Circular saw is a convenient and productive tool for construction work, with high productivity and maneuverability. But when cutting large lots of sawn timber, it is rather difficult to work with a powerful circular saw. The table for a circular saw, made by own hands, can significantly alleviate this task.
A simple table can be made from plywood and boards. The manual circular saw is then installed from the lower part of the tabletop, and its toothed disk is located in the slot of the table top. After the blade is turned on, the disc starts to rotate, and sawing occurs when the sawn timber is fed. The maximum thickness of the timber being processed depends on the size of the saw blade and the saw's power. When choosing a tool, it is necessary to take into account the thickness of the countertop, to which the saw is fixed from below.
How to choose a circular saw?
If you do not already have this tool, and you plan to purchase it, the following characteristics should be taken into account when selecting:
- Power unit. There is enough power for a household tool 800 W, but if you are thinking about making a table for a circular saw, then the amount of work with the lumber will be significant. You better stop the choice on a model with a power of 1200 or more watts.
- Depth of cut. This parameter determines the maximum thickness of the material being processed. Manual saws of professional or semi-professional class usually have a depth of cut from 40 to 70 mm, which is quite enough for processing boards and plywood. Note that the standard depth when setting the saw in the table will decrease by approximately 10 mm.
- Rotational speed. The higher the speed, the cleaner the cut - this rule applies to the cutting of hard materials. However, for plastic too high speed is not suitable - due to the heating of the disc it will begin to melt. Therefore, choose a model with a speed of 3000-4000 rpm or with a smooth speed control.
- Location of controls. When installing the saw from the underside of the countertop, access to the on / off button must be safe. Otherwise, you will need to provide an external control scheme.
When making a circular saw table yourself, you will need the skills of working with wood and the following tool:
- Manual circular saw;
- Sheet of plywood with a thickness of at least 20 mm;
- Board 50x100 mm;
- Bar 50x50 mm for the legs;
- Drill, screwdriver, electric jigsaw, manual cutter;
- Wood glue, self-tapping screws;
- Wood varnish;
- Ruler and pencil.
The table dimensions largely depend on the length of the processed materials - the cut is obtained much more accurately and more evenly, when the entire workpiece rests on the plane of the table. However, an unnecessarily large table size clutters the workspace, so you need to find a golden mean. The height of the table is best chosen individually, depending on the height.
Circular saw table making technology
- 20 mm plywood is used to prepare the table top for the selected dimensions. Mark the plywood sheet with a pencil and a joinery ruler, saw with a jigsaw and cut the edges. The resulting blank is sanded. The marking for the circular saw is executed from the underside of the table top. To do this, turn the workpiece countertop, set the saw without the disk to the intended place and mark out the dimensions of the sole. A hand-held router selects in the table top a groove 8-10 mm along the marked seat.
- Saw a saw, correct if necessary, after that mark out places of its fastening and a slot for a gear wheel. If you plan to do material cuts at different angles, consider this when marking the slot - it will have a trapezoidal section with a vertex down.
- On the underside of the tabletop, using a pencil and ruler, markings are made for the stiffeners, later the legs of the table will be fastened. The stiffeners are made from a board of 50x100 mm and placed around the perimeter at a distance of 7-10 cm from the edges of the table. Apply the board to the countertop and outline it on both sides, after which the central line is marked along the ruler, and on it marks the position of the screws - 5 cm from the edge of each rib and 15-20 cm along its entire length. Drill holes through the markings through and through.
- Perform the marking of the boards for longitudinal stiffeners and saw them. Attach to the table top for carpentry glue, clamped with clamps. After that, place the lateral ribs in place, saw and glue in the same way.
- After bonding without removing the clamps, extend the structure with self-tapping screws on the holes made, pre-drilling them from the outside so that the screws of the screws will be fully recessed in the countertop.
- self-tapping screws. Screw the stiffeners together into two 50 mm self-tapping screws on each side. Remove the clamps. The finished table top looks like this.
- Table legs are made from a board of 50x100 mm. The height of the legs should ensure the convenience of work, on average it is 100-110 cm. The board is cut along the longitudinal axis at a small angle from one side. They are tied to the table top so that during installation they stand slightly ghostly. Fasten the legs from the outside of the stiffeners to the bolts. To increase the stability, you can make screeds from the bar 50x50 mm.
- Install the hand circular saw in the prepared groove from the underside of the table top, fixing the sole to the bolts, the toothed disc is inserted into the slot.
- You can mark the table to facilitate the sawing of the material. The table itself is recommended to be varnished in several layers in order to protect it from moisture and to facilitate sliding of the timber.
- It remains to decide the issue with turning the saw off and on. If you have sufficient knowledge in electrical engineering, you can shunt the power key and take out the control buttons on the outer surface of the front stiffener. If this circuit seems too complicated for you, it will be enough just to remove the key with a wire and turn on and off the saw with the power cord.
- The table design is quite simple, and anyone can handle it with its manufacture. If you want to extend the functionality of the circular saw table, increase its security, you can make the design more complex, as shown in the video.
Thus, as you could be sure to make a table for a circular saw with your own hands - this is a simple task that any summerman can do.