Every person has ever encountered mold, so that he can immediately find it. Mold often appears in the bathroom, because the conditions of this room are most favorable for its appearance and development.
Molds are microspores, which move in the air. When favorable conditions arise for them, they settle on the walls and begin to multiply actively. As a result, soon black spots begin to appear.
Conditions that promote multiplication of microspores:
- high humidity level - about 90-95%, as evaporation of large volumes of water occurs;
- insufficient amount of sunlight
- poor ventilation , fresh air intake is weak;
- during the repair work there was no additional processing of the walls of the or was performed poorly.
The above conditions often occur in the bathroom, so the appearance of mold in the bathroom is quite common.
Than the mold in the bathroom is dangerous
When the mold only begins to appear on the ceiling or walls, you will see black dots, which then become stains, if you do not take any measures to fight. The presence of mold spoils the appearance of the bathroom. Over time, the lining and plaster will begin to exfoliate. But this is not all the damage to mold.
The main harm microspores of mold can inflict on your health and others. They can provoke the development of candidiasis, cause allergic reactions, and also cause the development of bronchial asthma and other respiratory diseases.
To prevent mildew from appearing in your home, you should adhere to some rules for the prevention of .Namely:
- The heated towel rail must be present in the bathroom, as it perfectly warms the air, as a result of which moisture is lost.
- Try to open the door frequently to the bathroom to improve air circulation. You can also use the exhaust fan for the bathroom.
- After taking bath procedures, it is necessary to wipe the damp surfaces with a dry cloth, special attention should be given to the tiles and the floor covering.
- Clean the surface of the bathroom frequently in the bathroom to avoid condensation. Pay special attention to the seams between the ceramic tiles, the gaps behind the sink, the bathtub, the shower. To prevent the occurrence of mold, it is necessary to carry out treatment with the help of special antiseptics. You can use different grouts or mastics for joints between tiles and the surface of the tile so that less moisture is absorbed.
- It is not recommended to dry the wet things in the bathroom so that the humidity level does not increase.
- It is necessary to monitor the condition of the water supply system so as not to miss a small leak.
Mold is often formed in the bathroom, so you should regularly inspect the walls and ceiling, and do not forget about preventive work. If you just notice the first manifestations of mold, then immediately start fighting with it. If the measures taken are not effective, then you should use strong chemical preparations or act cardinally - carry out major repairs.
The main rule is that regular cleaning of the bathroom should be carried out, even if everything seems visually clear. It is necessary to wipe the ceramic tile, thoroughly wash the floor using special detergents.
Cleaning will help prevent the first appearance of mold or get rid of active spore reproduction.
Symptoms of mold
If you start the reproduction of mold, then it is very difficult to get rid of it. This can take even a few years. Therefore, at an early stage of its manifestation, an immediate struggle should begin.
A sign of mold is the formation of a raid, and it does not consist of contaminants, but has a peculiar color - black, gray or marshy. Try it to the touch, and you immediately determine or it's mold, because it is characterized by softness and porosity.
You should also pay attention to the places that are most prone to manifesting mold - these are the walls of the shower cubicle, under the bathroom, around the washing machine. Spores usually multiply in places where moisture can not dry out.
If you still find it difficult to determine or the resulting scurf is moldy, then you should sniff. The smell of stale and moist air can not be confused. There is such a feeling, as if you are in an old damp cellar or cellar.
Many people use traditional methods of fighting mold, because they were used by more than one generation of people. To start an active war with mold spores, you first need to look at how much the walls and ceiling are hit. The use of special preparations for the destruction of fungi according to the instructions is as follows: the product should be diluted in 10 liters of water, then applied to the walls and wiped dry after a few hours.
Chlorine and vinegar
Even the grandmothers used bleach and vinegar to rid their house of mold. For today in any store of household chemical goods it is possible to buy means that in its structure there was a chlorine. First, the affected walls are smeared with a special chlorine-containing solution, and the procedure is repeated several times.
Then after two or three hours pass before cleaning the wall from the spores, using a stiff brush.
Instead of chlorine, you can try liquid bleach, but the treatment procedure must be done several times, because the chlorine concentration there is small.
technical alcohol is also very popular in the fight against the enemy. First it is applied to walls and after three or four hours it should be removed from the surface.
Many generations use copper sulfate. It is applied with a special brush, and after a few hours, as well as in the previous versions, the solution is washed off the walls and they are dried. When using it, you need to be very careful, to act according to safety rules.
Laundry soap with the addition of creosote or urea
Recipes for the preparation of a solution for the removal of mold in ten liters of water.
You can prepare one of the proposed options:
- 1 kg of copper sulphate;
- 100 g of copper sulfate and bleach with chlorine content;
- 500 g of copper sulfate and 2 liters of table vinegar;
- 1 liter of bleach, which includes chlorine.
Boric acid, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar and water
Still well removes mold special solution with boric acid, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar and water. Their number should be carried out according to the ratio 1: 2: 2: 4.To strengthen the action of the solution, it must be heated to 50-70 degrees.
If the mold has already hit huge areas of the bathroom, the above mentioned means will not help. It remains only one option - to knock down the walls to a brick to remove all the damaged material and to clean.
How to deal with mold by modern means
Modern means for fighting mold are more effective, and the expected result will not take long.
- Chemicals special composition can get rid of mold at its first signs. First, using a sponge, remove black spots, and then apply the substance to the affected areas. In order to avoid re-infection, this procedure should be repeated several times.
- Antiseptics of powerful action are used at the last stage of multiplication of microspores. They can be of different types: water-soluble, oil-based or based on white spirit. When choosing an antiseptic, one should start from the material on which the mold develops. But, do not postpone the overhaul. It is better to use antiseptics on bare walls, after removing tiles, plaster or other facings.
- The procedure of ionization and sanitation of air will help to forget about mold once and for all. To conduct it, a specialist is called up who acts according to all safety rules. This procedure will also help to get rid of rodents and insects. But its cost is quite large, that's why the specialists are turned to the services of already very neglected cases.
How to get rid of the smell of dampness in the bathroom
Usually the appearance of mold in the bathroom is characterized by an unpleasant smell of dampness. To get rid of the smell, you must eliminate the source of infection, namely all materials on which there are fungus spores.
If the mold appeared on the ceramic tile, you can try to wash it and clean it from the fungus with special solutions. If under the influence of mold got a floor covering, plaster or gypsum board, nothing will help to remove an unpleasant smell. The only way will be the implementation of major repairs.
To get rid of the smell of mold for a while, you need to ventilate the bathroom more often, use air fresheners.
Very good tool is baking soda, thanks to the excellent absorption of odors. It is recommended to sprinkle all the pre-treated areas in it and clean after a few hours. Also, remember that soda absorbs and moisture, so it will be a good prevention of the appearance of fungus.
Remember that it is better to follow the rules for the prevention of mold formation than to fight with it a long time. But, if the mold appeared in your bathroom, it can be easily defeated using folk or modern methods.