Drywall is a versatile material that allows you to create stunning design designs. With its help, you can implement such solutions, which are beyond the power of any other material. It is flexible plastic, therefore it is not difficult to create a triangular or trapezoidal shape from gypsum plasterboard. However, with all its advantages, sealing seams is an indispensable process, without which the usual joints can turn into terrible cracks. As a result, instead of a chic element being the main decor of the room, you can get a design of an unpresentable appearance.
- How and what to seal the seams on drywall: the rules of choice necessary for the operation of tools
- How to cover the gypsum board joints: preparatory work
- How to seal seams between drywall sheets: process description
- Gypsum board joint sealingWith your own hands: grinding joints
- Useful advices from professionals
- Working with gypsum cardboard: sealing joints( video)
How and what to seal the seams on drywall: the rules of choiceA, necessary for the operation of the
tools. No grouting of joints is possible without such an essential tool as a spatula. Each master chooses for work, such a spatula, which is convenient for him. It is more convenient for someone to cover up seams with a narrow tool, and someone - broad. The point is not this. The most important rule to consider when choosing a spatula is the flexibility of the blade. Advantages of the tool with a flexible blade - easy handling of hard-to-reach places.
Having decided with a putty knife, it's time to switch to the selection of the putty necessary for work.
Many masters in order to seal the seams, use only the finish. Of course, when processing the joints with a finish putty mix, the work will be completed much faster, but then there are risks of creating huge gaps between the drywall sheets.
. In order for joints to be jointed with each other to be very strong, it is better to use special sorts of putty. Especially, it concerns those cases when the surface of drywall sheet, in the future, will be subjected to painting. In the event that it is planned to cover the surface of the gypsum board with paint, the seams should be filled with a special solution designed for this purpose.
To date, there are two types of fillers used for grouting joints:
- Universal - start and finish.
- Special, which is based on alpha-plaster. Among the most well-known brands, I would like to mention the Knauf company Gypsum putty by Rotband.
In addition to the spatula and putty, you should take care of the purchase:
- Paper belts or reinforced meshes used for sizing;
- An electric drill equipped with a special nozzle intended for stirring the putty mixture;
- Special container, which is necessary for the preparation of putty;
- Angle. Sealing joints will be more qualitative;
- Sandpaper. It is useful for grinding seams.
If, however, the drywall is planned to be wallpapered, then the starting or finishing putties will be plenty, as the texture of the wallpaper is able to block small defects on the walls.
How to cover the gypsum board joints: preparatory work
Sealing is a responsible process, but before proceeding to it you should make sure that all the joints of gypsum board sheets are tightly screwed to the frame. If everything is in order, go to the next stage, namely: cleaning the surface of drywall from dust and dirt that appeared during operation. I would like to note that the durability of the construction depends not only on the quality of the sealing of the joints, but also on the cleanliness of the sheets of plasterboard.
Grouting joints between drywall sheets is a difficult, but still achievable, task. If you make every effort, even a beginner can overpower it.
already prepared in a specialized shop. Preparing the putty mixture is an important process that does not tolerate fuss. In a specially prepared container, you need to pour out the right amount of putty, fill it with water and stir with an electric drill to a uniform state. The resulting consistency should be similar to thick sour cream without lumps.
For each type of putty there is a certain cooking process. Do not be lazy. Reading the instructions, you can pick up important information for yourself, which will determine the speed of adhesion of the putty mixture.
Incorrectly prepared mixture, can lead to the fact that the grouting of the seams, made by yourself, will be of poor quality, as a result, you will get strong gaps between joints. After the putty mix is ready, you can proceed to grouting the seams.
How to seal joints between drywall sheets: process description
The grouting technology is simple enough, if you follow it you can achieve that the construction work will be quick and "painless".It is important only to observe certain rules, and not to deviate from the proposed scheme.
The algorithm is as follows:
- Application of a puttying solution. Seal the seam across the seam. Smears should be careful and accurate. The mixture is placed on the seam in such a way that the entire thickness of the GCR is filled.
- Excessive thickness on the surface of the seam is a prerequisite for a quality work. Excess thickness of putty mixture will avoid its strong drying. If the length of the seams is very large, then for convenience of work it should be divided into small sections.
- Application of reinforced tape or tape from above on puttying solution. The reinforced scotch should be drowned in the solution as deep as possible. This process allows you to make the seam more smooth, while avoiding the formation of cracks.
- Grouting the putty mixture with a spatula. Thus, it is possible to achieve an even and flat surface.
Following such technological work, the angles are processed, including.
Sealing of gypsum board joints with your own hands: grinding joints
After the putty dries, sanding the seams with sandpaper. If the grinding process is performed correctly, an absolutely smooth surface will be obtained at the exit.
For the greatest convenience, the wizard recommends using a spotlight illuminating the grinding places. With its help, the smallest irregularities and hillocks will not go unnoticed.
After polishing it is possible to lay several layers of putty mixture. This will help achieve a perfectly flat surface design. The walls are painted with paint or wallpaper at the last stage. It does not cause inconvenience due to a perfectly flat surface.
Useful advices from
professionals Finally, there are some useful tips from professionals, thanks to which you can prevent, at first glance, insignificant, but errors that can reduce all the work done to zero.
professionals. The professionals recommend:
- Even with all the rules regarding joint grouting, small cracks are possible. This is due to the fact that during the putty work in the room there were temperature fluctuations. Of course, at home it is quite difficult to achieve the invariance of the temperature regime, but it is worth trying, at least to minimize the risks.
- If there are wooden ceilings in the room, and plasterboard structures are fastened directly to them, the occurrence of cracks in the field of fillet welds is not excluded. In this case, the seismic activity of the walls is to blame.
- Some putty mixes, on the package, have the inscription: "They are intended for sealing joints without the use of reinforced adhesive tape".Let this inscription do not lead you astray. If you make a putty joint, without applying an adhesive tape, cracks can still occur. In this case, the manufacturer wanted to say that this kind of putty simply can not hold it.
This is all, you can begin to seal joints on gypsum board.
Working with gypsum plasterboard: sealing joints( video)
Now you know how to seal joints on plasterboard. As you can see, the work does not present great difficulties. The main thing is to choose high-quality materials, and also be tolerant and do not rush to finish work sooner.
Good luck to you!