Peat bio-toilet: all of the autonomous system of waste management
Table of contents
- 1 How does a peat recycling?
2 Which toilet to buy?
- 2.1 Popular brands
- 2.2 Tips for Choosing
3 How to make your own?
- 3.1 For home
- 3.2 Option for streets
- 4 Output
Peat compost composting toilet can solve the problem of recycling waste where there is no access to sanitation. Installing the finished model or construction of toilets in the home allows you to provide adequate sanitation.
In this article I will describe the principle of action of peat biotoilets, I will describe the most popular types and give recommendations on independent manufacturing system.
Installing such structures can be in the home and in individual booths
How does a peat recycling?
The principle of operation of the peat dry closet to give very simple:
- The basis of the system - a receptacle which is used for storing waste. In portable compact models, its volume amounts to 12 - 15 liters, in stationary can reach 150 liters or more.
The general scheme of the composting toilet
- For ease of use the container on top of the toilet seat is installed. It can be a part of the container, and a separate structure, for example, from the toilet seat, fastened to the wooden box. Installing the toilet seat helps us to send natural needs with the greatest possible comfort.
Optimal composting material - peat or torfosmes
- At the bottom of the collecting vessel is filled composting material. For this purpose, the peat used (pure or mixed with sawdust) granular clay, etc. Composting composition is substrate for the life of bacteria decomposing feces, in addition, it perfectly absorbs moisture, together with unpleasant smells.
The easiest way - manually filling peat
- After using the toilet compost is sprinkled with a fresh portion of peat. The easiest way to do this using the scoop, but the current models of composting toilets are equipped with special dispensers. So it is sufficient to press the lever - and a small amount of compost mixture is filled up to the right place.
Peat can be stored in a special tank with autosampler
- In qualitative devices dispenser and distributor is completed even - a small device, uniformly over the surface crumbles peat waste layer. The distributor provides two advantages: almost instantaneously removes odor and contributes to more efficient decomposition of organic matter by increasing the reaction area.
Current models are equipped with a hose for ventilation and draining liquid waste
- As a result of the decomposition of faeces produced gaseous products which require removal. For this purpose any conducted a separate ventilation pipe installation, or just made for natural ventilation hood.
- In small containers composting takes place without any additional effort. But if the reservoir volume is 30 liters or more, for enhanced decomposition should be added to the construction of a special pipe - the aerator.
Dispose possible and directly, but still highly desirable composting
Whatever the tank volume, it must be periodically emptied. Peat dry closets advantage is the possibility of using waste.
To this mixture is put in a compost pit where composting process continues for several years. At the output we get a good organic fertilizer!
Which toilet to buy?
If you want to provide a home dacha acceptable level of comfort, you can buy ready-peat bio-toilet. Fortunately, the market offers a variety of models with different characteristics.
Ekomatik - one of the most popular models
Overview of the most popular lines is given in Table
|Mark||Features||Estimated cost, rubles|
|Ekomatik (Kekilla Ekomatic, L & T Ekomatic)||Products manufactured by the Finnish company Kekilla different organizations of the license, but in fact, have the same structural scheme. Working at a peat compost, provide good utilization efficiency.
For efficiency it is desirable to attach a vent pipe and a hose for draining waste liquid.
|Simple models - about 12 thousand, modified -. 25 - 26 thousand.|
|Torfolet||A replica of the previous model, which since 2008 is produced in Russia. Constructively practically no different, utilization efficiency is comparable.
Among the shortcomings noted somewhat inferior quality adjustment items and less durable plastic.
|Biolan||One of the leaders in the segment, the main advantage of which is the extensive product line. It includes both compact models for indoor use, as well as devices for installation in outdoor unheated toilets.
We should also mention the model "Biolan complete set" system equipped separating liquid and solid waste fractions.
|16 - 17 and 60 - 75 thousand. depending on the modification.|
|Duomatic||Model dual reservoir for separate collection of liquid and solid waste. Product line includes products with different tank volume - from 50 to 160 liters. Suitable for use during the summer season.||20 - 60 thousand. depending on the volume.|
|Ekolet||The stationary structure with a reservoir 700 liters.
A huge plus - four-part design of the container, which allows you to fill it gradually, increasing the efficiency of composting.
The liquid waste is disposed of in a separate container, and then either merge or evaporate.
|from 150 thousand.|
The device "Duomatic" models with two tanks
"Ekolet" a four-part container large volume
Tips for Choosing
The determining factor in choosing a particular model is usually a dry closet price. But if finances permit, for a country house or garden is to choose the design with the optimal settings.
A device with additional components
When selecting such that it is desirable to orient features:
- The volume of the tank - the smaller, the more will have to empty the container and dispose of a mixture of peat and waste. Toilet bucket of 12 liters should be cleaned almost every day, and on the capacity of about 44 liters is enough for a family for a few weeks. It is important that you were physically capable of moving the container as turning over 70+ liters tank and do not overstrain, not everyone can.
The greater the capacity, the less often it needs to be cleaned
- The volume of containers for peat - the more, the less trouble with periodic filling. By and large, this parameter is not very important: you can even install a toilet in a separate box, if necessary, to hold composting material.
Container with peat must be large enough
- The presence of additional tools - a vent pipe aerator waste liquid tank. they all make use of the design more comfortable, but at the same time increase the cost of the toilet.
- Housing material - is important primarily for models designed for installation in unheated rooms. Typically for the production of toilet parts is used the low density polyethylene which is well tolerated by the low temperature. But the model of cheap plastic in the cold can become brittle. Yes, and sit on them uncomfortable.
Nodes that are worth paying attention to
- Dimensions extremely important for installation in a small country house or a standard booth on the street. If you buy a pre-built toilet cubicle, then the design will take into account enough of its linear dimensions.
Most of the models is compact
Incidentally, one of the most important parameters here will be to the height of the seat, which determines how comfortable will use the toilet. A minimum of 400 - 420 mm, since sit down on the toilet seat lower, and even more up to a very inconvenient.
How to make your own?
Peat biotoilets device for giving no different complexity. That is why many people prefer not to buy factory products, and to construct such toilets with their own hands. The obvious advantage of such structures is that they can be used where there is no access to even a simple septic tank like a cesspool.
The simplest bathroom can be equipped with even in a small room
Making peat toilets can be under two schemes. The first involves the use of the system in a room, the second - the installation of street inside the booth.
In this section I'll describe both algorithms, and will start with the "home" version:
- The first thing to do when designing a peat toilet at home - it is the capacity to choose. Since the hold-filled (even a half) tank in the room for a long time is not necessary, the optimal amount does not exceed 20 liters. The best choice - the so-called toilet-bucket, made of resistant plastic.
Such containers should be fine
- Then equip the room. Most often, we can restrict the release angle in a separate bathroom, as a certain level of privacy and isolation is still needed.
- Another important requirement - ventilation. Desirably the air holes are not limited to the ceiling and exhaust fan for toilets (100 mm - just enough). The use of this fan will allow at least partially solve the problem of odor.
Here's a good exhaust fan helps with odor
- If you have acquired a toilet bucket, it can be used without any additional accessories. But for other containers desirable to manufacture a toilet seat. For this purpose from the beam and bring down box planed boards without a back wall, which is installed on the floor. Height to seat must be a maximum of 450 - 500 mm, and the skeleton must bear the weight of at least 100 kg.
When selecting a weight characteristics need to focus on the size of the people who will live in the house. You may need additional structural reinforcement.
Scoop-toilet seat with a door in the outer wall
- The top of the box leaving a hole - it should be just above the container. Set on top of the hinged lid for the toilet - can be purchased at any store the sanitary.
- Radom put or hung on the wall of the reservoir for peat. By reservoir cord or chain fastened with a slight scoop, which will be used to hold composting material to the restroom.
Photo-equipped bathrooms in the country house
It runs the system is very simple:
- The container is filled with a mixture of peat bed approximately 2-3 cm.
- After each use, sprinkle a small amount of waste or peat torfosmesi.
- As the filling or just when you have free time shifts the box-stool, put forward the container and take out the waste in the compost pit.
- After use, wash the tank and return to place.
Using the package facilitates the process of recycling
In order to optimize the disposal process sometimes advise laid in the tank tight package of a biodegradable polyethylene. On the one hand - yes, it is more convenient to throw. On the other hand, the bucket still have to wash. In addition, even a biodegradable polyethylene composted for a long time, and not fully, because as fertilizer use waste is unlikely to succeed.
About these packages can be used for recycling
Option for streets
In street version has both pluses and minuses:
We design in the cabin has both pluses and minuses
- On the one hand, you can use the capacity is very large, so clean the toilet will have no more than once or twice a season;
- lack of odor in the house - is also an argument for placing dry closet on the street;
- On the other hand, even in the summer to go to the toilet on the street is not so convenient. And in the autumn and winter pleasure it becomes quite doubtful.
However, if you use the cottage only during the warmer months, this is the option you will do.
Instructions latrine equipment will be:
Drawing street embodiment of the measurement
- The chosen location dig a small pit, the depth of which is equal to or slightly less than the height of the container to be used for a toilet.
- From paving trench pit length of about 2 m. On the bottom of the trench fall asleep about 30-40 cm of gravel or other drainage material.
If you intend to drain, then place the toilet you need as far as possible from the accommodation, beds and water intake points.
- At the bottom of the pit set plastic container at 50 - 250 liters. At the bottom of the tank to make the holes, joined by a short nipple, bringing it into the drainage ditch. This tube will ensure draining waste liquid.
Variant with grating for draining liquid fraction
- Inside the container are covered by plastic grille with small openings. It will serve as a false bottom, a liquid permeable but impenetrable solid waste.
At the bottom slotted opening above the reservoir
- Above the pit with the installed capacity erecting wooden toilet, placing it on the ground fastened to the frame of the beam cross section of at least 50x50 mm. As an additional supports at the corners can be erected columns of bricks or concrete blocks.
- Dwelling for toilet are building in such a way that access to the container was secured from the rear wall. To do this, install a separate rear hatch, tightly sealed containers for composting.
- It also set the vent pipe diameter at least 75 mm which provide the hood gaseous decomposition products.
Mounting vent tube
- Toilet seat and other internal equipment to do the same, as in the case of in-house bio toilet.
Commode with a wooden lid
- Inside the tank is filled with peat filler (better to take a special, for dry closets). Also here you can put a bacterial culture that will provide a more efficient waste management.
This design has a number of modifications.
They simplify the construction process, but make it more labor-intensive services:
Variant without drainage with small capacity
- If you can not organize the drainage, it is necessary to make the capacity of the storage type, without separation of waste into liquid and solid fractions. In this case, I recommend taking a small reservoir, which can be taken to the compost pit on a regular basis, or, conversely, a large tank, designed to clean once a season.
A variant with a capacity under the toilet seat (no pit)
- For mobile toilet device can not dig a pit, and the capacity of 50 liters installed under commode. Booth itself in this case should be securely fastened to the ground, and the toilet seat is better to make collapsible - it is necessary, we will somehow remove the tank cleaning!
Having understood how the peat biotoilet Study the tips, you can choose the right model for your problem. In addition, a simple design can be made on their own. To do this, follow the recommendations in the text and video in this article, and if you have a problem - ask questions in the comments.