Acrylic baths have become frequent guests of modern bathrooms, because they are much lighter than cast iron, aesthetic, having different types of design. But over time, such products can be damaged, losing their former neat appearance. How can I repair an acrylic bath with my own hands, without involving the services of professional plumbers?
Common types of damage to acrylic bathtubs
- Mechanical, arising from careless use of hygiene items.
- Chemical, under the influence of strong detergents, which leave stains and other non-aesthetic traces.
You can solve these problems by replacing the damaged bath with a new one. Or you can repair the acrylic bath yourself, by restoring the product at a reasonable price.
Thinness of repair
Before beginning the "recovery" of the bath, it is important to determine the color of the product and the material from which it is made. A mismatch of tone can greatly affect the result of the work done, and reworking one work twice is not very desirable!
During the restoration period, the next set for repairing acrylic bathtubs will be required.
- A pair of rubber gloves.
- Polished disc or sponge.
- Bath pastes.
- Sandpaper from 2000 grains to 800.
- Liquid acrylic, to eliminate deeper chips.
- Drill with a drill bit 0,5-1mm.
- Alcohol solution.
- Soft, lint free tampon.
Instruction for beginners
- Professionals advise to expand the area of damage, so that the adhesion of old and new material does not differ visually, while the crack in depth and width should be increased by 2 mm.
- The surface to be repaired must be degreased with alcohol beforehand.
- Apply the mixture to the damaged area correctly, fresh acrylic should not rise above and be deeper than the old one.
- After the repair of the chipped acrylic baths, it is important to close the area with tape and tape and leave to dry completely for 6-7 hours. It is advisable at this time not to use the bathroom.
- After removing the protective film, treat the surface to be repaired with a sandpaper, which is included in the repair kit for repairing acrylic bathtubs.
We repair minor scratches and burns
If the damage is not deep, it's superficial, then repairing the acrylic coating of the bathtub will be very easy and simple.
Sandpaper of varying degrees of grain is damaged, first large, at the end - shallow. After finishing the polishing, it is required to treat the surface with acrylic bath polish. In such cases, the repair of the plastic bath is completed, but if the scratch is deeper, then liquid acrylic will not be enough.
Cracks on the acrylic bath appear due to the falling of a heavy object, wear or other force majeure. They must be removed immediately after detection, so as not to render the entire product unusable.
Cracks in the acrylic bath repair using epoxy putty. The actions are as follows: first, the damaged side is peeled off with a large sandpaper, then holes with 1 mm are drilled on each side of the crack with a drill. With a soap solution, the "blank" is washed out under the putty, which, after drying, is closed with a hole.
The applied compound is aged for about 12 hours, after the restoration area is ground.
How to repair a bath with acrylic using a repair tape?
The first part of the work before drying of the cleaned damaged surface is carried out in the same way as the above method, but later a part of the repair tape is cut off, the length of which covers the crack by 1 cm on each side of the pothole. The protective film is removed, and the sticky side is firmly adhered to the crack.
It is important to remove all air bubbles inside the cover. Three hours for complete grasp will be enough. It is forbidden to use a bath during this period, so that the liquid does not get under the tape and does not ruin all the work.
Repairing chips in the bath
How can I effectively fix the plumbing when chipped and even holes were formed on the acrylic bath?
To completely restore the functionality of the device, you will need to perform
repairing the chipped acrylic bathtubs in 2 stages.
- The surface is sanded with a coarse filler, the dried layer is sanded with sandpaper.
- After the acrylic bath has been repaired, the whole surface of the product has been polished. All corners are brightened, the bath gets a natural snow-white color, all cracks and falcons remain in the distant past.
When it comes to deep defects and serious holes, it is better to entrust the work to specialists, so that the product has served the owners faultlessly for many years to come.
For those who first encounter such a problem, it will be useful to view the video repair of acrylic bathtubs, where, for example, one of the consumers described step by step all the nuances and basic technical tasks.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to repair an acrylic bathtub so that the layers of material do not leave after a while?
Such a defect is possible if the elementary rules of installation and operation of the product are not observed, and also the started stage of crack development can cause such troubles. When the edges of scratches or splinters depart from the bottom layer of fiberglass, you need to take a special glue and glue the base before repairing the bath. Instead of glue, you can use a repair kit for fiberglass, which is sold in any store.
Using during the repair period of acrylic bathtubs video you can see in detail all the stages of preparation and technical characteristics of the sanitary equipment restorations.
People say they are afraid of your eyes, but your hands are doing it! Let your bath will always be unharmed, and on the question of how to repair an acrylic bath you knew all the necessary answers thanks to the above detailed material.
- 1 Common types of damage to acrylic bathtubs
- 1.1 Repair fineness
- 1.2 Required tools
- 1.3 Beginner's instruction
- 2 We repair small scratches and burns
- 2.1 Remove cracks
- 2.2 Repair chipping in the bath
- 2.2.1 Frequentuser questions