Black mold that appears on the walls of the bathroom and other damp rooms is a fungus. Struggle with it sometimes lasts for years, because thanks to microscopic disputes it dissipates and affects all new areas, while deeply penetrating into the structure of porous materials.
Black mold is not only not aesthetically pleasing, but also dangerous. The products of the fungus are toxic and able to penetrate the human body, even through the pores in the skin, causing allergies, respiratory diseases and general intoxication of the body. Some varieties of the fungus can even germinate in the respiratory tract when the spores come into contact with the respiration. Therefore, it is necessary to fight the fungus, not allowing its spread.
Reasons for the appearance of mold
Where does mold come from? People's rumor speaks clearly - from dampness. And this is true, the fungus begins to develop at a humidity of at least 70%, and the optimum humidity for its development is 90%.The temperature regime is not so important, some varieties of fungus can grow successfully at high temperatures, and the familiar temperature for us in the bathroom is optimal for mold.
The total humidity in the bathroom rises during the shower or bath, when water gets on different surfaces, and when condensation forms. Therefore, all measures of the global struggle against mold must first of all be aimed at eliminating the causes of its appearance.
The reasons for the appearance of mold include:
- Poor ventilation of the bathroom due to insufficient extraction;
- Badly heated towel rail( coil);
- Finishing the walls of the bathroom with porous materials that can accumulate moisture;
- Leakage in mixer, in pipes;
- Condensation on walls and pipes caused by temperature differences.
The pores of the fungus can penetrate into any room and retain the ability to germinate for years, and it is useless to fight it. It is necessary to prevent the emergence of conditions for its development.
Methods for combating mold
Methods of struggle are reduced to two main areas:
- Elimination of high humidity;
- Application of antiseptics and solutions that hamper the development and growth of the fungus.
The fight should be complex, and only then the elimination of the fungus will be complete, and the effect - long-term.
Elimination of high humidity
- The main method of controlling humidity is sufficient ventilation of the bathroom. In typical building houses, as a rule, ventilation is carried out naturally through the ventilation holes in the upper part of the walls or in the ceiling. They exit into the common ventilation duct. Check the quality of the thrust by attaching a sheet of thin paper to the grille of the ventilation window. If the draft is good, the sheet will be held by the flow of air. If there is insufficient traction, it is necessary to clean the ventilation grill, and sometimes the ventilation duct itself. If this measure was not enough, it is possible to install a grate with a built-in exhaust fan in the ventilation window. In this case, it is necessary to ensure the flow of air from other premises, for example, open the door for a while.
- The temperature in the bathroom also matters: at higher temperatures moisture evaporates faster, the surfaces dry better. Ideally, the bathroom should be 2-3 degrees warmer than in other rooms. This can be achieved by installing additional radiators or a coil, as well as using a warm floor in the bathroom.
- It is necessary to eliminate all leaks in the water supply: replace the gaskets in the faucets, install modern faucets, valves. It is also possible to replace metal pipes with plastic ones - they do not form condensate.
- If the bathroom is located at the outer walls of the house, condensation may also form on the walls during the cold season. In this case, the walls are better insulated. It is also necessary to insulate the floor on the first floor - this will not only reduce the humidity, but also improve the overall microclimate in the bathroom.
Room treatment with antiseptics
- Before processing, it is necessary to thoroughly clean the affected areas with a view to removing the fungal colonies and their spores. For this, first of all, it is necessary to wear rubber gloves and a respirator - the products of the life of the fungus are dangerous for health.
- brush Mold is rinsed off using a sponge and warm water using chlorine-based detergents. If the mold was formed on a smooth surface, for example on a tile, this measure is often enough to remove the fungus. In addition, it is necessary to treat the tiles with special antiseptics from mold or concentrated chlorine solution.
- If the fungus penetrates deeper, for example, into the grout between the tiles, remove the old grout with a spatula and dry the walls thoroughly. For drying, you can use a building hair dryer. Then the joints are smeared with antiseptic from mold. Do this twice before waiting for the antiseptic solution to dry completely. After this, the joints are grouted in the usual way. When diluting the dry mix for zatirkimozhno add antiseptic.
- If the mold has penetrated deeply, under the tile or into the plaster layer, to completely eradicate it, it is necessary to repel the tile and remove the plaster layer, peel the concrete surface with a metal brush and soak the antiseptic with a brush or spray. After waiting for complete drying of the solution, a second layer of antiseptic is applied. Next, finish the walls in the usual way.
- In especially neglected cases with a strong defeat of walls on an area of more than 1-2 square meters it is better to entrust this work to professionals. They will make a mold analysis to determine the strain of the fungus, after which the most effective means and concentration will be selected.
After all the work to eliminate the fungus, the ventilation ducts must be serviced in a timely manner, and if even small areas of mold appear again, repeat the repeated and preventive treatment of the wall surface every two to three months.