- 1 Application of polyurethane adhesive
- 2 Preparation of dry mixes
- 3 How to prepare glue
Bonding the outside walls of the house with EPS plates is a reliable way to insulate the home. At present, the installation of expanded polystyrene to a wall is carried out in two ways: the use of a one-component polyurethane adhesive( packaging-ballon) or the use of dry mixtures( usually they are packaged in bags).
Let's consider both methods in more detail:
Application of polyurethane adhesive
One-component polyurethane adhesive is used for gluing foam plates, as well as extruded polystyrene foam. Mounting adhesive for expanded polystyrene is used in the work on external insulation of house walls. The composition of the adhesive contains polymers of isocyanates, which have a high level of viscosity, which promotes rapid initial setting. As a result of the reaction of moisture in the atmosphere and isocyanates, the glue hardens.
Polyurethane adhesive for expanded polystyrene: advantages of
- high level of adhesion( adhesion) to expanded polystyrene and to the base;
- convenience and ease of use;
- foam for fixing expanded polystyrene allows to work at lower temperatures than with dry glue mixtures;
- the use of glue contributes to a significant reduction in the time of work on the thermal insulation of walls.
The consumption of glue this type: one cylinder is enough to glue a plate of expanded polystyrene with an area of 5-6 m2.
How to prepare the base for pasting with expanded polystyrene?
- The substrate must be cleaned of contaminants and substances that reduce adhesion: fats, oils, paintwork. For removal use solvents or water under pressure. After exposure to water, the surface must be dried.
- The base must be strong, which is determined by its tapping.
- If there is a fungus or moss on the surface - clean it with a steel brush, then treat it with fungicidal preparations.
- If the substrate consists of a good absorbent material( silicate blocks, foam concrete, aerated concrete), the surface must be primed and allowed to dry.
Carrying out work with foam for fixing expanded polystyrene
- Apply glue, leaving the edge of expanded polystyrene 20 mm, along the perimeter and one line diagonally.
- Apply a plate of expanded polystyrene, lightly pressed.
- Within 20 minutes the position of the plate can be adjusted.
- The gaps between the plates should not be more than 2 mm, the plates must be glued in one plane.
- After 2 hours, polystyrene foam can be fixed with spacer dowels.
Preparation of dry mixes
This kind of glue for gluing polystyrene foam consists of a polymer-cement mixture including mineral fillers. The glue, prepared from dry mixes, has plasticity, quickly hardens, has a high level of adhesion to the surface( adhesion), is easy to use.
To prepare the glue you will need:
- a bucket for water;
- glue container;
- blade to mix glue( you can use a drill, but a specially designed tool);
is a dry mix.
How to prepare glue
Consider, for example, the preparation of glue for polystyrene boards. For this, it is necessary to follow the sequence of certain actions:
Pour water into the bucket. The volume of water is calculated by the formula based on the amount of glue( per 1 kg of dry mixture - 0.24 liters of water).For example, for 6 kg of the mixture - 1.44 liters of water.
We measure the right amount of dry mixture, in our example - 6 kg.
Gradually add the mixture to the water, mix thoroughly. Stir until the lumps disappear.
Let the mixture stand for 5-10 minutes.
Stir the resulting mixture again. The glue for gluing the expanded polystyrene is ready.
Consumption of glue from the dry mixture when fixing the polystyrene foam to the wall - about 6 kg per 1 m2.
Prepare glue from dry mix - useful tips
- Water and all used containers for glue preparation must be clean.
- Do not mix the glue from the previous batch, left in the container, with a new batch - this can lead to premature setting of the glue.
- The speed of rotation of the blade when using a drill or special mixer should not exceed 300 rpm.
- The bladder should be completely immersed in the mixture, otherwise air bubbles may form, which will reduce the adhesive's ability to bond twice.
- The adhesive from the dry mix should be used within 2 hours.
Popular brands of glue for expanded polystyrene
- Penosil - glue-foam, has excellent sealing, gluing qualities.
- KNAUF Sevener is a dry mix, has a calc-cement base, contains special additives and fibers, which ensure a high level of adhesion and cracking.
- Technionikol - glue-foam, used for expanded polystyrene and extruded polystyrene foam, resistant to moisture, aging, mold.
- Cerezit - adhesive foam, has good water resistance, thermal insulation properties.
- Bitumast - adhesive for extruded polystyrene foam, is made on the basis of bitumen, solvent, filler and plasticizer. It is not afraid of low temperatures, it creates additional waterproofing of the surface.
Video on handling expanded polystyrene
Errors of mounting polystyrene foam