As a self-mount ceiling of MDF in three versions
Table of contents
- 1 The choice of material
2 Three variants of self-decoration of the ceiling of MDF panels
- 2.1 Variant № 1. Glue to help you
- 2.2 Variant № 2. Mount on a wooden crate
- 2.3 Variant № 3. Installation of the ceiling on metal frame
- 3 What you should pay attention to
- 4 Output
ceiling design - a fine thing that requires a cautious approach. After all, this sector has seen the room at once, and it can make the interior an exclusive or ruin the whole design forever. Installation of MDF panels on the ceiling at the moment can be considered a fresh trend in interior design. In this article I will discuss the installation of MDF panels with their hands, as well as a closer look at all the nuances associated with this process.
The combined two-level ceiling of slatted MDF panels.
The choice of material
MDF panels on the ceiling, in principle, no different from the wall options.
Generally there are three types of configuration of this material, you can choose if you want to, but there are nuances:
- The most common of this type of finishing materials are rack-type panel. They are made by analogy with clapboard, only instead of wood or plastic is used MDF. For those who are not confident in their abilities, and for the first time faced with such works, I recommend to take this option, it is the most simple, intuitive and easy to install. To learn how to do it, I'll discuss later;
More opportunities for creativity give a full-length sheets of MDF. The minimum width of 1040 mm in them, and running the length is 2400 mm, but there are models and more. Starting Thickness of 5 mm.
Initially, these lists were created for the needs of the furniture industry, but they are well suited for the lining. In particular, if you are going to own a two-tier suspended ceiling mount using the MDF, then this is your option. Instructions on this topic will also be given in the article;
Coloring sheets furniture.
- The third type of panels are squares or rectangles, in which the side length ranges from 30 - 95 cm. This option is typically used for walls in public buildings and offices, as it looks quite severely, roughly speaking, bureaucratic. Honestly I'm such a lining is not particularly pleasant, and the ceiling, I do not advise it.
Finishing rectangular panels.
With dimensions understood now for MDF coating. In the case of ceiling panels, people usually choose between two options, it is laminated or veneer sheet.
- Veneered natural wood looks pretty good, if well done, from the natural array can not be distinguished. But do not forget that we are dealing with a ceiling of veneer cover on top will stand long and look good in the living room or bedroom.
In the kitchen, let alone in the bathroom, veneer quickly lose its luxurious look and may even peel off, plus the price for it now is fantastic;
Material coated veneer.
- I believe that laminated MDF in the case of the ceiling, it is the best option. These panels are made of the same technology as the floor laminate, therefore, from a practical point of view, they are the most durable. According to the technology over the glued paper bases with ornaments, after which the panel is covered with a thin layer of solid melamine resin and hardy.
Many take this film for PVC, but it is not true. There are plastic lamination, but this is purely a furniture version, the ceiling it is irrelevant;
One type of laminate rack panels.
- There are also panels with 3D effect or enamelled, I should say, the price is exorbitant. In the first case, the surface of the MDF machine-executed decorative textured milling. And in the second array is covered with automotive enamel in several layers. In theory, set them up at the ceiling with his hands is possible, but such an expensive product is better left to professionals.
Panel with a 3D effect.
It is generally believed that the MDF is completely environmentally friendly material, but this is true only of the plate body. Melamine resin and other compositions used in the manufacture, contain a phenol, which is now recognized as a health hazard.
So, recently released a German company HDM panel market, which is used instead of melamine acrylate coating, and if you believe the advertising, acrylic MDF panels have the highest degree of environmental purity.
Three variants of self-decoration of the ceiling of MDF panels
Before you mount MDF panels on the ceiling, you need to carefully weigh their strength and capabilities. Under the opportunities I do not mean the finances, and your ability to cut, drill, or cut, plus, of course, the presence of a suitable tool.
With the tool's simple. Cutting MDF facing options best suited jigsaw, at worst you can do with a hacksaw on wood. Hacksaw blades can cut, but it is very long and hard.
Metal UD and CD profiles, cut with scissors for metal. Naturally, you can not do without an electric drill, a better punch.
The simplest liquid level.
Do not interfere with screwdriver, a screwdriver will be several times longer and harder. For marking, except pencils and roulette you need a carpenter and always fluid or laser level.
But this is a common set of tools. As I mentioned, we will talk about 3 ways of installation and in all cases require a full set of tools.
Variant № 1. Glue to help you
This is the easiest, quickest and cheapest way of finishing the ceiling. everything is easy here. First you need to treat the ceiling firming the soil, and when it dries, spread the panel suitable construction adhesive and glue them to the ceiling.
Most often, in this case the use "liquid nails", but apart from them there are plenty of other quality adhesives.
Since panels are glued to a flat surface.
But do not hurry to run to the market for glue. This method is suitable only for those lucky owners of apartments in which the ceiling is perfectly flat. It permitted a smooth elevation of the horizon less than 3 mm.
Honestly, such ceilings in our typical high-rise buildings are extremely rare. And in order to align the ceiling will need to invite quality plasterer that cost much more than their own to fix MDF panel on the crate. Plus the weight of the panels is much higher than, for example, plastic PVC lining, and there is always the possibility that the whole beauty of the ceiling will collapse together with plaster layer on your head.
Tip: Some masters say that the panels can be glued on the foam tape double-sided.
So, for facing flat walls, for example, on the balcony, this option is still nice.
But to mount, so the ceiling coating of MDF, I do not advise.
Double sided tape is not designed for permanent load at break.
Variant № 2. Mount on a wooden crate
For typical urban apartment with a ceiling height of about 2.6 - 2.8m mounting massive hinged construction is undesirable. Here everyone is important centimeter too low and if the lower level of the ceiling, instead of the coveted beauty you get oppressive atmosphere.
In such houses, floor slabs made of reinforced concrete slabs. By themselves, these plates are flat, but the builders are not always mount them strictly on the horizon, sometimes slope can be up to 50 mm. If you are planning a complete covering of the ceiling over the entire area, then a slight slope you will not hurt, believe me, he simply will not be visible on the flat plates.
For wooden battens must be taken equal, and well dried planed plank thickness of at least 30 - 40 mm, fine rake may crack when nailing or screwing screw. Freshly sawn wood can not be taken as dry as it can lead, and after a couple of months, your ceiling goes in waves. Not so important, laths are square or rectangular, the main thing that they were equal.
In the case of a continuous lining on the wooden frame, the most commonly used type of rack panels. If you follow the rules, then put the rack positioned perpendicular to the window, that is, along the luminous flux. But in the case of panels MDF is not always possible, because the maximum length of rail often does not exceed 4.8 m.
Attaching lining to a wooden frame on the ceiling.
Exit here for two. If you do not want to create problems themselves, then sew up the room parallel to that wall, the length of which does not exceed the size of the rack is much easier and more economical. To get the original design, the strap can be put on the diagonal. Mounting Technology itself is the same everywhere, but in a diagonal embodiment, the material will need about 20% more, it is caused by a large amount of waste during chopping.
Important: what would doest boards, MDF, plastic or wood, frame rails must be mounted perpendicular to the faceplate.
The exception is the diagonal option, the frame is simply mounted parallel to one of the walls of the room.
Mounting rack panels Extension.
As I have said, a small slope smooth ceiling will not hurt. But often slabs not quite docked smoothly and it is a problem. In order to hide such minor defects, the frame assembly should begin with fixing the two outer strips. They must be installed strictly in parallel, here you need to have a liquid or a laser level.
You will need to pull back from the adjacent wall, the one that is parallel to the bar, about 50 mm, and fix the bar on the ceiling, but the ends of the bars should rest against the adjacent wall.
If the ceiling is wooden, the strap can be fixed only on the screws. In the case of concrete slabs you will need to overlap nasverlit holes, insert them in plastic dowels and screw the bar with screws. Step mounting in both cases, about half a meter, screw should come in an array of no less than 50 mm.
Fixing bracket for screw with plastic anchor.
Important: concrete slab overlap usual drill you drill, drill only consumed.
In this case, can not do without Punch or drill with the shock function, plus drill themselves should be pobeditovymi tipped for work on concrete.
After two outer strips are secured in parallel on both sides, between them need to be taut three indicative cord, two on the edges and one in the middle. Simply thread the strap in a couple of screws and pull the fishing line between them.
These guidelines do we need to even bring on them all the intermediate frame strips and eventually get a plane. The principle is simple, if the bar does not want to become parallel to the other in one plane, it must be It will be either slightly sostrogat a plane or put under it a few wooden wedges and fix.
Facing the ceiling on the loggia.
MDF material itself is quite durable and hard, so, too many intermediate rail not need to fill enough 50 - 70 cm.
There is one subtlety. Wooden frame with a small space from a wall mounted only when the facial MDF slats are mounted parallel to one of the walls, that is, perpendicular to the frame strips.
If you are planning a diagonal installation, you must first back to back on the perimeter of the room to stuff a solid starter bar and after that set the intermediate frame plate. By the way, so to mount the frame is more convenient, easier to deduce the plane.
Integrated plating rack panels.
Installation of MDF panels to the ceiling on analogue lining can perform even the layman. All strips are joined on the principle of tongue and groove. Once you've measured out and cut off the starting bar, it is applied to the wall spike and retreat 10 - 15 mm from the wall is fixed with screws to all blocks of wood frame.
Only in the bar will need to pre-drill holes for the screws in podtaet, or MDF may crack. Do not worry, then these screws are closed ceiling moldings.
On the other hand inserted into the grooves of metal tabs klyaymerov then themselves klyaymery nailed or screwed to a wooden carcass bar. Spike following lath MDF is inserted into the groove of the previous and the back side is also fixed klyaymerami. And so long as you do not oboshete entire ceiling.
So rack panels are fixed klyaymerami.
Finishing chord will mount ceiling fillet around the room. This hardware is attached to the ceiling or on liquid nails, or hung on a special attachment, which are pre-bolted to the walls.
Variant № 3. Installation of the ceiling on metal frame
In order to build a two-tier suspended ceiling using MDF we will need to pre-assemble it under a framework of metal UD and CD profiles.
This is a fairly common material and you must have seen how such structures are attached sheets of drywall. The principle here is the same, only instead of drywall taken MDF.
The initial phase of the frame assembly.
In addition, the metal frame a universal thing. It is not a tree, it will not "walk" with temperature changes, can withstand a pretty decent weight facing material, and most importantly from the metal profiles can be shaped as a frame in one, and in several levels.
And here it does not matter how flat you have a basis in fact, we are suspending the new ceiling.
The only restriction here is the height of the ceiling, such structures are usually mounted on the ceiling of 3 m and above.
- Work begins here with a wall mounting start side bearing UD profile. As I mentioned, we derive the ceiling strictly on the horizon. To do this, using a liquid or a laser level, we find the lower (most cluttered) and the angle of the ceiling around the perimeter of the horizon makes a mark on the rest of the corners;
The framework for a smooth ceiling stretched to control the thread.
- After that, we step back down from these marks, at least 50 mm and "repulse" the perimeter, that is, draw a horizontal line on all the walls. This will be the framework for our future level of the ceiling;
- Fixing UD profile to the wall does not differ from the above-described fixing wooden planks on the ceiling, it is done in increments of 40 - 50 cm;
- If the framework is solid, that is, for the rest of the ceiling plane, the grooves opposing UD profiles CD profiles perpendicularly inserted and fixed connection with each other using small screws, so called "flea";
Mounting structure with the suspension.
- Metal CD bearing the profile will not be able to keep the entire ceiling structure, based only on the lateral guides the shelves. Therefore, even before he was inserted on the ceiling directly above him and draw a line through it perpendicularly, at intervals of about 1m to the ceiling with screws attached perforated metal hangers. And when the CD profile will take its place, "wings" folded hanger and attached "flea beetles" on the sides of the profile;
- Thereafter, the rack can sew ceiling MDF panels for the above described technology using klyaymerov. Naturally the fixing screws have to be metal. The general principle is shown in the diagram.
Scheme mounting on metal lath MDF solid frame.
Construction of the ceiling in two or more levels is done in a similar way, but here we need to make the nut, lowering it below the level of stretch ceiling. The way to the side of the vertical wall of the nut and fittings will be attached to the polymer film of a stretch ceiling.
Trimming UD profile for mounting rounded surfaces.
- As in the first case, and bounces horizontal wall mounted starter UD profile. But here it is installed only in places where our nut will be located;
- Next, we need to define and advance the marked line on the ceiling to make a series of runs. If the nut is planned straightforward, without smooth curves, the distance between the slopes is about 30 cm. And to build a smooth curvature, slope set every 3 - 4 cm;
Installation of a single sector.
- These slopes, in front of a wall-mounted UD profile attached a similar profile. In order to bend a profile, it is necessary to bend shelves in places trimmed with scissors for metal. I understand that the explanation in words can not be fully understood in order to make it easier, I drew a diagram and put photos and video in this article;
Frame combined ceiling MDF sheet.
When mounted on the ceiling slopes and bottom are attached to them "flea beetles' starter UD profile, it is necessary, according to the above described scheme to insert and fix the CD profiles on hangers and screws. Then it is possible to sew MDF ceiling and fastened to the frame of the valve and pull the polymeric film.
Of course the polymer film is not the only option, instead you can use any lining material for ceilings, but this tandem looks the best.
Tip: in order not tormented with the installation of sloping side wall of the nut, it is better to buy a special ready-flexible profile of the desired size.
Its price is certainly higher, but once you get rid of weight problems and save a lot of time.
Flexible profile under the multi-level ceiling.
What you should pay attention to
As I wrote earlier, the ceiling can sew like rails and solid MDF sheet. Over the rails I was told. As for the continuous sheet, there are some subtleties.
If you do not take into account the small-sized bathrooms, the continuous sheet to sew up the room are medium in size will not necessarily be the joints, and will need to decorate. Plus he sheet is attached to the crate through self-tapping screws and these also need to be closed.
Furniture profiles of MDF.
To connect exactly two sheets, produced a special connection profiles of flexible plastic, easy to work with them, if the joint figured, and the sheets are different colors or texture.
If the joint is smooth, it is necessary to calculate so that it accounted for a clear framework on the bar, to which both sheets are fastened with screws. Connecting profile is better not to use, as it will extend above the surface of the sheet.
Original design solution for a multi-level ceiling.
Now move on to decorating. Often the texture and colors of the ceiling is made of MDF wood, because it is easier to create a plain surface of the drywall. So in the furniture industry has figured strips of different widths, which are also made of MDF.
There they are used as overlays on the side edges and tops to decorate doors. In our case, these strips can be glued to the ceiling, closing of joints between sheets and hats of screws. The only disadvantage is that these strips are made straight.
Option joints decor using overlays.
As is known MDF does not bend. This feature of the material should be considered when creating a multi-level ceilings. On the horizontal plane to the ceiling as if there are no problems.
But here is the side wall of the vertical thresholds have to do straight. Or sew them to other, more flexible material. Most often, these vertical sections doorsteps with smooth curves drawn from pieces of drywall, then shpaklyuyut and painted.
There is another important point. Wiring in our homes, especially old buildings usually bricked into the wall just below the ceiling. And when mounting the wall UD profile for metal framework is likely accidentally damage it by drilling holes for fastening screws, with all the ensuing consequences.
Symbiosis MDF and drywall.
Therefore, before attempting to install design, no harm will be to find a route through which the wires are laid. Typically, wiring is laid parallel to the ceiling, and in the places of branches established movable box, that's on them and need to be guided. Although safer to use a special device to search for hidden wiring.
Kohl Since we are talking about the wiring, make sure that the wiring for integrated or overhead ceiling light need to lay the frame after installation. It is mounted in the cavities between the base and finishing the suspended ceiling. Moreover, according to the rules of all the electrical cables must be laid in corrugated metal or plastic sleeves.
Previously MDF rightly considered a highly flammable material. Now the domestic industrial group "Union" launched a fireproof panels, and so, for the ceiling is the best option. And do not forget, the panels are simple and moisture-proof, in our case, of course, better to take a water-resistant, especially for ceilings in kitchens and bathrooms.
Wiring hidden in a corrugated sleeve.
Installation of MDF panels to the ceiling, it is beautiful, fresh and fashionable. Plus, as you can see, set the bar with your hands is not so difficult. I tried as much detail as possible about the subject. But if you have any questions, please write them in the comments, let's talk.
The room is fully coated MDF.