Bath curtains- convenient and stylish accessory, allowing to divide the room into several functional areas, and also to protect the floor from water splashes. Before, a string was used to suspend the curtain, but this version of the fastening, which can not be called reliable and aesthetic, today completely replaced the curtain rod.
Selection of fabrication material
The curtain rod is a more reliable and durable holder than the string, which is made of various materials:
- Plastic rods. They are the easiest and affordable. Movement of curtains on the rod of plastic is almost noiseless, but this accessory also has significant drawbacks: the rapidly deteriorating material is short-lived and changes color over time.
- Metal rods. Belong to a higher price category. Cross-bars made of stainless chromium-plated steel and aluminum are distinguished by higher strength, resistance to corrosion, humidity, temperature differences, and also have a more presentable appearance.
- Combined rods , made of metal with enamel or plastic coating. This is the best option, combining the reliability of a metal product and the practicality of plastic. Wooden crossbeams .Despite the fact that wooden bars are impregnated with a moisture-resistant compound, this piece of interior is considered exclusive and is used in designs where beauty tends to prevail over functionality.
Regardless of the material of the product, the curtain rod for curtains needs periodic care. If you regularly wipe the structure from moisture and watch for the appearance of corrosion, this piece of interior will last you long and dignified.
Selecting the shape of the
In order to perform its functions well, the curtain rod should ideally repeat the bathroom lines. According to the shape of the cornices are divided into standard straight and angular structures and special non-standard, made to order.
Standard - Straight
The standard straight rod is of fixed length or telescopic. This is an uncomplicated, universal in the fastening and therefore a popular design, resting on both sides of the walls without any corners and bends.
Angled or arched crossbar
An angled or arched crossbar is the optimum modification for shower cabins or pallets located near the wall. Arc bar has a certain radius of rounding and in shape resembles a semicircle.
The angular rod can consist of one or more angles.
The most common:
- L-shaped model having one right angle;
- is a more complicated U-shaped bar, used in cases where the bath is adjacent to one wall.
A special non-standard rod is usually made to order under the individual shape of the bathtub and can have a variety of lines: undulating, arched, asymmetrical, trapezoidal or hexahedral, and also consists of several parts and levels.
Fantasy of designers and architects has no boundaries and allows you to use in the process of creating such rods atypical for such a cornice materials: wood or glass.
To choose the fastening for curtains it is necessary proceeding from stylistics and design of accessories and sanitary technicians, and also the general style of design of a bathroom.
Classification by design
Among the variety of interior items for the arrangement of comfort in the bathroom, you can find many models of holders for curtains, different from each other in material, shape, style and color scheme.
Let's consider which crossbar will best fit the design and functional purpose of your interior:
- For classic, wall-mounted bathtubs, a straight or curved bar with a slight bend will work.
- Angular and curved baths, as well as pallets, are draped using corner cornices of G- and U-shaped shapes.
- In spacious rooms where the bathing zone is often arranged in the middle, the bath is closed by a closed( round, rectangular, arched) bar.
When selecting the eaves for curtains, you should also take into account the permissible load: so the plastic bar will be in harmony with the light vinyl curtain, and the metal bar - with a massive fabric curtain.
Rings for curtains in the bathroom
Rings for curtains in the bathroom are selected depending on the material of the crossbar. Metal rings are stronger than plastic ones, but when moving along the ledge they can go hard, which leads to premature wear of the mount and produce loud ringing noise. Rings of plastic move quietly, but they are much faster than metal lose their appearance. The most practical material for the manufacture of rings for the rod by specialists is considered metal with a polymer coating. It combines the reliability of metal holders, and the quietness of plastic.
Why fasten the
curtain rod? You can fasten the curtain holder yourself, but before installing it, carefully determine the mounting location. The following installation options are available:
- Wall mount.
- Ceiling mounting.
For angular rods in the bend area, it is recommended to securely fasten to the ceiling surface, since the supports of the curved rod to the two opposite walls will not be sufficient. In addition, if there are suspended ceilings in the bathroom, fixing the fasteners to the ceiling surface is not possible.
For maximum protection of the bathroom floor surface from splashes and moisture, it is important to suspend the bar so that the curtains cover the bath by about 15 cm. Also it is not necessary to fasten the bar close to the surface of the ceiling - it is worth to retreat from it at least 10-15 cm.
Installation of the telescopic rod
Telescopic rod is a kind of cornice consisting of two tubes of larger and smaller diameter inserted into each other, recommended for use forlight curtains made of polyethylene and vinyl. The advantage of the telescopic bar is that it does not have dimensions, since its size varies due to the prefabricated structure.
Telescopic rod is easily attached and dismantled, and it is impossible to damage the wall.
The installation of the telescopic boom does not require drilling the walls and consists of only three steps:
- Selecting the required height - it is enough that the curtain "come" behind the bath surface by 15 cm;
- Selection of the required length ;
- Fastening and fixing of the cornice.
For fixing the telescopic bar, it is sufficient to extend the crossbar to a length that is 1-2 cm longer than the distance between the walls and, using a ladder, insert the cornice between the wall surfaces. Due to the operation of the inner spring, the bar will act as a spacer. This kind of fastening is difficult to call reliable, because with a strong physical impact, the crossbar can easily move or fall and is not recommended for installation in bathrooms that children use.
Installation with fasteners
It is much more difficult to install a curtain rod for curtains with a wall or ceiling mount. For this, you need to have tools such as a drill, a drill or a drill bit for concrete, a tile drill, a Phillips screwdriver and a pencil.
Sequence of fixing the rod to the wall is as follows:
- Attach the curtain rod to the edge of the bathtub and identify the places of contact with the wall surfaces;
- Using the level, raise these points by 150-160 cm up, given the length of the curtain. If the crossbar attachment area coincides with the tile seam, move it a distance to the side to avoid complete tile damage.
- Take the end pieces that come with the holder and, aligning them with the wall, mark the points where it is necessary to drill the holes.
- Make holes of the required diameter with a depth of about 40 mm and using a hammer carefully knocks the dowels in them so as to leave a free portion of them about 1 mm long. When installing the crossbar into the walls of plasterboard, special dowels are used, which are popularly called "butterflies".
- Align the fastening elements to the wall and secure them with screws;
- Unscrew the clamping screw, fit the decorative caps and insert the crossbar into the end pieces.
If you need to install a rod to a tile of glass or porcelain stoneware, you need a diamond drill.