Where the water in the
pipe normally freezes In our climatic conditions, the freezing of water residues in the country water pipes or the formation of ice caps in the operated private house pipeline systems can be considered the norm. Counting autonomous networks, ensure their reliable thermal insulation and competent installation of handicraft designers and builders have not yet learned, so it is sometimes necessary to solve the problems that arise on their own.
We have already separately considered the thawing of sewerage, therefore in this article we will dwell in detail on the water supply networks of a private house. The potential sections of the water supply pipelines that will have to be thawed in severe winter frosts can be determined even according to the design scheme.
- Outputs to the surface with underground communication wiring. The drop in the hydraulic pressure of pressure systems in such places is inevitable, and the freezing of the water carrier, the formation of a plug and the need for defrosting are consequences of the poor performance of pumping equipment.
- Extensive sections of the pipeline that are in the freezing zone of underlying substrates or just close to the surface. The case is the most unpleasant, since it is quite difficult to determine the exact location of the freezing of the water conduit, and digging and checking by ear and warming the entire stretch in winter cold is not a pleasant experience.
- Taps, tees, crossings ( fittings) of the water supply system, i.e.potential nodes for the formation of hydraulic turbulence and stagnant zones: the problematic design of any pipeline spread, sometimes not taken into account in the design in case of leaks and freezing. To reheat shaped parts without disrupting the integrity is quite difficult.
- Stop valves .Thermal insulation and preseason blowdown of this equipment is simply mandatory, otherwise freeze damage can become irreversible, and it will be useless to heat and defrost the shut-off node of the network. Simply put, there will be nothing to save.
Than we will warm up the frozen pipe
At once we will make a reservation that there are universal methods, suitable for defrosting pipes practically from any material( metal, polypropylene, polyethylene, etc.) and specific, which should be used with great care. It makes sense to consider two options for heating a frozen water pipe on a simple basis: location.
- The ice stopper is located in an open, accessible pipeline section and is easily identified by location.
- The frozen section of the pipe, which needs to be heated, is located underground, it is difficult to position it unequivocally, and the search involves a large volume of excavation in winter conditions.
For the first case, the recommendations are fairly monotonous, understandable and simple, as they have been used many times:
- Construction( if any) or ordinary household hair dryer included in the maximum heat flux makes it possible to quickly and safely warm the frozen segment out of any material. A similar procedure will withstand even plastic tubes.
- For horizontal segments, the method of shock shock with boiling water is quite suitable. We freeze the frozen pipe with rags and poured hot water. On metal structures, this method works after 15-20 minutes.
- Gas burner. It is clear that such equipment can be used exclusively for defrosting open metal pipes without thermal insulation and synthetic coatings. The method is not the most humane, but effective. True, we do not recommend working with open fire near wooden house structures.
The closed version of the restoration of frozen communications, we examined in detail in the article how to unfreeze the sewage system in a private house, so we will not stop it.
It is better not to defrost, but warm
The historical slogan, and it is necessary to remember about it at the stage of designing, calculating and laying any autonomous pipeline system of a country dwelling. The cost of thermal protection is more than compensated for a long period of trouble-free and comfortable operation at any time of the year. What do I need to do?
- Buy and lay thermal insulation material at the stage of laying the buried sections of the water supply network. The offer of roll and mat products of such a plan on the market is even redundant, you can find your own option of insulation for pipes without much difficulty.
- Install a heating cable in your pipeline, the device is quite expensive and energy-intensive, but allows you to not think about the ability of the pipeline communications of your house for a long time.
For gardeners and gardeners the problem is solved even easier: in the fall in time to untwist fittings on PE80, turn off the water pipes and remove them until next spring. There's nothing to freeze and nothing to defrost.