Often the bathroom is the only cold room in the apartment. The reasons for the uncomfortable microclimate can be very different. It can be a bathroom wall, facing the street or in a technical room, a heated towel warmer, a problem with ventilation ducts, etc.
- Selecting a material for insulating the bathroom from the inside
- Materials and tools for internal insulation of the bathroom
- Preparing the room for the installation of the insulation
- Installing the foam insulation inside the bathroom
- The final stage of insulating the bathroom from inside
There is not always a real possibility to produce external insulation. For example, behind a wall there is a deformation seam, an elevator shaft, an entrance or other unheated room in which it is impossible to mount the insulation. Make the internal insulation of the walls with your hands in the bathroom is not difficult.
Selecting a material for insulating the bathroom from inside
The heating material for the bathroom should have low thermal conductivity, do not absorb moisture, be durable and durable. Mineral wool, due to its peculiarity of absorbing moisture, is not suitable for insulating the bathroom.
- Easier and cheaper to produce insulation of internal walls with foam and their own hands. Polyfoam is an inexpensive and practical material. Low price, ease of processing and low thermal conductivity favorably distinguish it among similar types of insulation material. Polyfoam has an extremely low coefficient of vapor permeability. He does not miss steam, but also does not absorb it and is suitable for the warming of any kind of walls. Choosing the material for insulation of walls inside the bathroom, please note that its price depends on the density and thickness of the insulation.
- You can make insulation of internal walls and expanded polystyrene. Extruded polystyrene foam has similar properties to foam. The high density of expanded polystyrene allows, at a lower thickness, to retain high thermal insulation properties. This is of great importance when insulating a small bathroom. In addition, it is stronger, and the methods of its installation do not differ from the insulation with foam.
The process of insulation of internal walls with polystyrene own hands is on the video at the end of the article.
Materials and tools for internal insulation of the bathroom
Measure the area of each wall separately. On a sheet of paper, draw a diagram of the bathroom in its unfolded form. According to the scheme, the required number of insulation sheets is calculated. Polyfoam and expanded polystyrene are produced in sheets of 1x1 and 1x0.5 m. In the drawing, consider the order in which the insulation is laid with the minimum number of joints and wastes.
- In the event that the interior finish is planned from plasterboard, it is necessary to take into account tolerances on the crate from the galvanized profile, which is attached to the walls of the bathroom before the installation of the heater. In this case, it is economical to take the step of the profile strips 1x0.5 meters, and the insulation to acquire the appropriate size and thickness.
- For the arrangement of the battens, purchase a rack profile( PS) or( CW) and a guiding profile( PN) or( UW).The standard depth of the profile is 40 mm, and the width for the bathroom is 50 mm.
You will need a glue for the foam, the glue consumption according to the area indicated on the package. Plastic dowels, reinforcing plastic mesh, primer and putty.
- Turbo grinder and drill with mixer.
- Hammer, chisel, tape measure and mounting knife.
- Spatula 50 and 200 mm and one notched for glue.
Preparing the room for the installation of the insulation
Before starting work, it is necessary to dismantle all removable items in the bathroom. Bathroom, shower, sink, cupboards, etc. For pipes of internal distribution of water supply and sewerage, it is best to build a box made of plasterboard or moisture-resistant OSB.
- Walls are cleaned from paint, whitewash or ceramic tiles and leveled. Paint and whitewash are removed with a spatula and a brush with a metal bristle, and then the walls are washed with soap and water. The tile is knocked off by a chisel and a hammer. Remains of glue are trimmed with a turbo-grinding machine. Pits and hollows are covered with glue for insulation or cement mortar. The surface of the walls must be smooth and hygroscopic.
- For the installation of foam plastic with subsequent finishing with gypsum board, the crate is made of galvanized profile. To prevent the formation of cold bridges, empty profile openings should be filled with polystyrene strips. The profile is attached to the wall by dowels in such a way that vertical cells of 1x0.5 meter are formed.
Surfaces inside the cells are treated with a deeply penetrating primer and antiseptic preparations.
Foam insulation installation inside the bathtub
- Take the bucket and fill it with a dry glue mixture for foam before its half. Add a little water, stir the mixture with a spatula, and then drill with a mixer. Alternately adding water or dry glue to achieve the consistency of thick cream. Glutinous mixture should not slide off with a spatula or foam.
- For a foam sheet with a size of 1x0.5 meters, 16 - 18 brush strokes are applied. Smears are evenly distributed along the plane of the foam sheet and trimmed with a notched trowel.
- Foam sheet is installed in the cell, tightly pressed against the wall and podbivaetsya palm all over the plane. In the middle of the sheet, plastic dowels are installed in the upper and lower quarter to fix the foam. Through the foam plastic holes are drilled along the diameter of the dowel.
- The tip of the dowel is split with a mounting knife at the factory mark and inserted into the hole until it stops. The fixing plastic nail is inserted into the hole of the dowel and clogged with a hammer. Nothing terrible will happen, if during the installation the dowel cap will go deeper into the foam plastic for 3 - 4 mm. This place is simply glazed with glue for a heater.
- After installing the whole sheets, measure and open the remaining unfilled space. Roulette measures all four sides. With the help of a ruler or an even strip, the dimensions are transferred to a foam sheet. The workpieces are cut out with an assembly knife and installed into their cells in the manner described above.
The final stage of insulating the bathroom from inside
When finishing the insulated walls with plasterboard, the sheets are screwed with screws to the crate, treated with deep penetrating primers and shpaklyuyutsya. Gypsum cardboard can be pasted with ceramic tiles or painted with water-based paint.
Insulated walls of the bathroom without the installation of the frame under the plasterboard plastered and shpaklyuyutsya. During the plastering reinforcing mesh is used to impart strength, and after puttying the walls are treated with a soil mixture for waterproofing and antiseptic.