Choosing lighting is not the least in the process of repair. Sometimes this is what determines the important moments when deciding the ceiling and wiring. The purpose of the room determines the requirements for the light functional.
Spot lights are becoming more popular, because they successfully solve the problems of small rooms, not "eating" space. In the bathroom it is especially important, and compared with the Soviet version of the ceiling or proudly hanging from the ceiling lamp Ilyich, the spotlight looks particularly aesthetic and even festive.
What is different from usual?
In addition to marking on the product box and a larger price tag than for a conventional lamp, bathroom fixtures are notable for their quality and availability of additional protection methods.
It is the protection of a person and a lamp from the negative effect of interaction of metals, current and water among themselves - this is the main advantage of spotlights. This protection also provides a long service life and the replacement of such lamps has to be made less often.
And how such systems are popular with designers! Here a lot of advantages: you can zonate space, visually enlarge the room, make a prosaic bathroom a truly royal room! Also, spot lighting will distract attention from something less beautiful, will make an elegant accent on a particular part of the interior. For example, on a multi-level ceiling, expensive tub, large mirror. For the illuminated mirror you can earn thanks from the female half, and for men it will be very functional.
Eye-friendly lighting level is useful, including, for health, relieves eye strain and gives psychological relaxation. Doctors are categorically against saving on lighting.
- Optional equipment. When selecting some types of lamps, the use of transformers is required( this information will be provided later), that is, a bit of reflection before the choice is necessary.
- Replacing bulbs. The mechanism of waterproof appliances does not like additional contacts. Therefore, the first time to quickly screw in and unscrew the burned out lamp will not work.
- Installation of the system. If you live in an apartment with low ceilings, then it will be impossible to install point lighting on the ceiling without special hanging ceiling systems.
But if you have large voids in a concrete ceiling slab, you can lay a wire in them and install spotlights.
And of course, the cost of a one-time investment for the purchase of lighting fixtures is quite large.
In protection of spotlighting in general, you can say that all these manipulations need to be done not so often, especially if you are targeting quality brands or working with experienced masters who will be able to give sensible advice on your premises.
Now for spotlighting bathrooms, manufacturers offer:
- incandescent lamps;
- LED lights;
- fluorescent lighting;
- halogen lamps.
In practice, the last three options are popular.
Why not incandescent bulbs? They are good in dispersing light, and for spotlights it is necessary to use instruments with an elongated and pear-like shape. To the size was less "save" on the power. However, their power consumption is relatively large( 20-30 W per 1 sq.), And they burn out faster than other lamps. Therefore, users are rarely interested in lighting options for rooms where lamps "Ilich" are required.
The energy-saving, halogen and LED ways of equipping supporters are much greater. These options consume less electricity, work longer than described above. Halogen lamps are used up to 10 W / sq. M., Are somewhat capricious, because their body reacts negatively to direct contact with the human body( hand), in addition they need to provide separate disposal. Luminescent also demanding the last point, but more economical in energy consumption. LED - the most compact and "hard-working" lamps, they are the most expensive. Like energy-saving, "eat" up to 6 W / sq. M.Still, the advantages outweigh, otherwise how to explain the number of fans?
Important nuance: diodes usually act as a supplement, they are used for decorative purposes, zoning. Colored diode lamps are easier to find, and due to their small size, they are well tolerated by mechanical and thermal effects when placed correctly. For a familiar understanding of lighting, energy saving and halogen lamps are preferred.
Kinds on how to fix
With the modern variety of styles used in the interior, it would be strange to have only one option for lighting the bathroom. In a specialized store, the eyes just run away, but in practice everything is much simpler. Waterproof lamps differ in the manner of attachment, type of grouping, location and type of lamps used.
Rotary and non-rotating. The fixing method distinguishes spotlights and non-rotating lamps. Swivel can change the direction of the beam, which allows you to choose the spotlight, manually adjusting the lamp. This option is often used in other types of premises, as well as used in high-tech chandeliers. For a bathroom, this method is not always suitable, and the design with soffits is more expensive.
The second variant assumes rigid fastening, therefore the ray of light gets on a concrete site and it is already impossible to correct it after installation. Therefore, the connection of the point lamps is done according to the schemes in order to be able to select scenarios, providing illumination by zones or the entire room as a whole. The lamp here will have to be used more than in the first case.
By type of grouping, you can conditionally be divided into three versions:
Often the use of this or that option depends on the placement. Single people assume lighting in the form of a wall sconce with a small number of lamps, the functional of which is limited to the decoration of the room. Mortise lamps "hide" all the wires behind the lining, they are often placed on the ceiling, because no other part of the room can afford to "eat" space so that it is not so noticeable. On the walls, cabinets of furniture, remote versions with a compact connection and fastening design are used. For large rooms decorators use floor lighting, but this is more likely a rarity than the norm.
Where to place?
Our bathrooms are rarely large, infrequently they have windows, so the question is particularly acute. Actually everything that is compact, fit on square meters most essential. Therefore, many choose ceiling lighting. Even if you use recessed luminaire options, their designs will be hidden by hanging ceilings or special panels. It's also functional: additional insulation from moist air. This option will give a good background light, however some parts of the room may appear darkened.
Built-in lighting is also used for furniture in the bathroom. For example, lockers, mostly mirrors. Since for many a bath is a room for a move, the desire to "illuminate" the mirror is quite logical. When designing, many women will only think about how to make the area near the light-colored mirror to be able to apply make-up in comfortable conditions. Shaving is also more convenient, since the possibility of an unsuccessful foreshortening becomes lower.
Much less frequently used by our people in the bathroom area coverage of vertical surfaces - walls, podiums, side walls of the built-in bath. Serious figurines and voluminous compositions in such a room are placed only by wealthy citizens who invite specialists for design. And wall lamps more often suffer from proximity to wet surfaces and water penetration inside the device. In larger rooms, the dampness is less, using such an option will be easier and safer. Because of the need to use room space and freedom for the spread of light, outdoor appliances can also afford only owners of a huge bathroom. In a small room floor lamps are lost, but because such an option under normal conditions becomes a losing one.
Tips for choosing
It is impossible to give an unambiguous conclusion about which luminaire to use. Everyone is accustomed to using the bathroom at his discretion. However, the choice of spot lighting depends on:
- Functional. If the bathroom mirror is only needed for cleaning teeth, then it is not always necessary to highlight it. But if you want high-quality reflection, then without lighting the mirror can not do. Similarly, the issues of zonal lighting are solved.
- Cost. In addition to purchasing replaceable lamps, you need to think about the installation method. Total expenses will be rather large, at the same time such an investment is long-term, and therefore justified. In order not to regret the money spent, it is worthwhile to think about 2-3 draft versions of lighting. This will allow you to compare the potential cost and utility for you personally.
- Harmoniousness and beauty. Lighting does not exist separately from the room, its design, color scheme and the purpose of the room. Therefore, giving preference to any variant of a spotlight, one must pay attention to the details visible to the eye. Manufacturers try to use universal colors - chrome, bronze, gold, copper. Think, what "noble" metal will be combined with the color of furniture, tiles, sanitary ware? Matt or shiny? The general style of the room and the selected lamp also has a value.
- Placement and destination. The degree of protection against interaction with water in lamps is different. Even with very tidy owners, water sometimes falls on the mirror. When using local lighting, there is a danger of short-circuiting or electric shock, therefore safety becomes a priority. You can, of course, make a minimum of movements so that the water spray does not scatter. And you can go with the mind and choose a good moisture-resistant lamp, which everyone will like. For example, a mark on package IP 44 means that such devices are adapted to a rare interaction with water, but they tolerate high humidity in the bathroom well. But IP 55 guarantees the endurance of the structure to a long "watering", such lamps can be placed in close proximity to the water source.
- Lamp power. The cost has already been mentioned. You can roughly calculate how many lamps are recommended for comfortable lighting. The consumption standard per square meter is indicated on the box, knowing the dimensions of the bathroom, you can easily determine the required quantity.
- Qualities. Low cost is often synonymous with poor performance and frequent replacement. When choosing the type of lamp and lamps, give preference to proven brands. Many brands, when entering a new market, offer reduced prices for their products. However, the quality and compliance with technology and regulations in this case is difficult to give.
If we are not talking about suspended ceilings, incandescent lamps, then installing the structure and lighting sources is a relatively simple task. Built-in lamps can only be placed when repairing and installing the surface where the spot light will be placed. It's better to entrust this work to professionals. Accurate calculation will help to ensure safety: only in this case the electrically conductive parts will be "drowned" and isolated from the raw air.
When working with halogen lamps, glass containing quartz should not be touched. Fat tracks enter into a chemical reaction that disrupts the safety and integrity of the lamp. And the service life due to this is significantly reduced.
If you need to replace the lamp with a "hidden" body, you can use this recommendation. Inspect the bulb housing carefully and locate the fastening springs on it. Tightly pressing them against the lamp body, insert the element into the hole in the socket. After the fingers release the lamp, the "petals" for the fasteners will open and fix the body in the structure.
There are some disputes about installing lamps of different power. For point light fixtures of maximum power, experts recommend buying and protective shutdown devices, which, in the event of a malfunction, turn off the lighting in the room and protect them from shorting. In addition, such a device has a function for saving energy consumption. But when choosing a low-power version of power consumption, electricians recommend using an adapter - a transformer, which will help to adapt the luminaire to the voltage difference.
The bathroom is one of the attributes of a comfortable life for a modern person. Repair in this room is done for a very long time, so responsibly approaching the design and selection of lighting is extremely important. By giving preference to modern technologies and quality materials, one can add sophistication to everyday life. The bathroom is used several times a day. Add beauty to your interior, please yourself and loved ones!