Wall decoration with vinyl wallpaper is quite popular today. This type of wallpaper is made of a denser material that has elasticity and flexibility. To paste wallpaper from vinyl correctly and qualitatively, before starting the repair you need to familiarize yourself with the method and rules of gluing. When gluing it is important to use a suitable type of glue and know the way it is properly prepared. How to glue vinyl wallpaper, you can learn from this article.
- Recommendations for wallpapering
- Preparing walls and wallpaper for gluing
- Adhesive for vinyl wallpaper: how to make a choice correctly
- Can I glue vinyl wallpaper on vinyl wallpaper
- Can vinyl wallpaper be gluedOn old wallpaper
- How to glue wallpaper vinyl correctly
- Vinyl wallpaper gluing: the features of working with vinyl
- Vinyl stickers on wallpaper
- Vinyl wallpaper wallpapering with your own hands( video)
Recommendations for wallpapering
If you are repairing yourself, before you decorate the wallpaper, you should familiarize yourself with the instructions and recommendations for the preparation of walls, wallpaper, preparation of adhesive composition, methods for gluing strips.
For successful work you need to prepare all the necessary tools that will greatly facilitate repairs. Each type of work involves the use of a specific set of tools.
When working with vinyl wallpaper, it is important not to rely on the case, if a question arises, it immediately needs to be resolved. If any action is performed incorrectly, there is a possibility of unstuck wallpaper from the walls the next day.
Recommendations for gluing:
- It is advisable to repair with a person who has experience in gluing vinyl sheets.
- To check if the wall is dry, you need to glue a piece of polyethylene to it, leave it for the night. If the morning on it evaporation - the wall to the plywood is not yet ready.
- Check the strength of the walls. To do this, use a regular adhesive tape, which is glued to the wall and sharply torn off.
- When wallpapering, it is important that the room is not ventilated. Window and door openings must be tightly closed.
- For quality repair it is important to glue the wallpaper to a clean surface, freed from the old wallpaper layer.
Make quality repairs possible, most importantly - to follow the instructions and recommendations of professionals.
Preparation of walls and wallpaper for gluing
Preparing surfaces for gluing is an important stage of finishing work. From the quality of its performance depends on the strength of fastening the wallpaper and the period of their service.
Stepwise wall preparation:
- Remove the old finish.
- Dilute the dry mixture to glue the wallpaper.
- Do primer walls with glue or a special primer.
- Treat the wall with a compound that will protect it from the formation of mold and fungi.
- No need to navigate the corner, if it is uneven. Before gluing it is necessary to draw a straight vertical line with a plumb line.
Following safety precautions, remove switches and sockets from the walls. After the surface is ready for gluing, you can go to the preparation of wallpaper.
- Cut the wallpaper stripes, leave an allowance length of 10 cm
- Fold the cut pieces of wallpaper in the stacks face down. In each stack there should be no more than ten bands. The shift of each strip should be up to 15 cm.
The stack of wallpaper can be folded directly to the floor, making sure that the floor is clean and dry. When the piles are ready, everything is carefully measured, you can start preparing and applying glue.
Adhesive for vinyl wallpaper: how to make the right choice
The choice of adhesive for vinyl wallpaper is an important stage in the finishing works. The strength of vinyl fastening to walls largely depends on the quality.
Vinyl wallpapers have high strength and great weight. Simple glue can not withstand their load. For sale are various types of glue, designed specifically for the gluing of canvases from vinyl.
The adhesive must be selected with particular scrupulousness. For each type of vinyl there is a special composition.
Features of the choice of glue:
- No need to choose the glue for the speed of its drying.
- It is important to choose a glue with a high level of slip, more so with paper-based paper.
- For the non-woven base, there must be a suitable glue type.
Before gluing the wallpaper, the dry glue should be diluted with warm water following the manufacturer's instructions. The mass should be mixed thoroughly, let it brew.
Can I glue vinyl wallpaper on vinyl wallpaper
There are situations when the issue of repair requires immediate permission. Then a question arises that worries many - is it really possible to glue wallpaper on a wallpaper.
The thing is the material from which the wallpaper is made. They consist of a polyvinyl chloride layer, which is applied to non-woven fabric or paper.
Why it is impossible to paste vinyl on vinyl:
- Vinyl wallpaper repels glue. These wallpapers are famous for their resistance to moisture. Therefore, it does not matter which type of glue will be used for gluing. Glue simply can not stand heavy wallpaper, pasted on the same basis.
- There is a possibility that not one layer of wallpaper falls off, but two at once. Cloths simply can not withstand excessive weight.
- Even if the wallpaper is stuck for a while, their look will not be aesthetic. Old canvases will shine through, spoil all kind of new wallpaper.
If the time for finishing the walls is sorely lacking, there are several ways to quickly resolve the issue. Vinyl can be simply painted using a special paint. And you can remove the top layer of the canvas.
Can vinyl wallpaper be glued to old wallpaper
When it comes to quick repairs, many are thinking about skipping the preparatory stage of the work.
Professionals advise in no case to save time and effort in preparing the wall for the wallpapering of wallpaper.
When vinyl can be glued to old wallpaper:
- If the old coating is completely paper.
- It is important that the wallpaper is firmly glued to the wall.
- Old wallpaper should be smooth, without any reliefs or drawings, preferably light shades.
When gluing new wallpapers to the old ones, it is important to take into account that the appearance of the new coating will not be ideal. Also, the quality of the wallpaper mounting deteriorates, which affects their service life.
How to glue wallpaper vinyl correctly
Stick vinyl wallpaper is not difficult when working in pairs. A little harder if you work alone.
Only after that you can go to the main stage of the work. All stages of gluing must be done carefully, so that you do not have to waste time correcting errors.
- Spread a piece of wallpaper on the floor. If the base is paper, it is smeared with glue from the back side. If non-woven - glue is applied to the wall.
- Stick wall wallpaper with a rag or roller. Movements should be neat and smooth.
- When bubbles appear, it is important to get rid of them immediately.
When working with outlets and switches, it's important to be careful. It is best to make gaugings and cuts before wall wallpapering, adhering to security measures.
Vinyl wallpaper gluing: features of working with vinyl
Pasting of walls with nonwoven fabric has nuances. This is explained by the density of the material from which they are made. This thickness during the gluing can bring a lot of trouble. Therefore, you need to know some features of vinyl, which will help to avoid difficulties.
Due to its density, the wallpaper has a high coefficient of linear stretching. This means that when gluing the wallpaper can cause discomfort by stretching and squeezing.
Features of vinyl wallpapers:
- Vinyl can be glued to concrete walls.
- For quality gluing the surface must be dry, smooth and clean.
- Wallpapers do not like the sharp temperature difference and humidity in the room.
When preparing the surface, it is necessary to prime the wall, otherwise the stains and color changes may appear on the new wallpaper. Especially it threatens the wallpaper with light colors.
Vinyl stickers for wallpaper
Vinyl stickers for wallpaper are used as an option for decorating walls. Recently, they have gained wide popularity.
Prices and quality vary depending on the manufacturer that produces vinyl stickers.
Features of gluing:
- Surface must be flat, dry and clean.
- The wall needs to be prepared, make marks on the place of fixing the stickers.
- The sticker needs to be fastened from the center to the edge, from the bottom to the top, slowly stretching and smoothing the film.
Vinyl stickers look beautiful on painted walls, as well as if they are pasted on paper, vinyl or glass wall paper. They can be pasted again if you carefully remove from the previous surface.
Vinyl wallpaper wallpapering with your own hands( video)
Vinyl taping is a good option for decorating walls. For their high-quality gluing, which will have a beautiful appearance and a long service life, it is necessary to know the peculiarities of the composition. It is important to pay attention to the preparatory work. They must be performed qualitatively. You need to seriously consider choosing a glue base for vinyl, its quality will depend on the long-term adhesion of wallpaper to the wall. When choosing wallpaper, you need to familiarize yourself with the variety of vinyl types and the spectra of its application.