Sewing curtains or curtains with his hands quite workable process that is quite capable of any hostess, having even a small sewing skills. You just need to clearly represent the design of the future product and find suitable patterns. Self-decoration of the window opening is a responsible task, therefore it is necessary to approach seriously the selection of the material, fixtures and shapes of curtains.
- We select the fabric for curtains and sew themselves
- Self-sew curtains: the necessary measurements and tools
- How to sew curtains with his hands
- Decorate and sew curtains with his hands
- Simulate the curtains with his hands( video)
- Examples: sew curtains for the kitchen with his hands( photo in the interior)
We select the fabric for curtains and sew themselves
Sewing any window curtain fabric begins with the selection. Do not belittle the importance of this step, because wrongly selected material can reduce to "no" even the most successful pattern.
When choosing textiles, consider the following factors:
- Functionality of the room;
- Degree of illumination of the room;
- Size of space;
- Color decoration of the interior.
It is better to choose a dense material in a bedroom or a nursery, which will protect the room from bright sunlight. Especially this ability will be relevant in the morning, saving the sleeping person from the morning rays.
In the room, which is located on the sunny side and most of the day highlights, better to hang curtains light material as dark fabrics are fade property that will look ugly.
in the kitchen or the hall perfectly fit loose curtains, but not lace. Color is best selected based on the overall design of the room. If it is combined with the coloring of the carpet or sofa - this will add extra charm to the room.
By the way, if the design of the window is planned as a separate decor, then with warm shades of the floor and walls, the opening should be made in a cool color scheme.
If you decide to take a natural fabric, it should be remembered that it is strongly settles after washing, so the measurements it is necessary to add about 50-60 cm.
most durable fabrics for sewing curtains considered polyester with cotton and viscose. For curtains, you can take satin, coarse calico, jacquard. For curtains - organza, veil, chiffon.
When choosing a color scheme, remember that dark shades narrow the space, and light colors expand on the contrary.
The picture horizontally makes the room wider, and vertically - the ceiling will "blow up".
We independently sew the curtains: the necessary measurements and tools
Before you start to tailor the curtains, you need to understand their main types.
The most popular and common types are:
- Roman curtains;
- English drapes;
- Conventional curtains on ribbons;
If the curtain is sewn for the first time, it is advisable to find suitable patterns for these purposes beforehand, as well as instructions to them, which will greatly simplify the task.
Next, you need to measure the length of the cornice and determine what will be the curtain itself. It can only reach the window sill, be slightly below or above its line, do not get to the floor or even lie on it.
When calculating additional fabric costs, it is necessary to add 25 cm to the main measurements for processing the lower and upper edges of the product, and also to decide whether it will be a smooth cloth orDrapery.
The drape coefficient is usually equal to two and is as follows: the length of the cornice is multiplied by two, then is added another 10 cm for the allowances to the edges. For light fabrics( organza, chiffon, silk), this coefficient is three.
It's always better to take the cloth a little more than you need, than to lack a material. Surplus can always be put on decor, picks or lambrequins.
How to sew curtains with your own hands
To sew curtains yourself, you need to stock up not only with cloth, but with the necessary tools.
So, what is needed to sew the blind:
- Cutting sections for curtains and matching threads;
- Sewing machine;
- Curtain tape;
- Pencil and ruler for marking;
- Scissors and pins.
Once everything is in place, you can learn the master class for sewing curtains and get to work.
Detailed process description:
- Preparing the fabric to prevent shrinkage - is to soak the cloth, and then ironing it through the cheesecloth until it dries completely. If the fabric is synthetic, it must be ironed from the wrong side.
- Cutting the fabric - the product folds in two "face" inside and splits the pins. Then it is cut into two parts according to the measurements, after which the cutting takes place, during which it is necessary to take into account the previously stored reserves for allowances.
- Processing of side edges - the width can be chosen to your taste, but usually it is 1.5 - 3 cm. The edges are bent on the wrong side and ironed. Then they bend once more to the same size and are pinned. Then the sides can be stitched.
- Lower part processing - the bottom of the product is bent by 5 cm, ironed, then bent back to 5 cm. Then it is pinned and spread.
- Machining of the upper part - the upper edge is bent approximately one and a half centimeters, ironed and spread. Then, the edge of the curtain tape is bent, also half a centimeter, and is swept to the front of the curtain. Next, you need to combine the upper part of the curtain and the ribbon, after which the tape is attached to the cloth by pins in staggered order. When the entire ribbon is attached, it must be trimmed with allowance for the allowance. It needs to be bent and attached to the side curtains.
- The tape is stretched along the inner edge to the curtain, retreating 1 mm from the edge. Then the pins are taken out, and the ribbon is bent to the underside of the canvas, again fastened with pins and wasted.
- The pins are removed, and the strings of the tape are tied with a knot from all the barrels. If you pull for these threads, you will get drapery.
This is how you can sew a curtain using this step-by-step guide. At the end of the work, the product should be ironed again, especially highlighting shovchiki and edges.
We decorate and sew curtains with our own hands
If after sewing there are still cuts and scraps of fabric - they can be put on the curtains decor. Decorated models look very interesting and elegant.
You can decorate the finished product with lambrequins and pick-ups. As for the first, for their tailoring are selected light materials, for example, gauze. It will be difficult to sew such an element yourself. But now on sale there was a special adhesive material - a thermo-bando that will help create a beautiful and elegant lambrequin.
What you need to do:
- Attach the selected pattern to the bando and cut it clearly along the contour;
- Exactly the same part is cut from the fabric, but already taking into account the allowances;
- Use an iron to glue the fabric to the thermo bando;
- Attach the curtain tape.
Thus, you can sew a simple, but fashionable lambrequin, which will decorate the window leaf.
Any curtain will look fashionable and interesting, if you decorate it with pick-up. It can be a bright ribbon on velcro or ribbons, which you can tie in bows and knots. These garters, if desired, can be embroidered with sequins, paillettes, beads and anything you want. ..
Modeling the curtains with your own hands( video)
Curtains with their own hands - it's quite simple, and even interesting. Own-created models differ from others in a unique design and are filled with the warmth of the soul of the person who sewed them. Selecting a variety of fabrics and colors, you can not be afraid to conduct experiments and thereby create original, fashionable things that will please the eyes of the household and guests of your house.