One of the easiest and warm building material is polystyrene( Styrofoam).The scope of the foam is unlimited in use. It is used for warming residential, office and technical premises. The field of application of expanded polystyrene is not limited in use. Expanded polystyrene is used, both for internal and external finishing works. It is one of the most common types of insulation used in decoration and cladding. The main advantage of polystyrene foam is that it is easily processed and fastened. In the field of use, the foam does not need additional waterproofing and vapor barrier barriers. Affordable and simple installation carries the most important feature of the application not only for specialists, but also for ordinary inhabitants.
- foam on the ceiling: 5 properties
- Material How to paste over the ceiling foam with his hands
- Varieties foam panels for the ceiling
- few tips for finishing the ceiling foam
- Create a ceiling of plastic foam with your hands( video)
- Design ceilings foam( photo interior)
foam on the ceiling 5 of material properties
foam - a foam material with a tight structure white in color, withstands mainly on 98% air. The remaining 2% is polystyrene.
- thermal conductivity - one of the undeniable and unique properties of the foam due to the fact that it consists ofMultifaceted cells, tightly closed with each other. This reduces the heat exchange, which serves as an obstacle to cold air.
- Soundproofing and windproof - surface insulation foam, does not need additional, wind-proof material, and the dense cell structure causes a good sound insulation.
- Water resistance - polystyrene foam has a very low hygroscopicity and absorbs the minimum amount of moisture.
- Durability and strength - foam plates do not lose their properties for a long period of time. Do not undergo deformation and failure, and strength depends on the density and thickness of the plate.
- Chemical and biological stability - shows resistance to building mixtures, varnishes and paints. Poor response to the effects of vegetable and animal oils.
Polyfoam is flammable, but only with direct contact with fire. Independently, the styrofoam burning process does not support and fades in a few seconds. These data characterize the foam, as fireproof.
How to glue the ceiling with polystyrene by one's own hands
One of the most popular types of ceiling finishing is the decoration with foam plastic tiles. This method is very popular and available, as well as does not require large financial costs. It is cheap enough and making it with your own hands is not particularly difficult.
Stages gluing foam plates:
- Calculation of tiles on the ceiling. You need to calculate the ceiling area in square meters and purchase the appropriate number of tiles.
- Selection of glue. Attach the tile to the ceiling using liquid nails, but if the surface is not even, you can apply the final filler with the addition of PVA glue.
- Surface treatment and preparation. Clean the surface and apply an antiseptic primer that will improve the bonding of the material.
- Tool selection. Stationery knife and paint string. Scissors, several spatulas and a brush. Rags or any suitable rags.
- Marking. The markings are made using a filament or cord to determine the central point of the diagonals. A variety of gluing is used, as evenly-rowed, and chaotic.
- Application of glue to the tile. The adhesive is applied directly to the tile, but it can also be applied to the ceiling surface without limiting the visibility of the marking. The gluing of the structure starts from the center of the ceiling and with a de-energized surface.
- Treatment of joints between tiles. After gluing the material, the seams should be sealed with the finishing putty and when completely dry, paint the surface.
The shape of the tile has a different configuration and face. Its decorative texture can be smooth, glossy or embossed, and the color imitates decorative stone, stucco molding, wood carvings and fabric.
Types of foam panels for ceiling
Foam ceiling boards are usually in standard shape and look in the form of squares, the size of which is 50 x 50 and 30 x 30 cm. There are also rectangular panels on sale, but very rarely.
The production process of these panels distinguishes 3 varieties:
- Pressed panels are created using stamps, Which form a relief, textured impression, and also preserve the graininess of the material. Such products have a white shade and a thickness of 8 mm.
- extruded panels are produced by a vacuum-thermal method. They have a glossy surface with a volumetric decor, and relief patterns. Care of this ceiling is quite simple. Re-painting of such panels does not apply.
- injection panels are treated with steam and have a thickness of 9 to 14 mm. One of the main advantages is water resistance. It is intended for use in wet rooms.
Polystyrene panels have some disadvantage - this is an inappropriate use for expensive interiors.
The main negative feature of expanded polystyrene is hydra tightness. In the room the foam creates a thermos effect and does not allow the walls to absorb excess moisture. This can serve as the appearance of a fungus in the room.
Some tips for ceiling finishing with foam
With the right approach to ceiling repair, you can get an excellent result. Pokleit ceiling foam can anyone, if they know certain subtleties. Figured and decorative patterns on the tile, in part, will give a visual alignment of the ceiling and create a certain design in the room.
Advice from professionals:
- It is recommended to leave the material in the room where it will be used before installation;
- You can combine colors and produce panels by diamond;
- The patterning process should not be interrupted in the middle of the row;
- It is recommended to clean the gaps after the glue has dried completely;
- If the adhesive contacts the front surface, remove it immediately;
- The tiles are pressed to the ceiling not with their hands, but with a long rule or a bar;
- Chandeliers, LED strips, sockets and other electrical equipment is installed at a distance of at least 10 cm from the cover;
- Fix the foam plastic moldings( corners) at the end of gluing the panels;
We create a foam ceiling with our own hands( video)
With the help of foam it is possible to create a lot of drawings and patterns on the ceiling. Apply clouds, squares, starry sky and other decorative elements. Due to the foam, which has a different thickness, you can mount a two-level ceiling, using special fasteners and a suitable tool. A certain kind of painting will make it possible to wash the surface or repaint it several times.