An important element in the design of a living room is the window decor. It is almost impossible to execute it without a cornice. The choice and installation of cornices should be approached with all responsibility, since only one to two centimeters of unsuccessfully located curtains or curtains can spoil the overall appearance.
Before installing the cornice, we will review the views to determine the choice.
Types of eaves:
- on the string;
Each type of fastening element is divided into ceiling and wall.
The choice of fasteners
Let us first consider the device and the principle of fixing the cornice on the ceiling. It consists of two elements: rails and profile. The movement of the curtain cloth is carried out on ho
Profile design can be different: string, rod or rail. In the string ceiling for the ceiling, the main hanging element is a string. Rod products consist of a rod-rod mounted on brackets. The rail cornices are more practical and convenient - the fastening element moves along with the canvas along the rails.
When it is difficult to determine the type of cornice, it is worth paying attention to the popular wall cornice. It can be presented as a pipe or bar. Materials of wall cornices: wood, metal, plastic. Depending on the type of curtain fabric, you can choose the material and color of the bar. This is the main advantage of the wall cornices. For example, if you prefer light materials, then you can install a plastic bar, and when you need to hang heavy long curtains, it is better to choose a strong metal cornice. In addition, you will always have the opportunity to choose the shade of the cornice, in harmony with the canvas and the general interior of the room.
Installation of curtain rod for curtains
With self-erection of the ledge, this often raises the question of how to strengthen the fastening reliability. It is clear that if the design of the eaves is complex, then the weight of it will be greater. The surface on which the cornice will be installed must be strong. If this rule is not observed, then the probability of collapse significantly increases.
There are two answers to the question: choose a lightweight structure or strengthen the surface in the place of attachment. Experienced masters advised to prepare a hole for fastening and fill it with resin, then insert the fasteners and install the cornice. When you need to install the cornice on a brick wall, dowels are replaced with wooden plugs. Now its reliability can not be doubted.
Materials and tools for work:
- screwdriver( screwdriver);
- measuring tape;
First you need to determine the location of the eaves, so that when you open the window, it does not interfere. In addition, when installing the cornice with your own hands, you need to adhere to this rule: that the fabric does not touch the windowsill, the projecting part of the cornice should be larger. In addition, it is necessary to take into account the width of the heating devices, if they are located under the window.
Perform markup using roulette and level, consider the same distance along the edges of the window.
For the installation of wooden and plastic cornices the fastening is performed on several screws, and if it is necessary to install a metal curtain rod, 3 to 5 fasteners are used.
How to install a wall curtain:
- Drill drill holes for dowels and fasten them.
- Use the screws to attach the brackets.
- Before installing the eaves completely, double-check the distance and secure the bracket securely.
- On the rod, put on the rings and fix it on each side of the bracket. Here you have the right to choose: you can fix the bar so that on each side of the bracket there is one ring, or do not leave the ring in front of the tip.
- At the edges of the bar, install the phlerons. They will not allow the outer ring to slip off the curtains.
Installation of a flexible cornice
For the fastening of curtains the basis in the cornice is a steel string. This type of baguette is not suitable for hanging heavy curtains, because it will not be possible to tighten the rope, still the heavy cloth will sag.
Stringed baguettes are often fixed on the ceiling. They can be with one or more strings. Together with the string cornice, the kit includes fasteners: clamps, strings and dowels.
How to install a flexible cornice:
- A hole or wall is prepared in the wall or ceiling.
- Dowels are inserted into the holes, and the cornice fastening is screwed.
- Attach the string to the attachments and tighten it.
- The finished construction is closed with a decorative box.
Aluminum cornices are often fastened to the ceiling to visually expand the space. With the help of cornices, you can not only drape the window, but also zoning the room.
Aluminum cornices are suitable for rope curtains, when it is necessary to emphasize the curtain fabric.
The installation of aluminum cornices is carried out in the same way as the installation of a flexible cornice.
Ceiling board is mounted to the ceiling and suitable for small rooms. In addition, if the walls have plasterboard structures, this option will be the most acceptable.
Unlike wooden wall constructions, ceiling cornices are distinguished by durability and reasonable price, they are not afraid of changes in temperature and moisture, they are easy to care for.
At present, ceiling cornices are made of plastic or aluminum.
When installing a wall cornice, you need to calculate its length. By the rules to the length of the window is added 40 centimeters. This will open the entire window. If the curtains are used rather dense, which are difficult to fold, then to this length you can add on each side to 20 centimeters.
To make the window easy to open and the curtains do not fit tightly to the wall, the distance from the wall when mounting the eave should be at least 10 centimeters.
How to install a ceiling cornice:
- Prepare the base - the ceiling must be level, without protruding parts. If a wide plinth is adjacent to the ceiling, then it can be removed at the fixing point of the cornice.
- Make the ceiling markings with the same indents on each side.
- Decorative overlay must be worn immediately.
- Drill holes with a drill and install the cornice on the ceiling. Secure it with dowels. The step between the fastening element should be 50-60 centimeters.
- When installing a plastic cornice made of soft material, it is better to strengthen the fastening element with metal plates. They are installed from the inside of the cornice for attaching dowels.
- Insert the hooks and secure the plugs.
- The cornice is fixed to the plasterboard with special dowels. They differ in that, when fastened, they are opened in the plasterboard from the inside and provide a good connection. When installing the ceiling cornice, it is necessary to take into account the load on the dowels - no more than 5 kilograms for the ceiling and 8 for the wall.
Installation of a cornice on a tension ceiling
When the stretch ceiling is already installed, and the cornice is not - this presents a certain problem. Stretch cloth made of PVC film is not intended for fixing a dimensional object - the eaves, especially since curtains will be hung on it. Then the cornice is installed not on PVC film, but in mortgages that are mounted in advance.
- The baguette is fixed on supporting wooden blocks.
- The cornice is mounted on the ceiling, and the canvas itself is in front of the eaves.
The first method is used frequently, the second method is less frequent, because of the complexity of the work.
How to install the open-top cornice:
- Install the cornice easier before installing the ceiling. Therefore, the fixing location of the cornice is first determined.
- In this place on the ceiling and around the perimeter of the room marking is done.
- The responsible part of the work is to fasten the beam along the marking line. The wood is pre-treated with a primer mix to prevent the rotting process.
- The wooden beam is fastened to the dowels in pre-prepared holes.
- After fixing the wooden block, you can start installing the tensioning cloth. Fastening is performed to wooden blocks through a PVC film.
- In the place where the fastener passes through the film, the rings are installed, the holes not being cut in the film, but being strewed.
- If everything is done according to the rules, then the bar will not be visible.
Installation of the cornice in the niche:
- This method of fixing is complex, but in the end the cornice will be hidden, and the curtains will fall straight from under the ceiling.
- Even before measuring the stretch ceiling, you need to purchase the cornice, as its length and width will determine the depth of the niche.
- The cornice is attached to the ceiling by dowels.
- The wooden bar will be located next to the ceiling cornice. It must be pretreated with an antiseptic primer to prevent reproduction of mold.
- On the wooden beam will fix the fixing profile of the stretch ceiling from the eaves, so that the PVC film covers the wooden bar.
How to install the cornice, see the video instruction: