layer dries up, only after that apply a new layer of putty and primer.
How to choose the right filler
The quality of the putty depends on the materials they are made of. There are many companies on the market that offer shpaklevku at a variety of prices.
It is important to understand that the minimum price indicates a low quality of materials. Therefore, when choosing a putty it is not worth saving.
Putty can be designed for different types of work, so it is important to choose a specialized putty.
Material selection rules:
- You can not use the putty with the mark "for outdoor work".
- You can not use the putty, the expiration date of which has already ended.
- Do not use too cheap material. Firstly, such material will not ensure the quality of the putty and its reliability. Secondly, the consumption of such materials will be large, which will lead to costs.
- To give preference to finished mixtures. This will not waste time preparing the solution, will provide confidence in its quality.
Correctly selected material for putty, will provide a quality surface that will be a reliable protection for drywall and an ideal surface for gluing wallpaper.
Putty plasterboard for wallpaper by own hands( video)
Drywall is a modern building material that is widely used for repair work. Consumers choose this material because it is inexpensive, high-quality and easy to install. Those who perform repairs themselves, after installing gypsum boards, think about the advisability of putty before applying wallpaper. Professionals definitely advise to putty plasterboard. This will ensure a reliable surface. Drywall will last a long time, and bored wallpaper without additional costs and efforts can be replaced by new ones.