In a greenhouse environment, melons require special care, which, besides watering and fertilizing, also presupposes the formation of bushes
First of all, for melons you will need:
- Soil, which must be warm in composition, Dense and contain a high level of acidity;
- Before planting, the soil must be well moistened and fertilized;
- Melons do not tolerate cold, so any effective heating system is required in the greenhouse;
- To ensure that the air stagnated in the greenhouse does not adversely affect the formation of fruits, the room should be regularly ventilated;
- When growing melons, it is desirable to use drip irrigation;
- To water plants it is necessary only after the upper soil layer dries up;
- For a melon it is necessary to prepare reliable supports which will be necessary at occurrence of fruits;
- When blossoming, it will be necessary to dress it with special products designed specifically for melon.
- Tying the plants is necessary, as it helps to avoid many diseases when coming in contact with the soil.
Sprouts need to be treated very carefully and carefully, especially during tying, pollination and other necessary work.
Cultivation of the crop can take place in a greenhouse with polycarbonate cover material.
Preparing a room for melons when growing in a greenhouse
It should be noted immediately that it is possible to grow melons only in a high greenhouse. The optimum height of the structure is 2 meters. To get a good harvest, you need to create favorable conditions under which the plant can quickly and efficiently form fruits. And this, in the first place, is a suitable soil.
Prepare a room for melons when growing in a greenhouse is very easy to work and do not require much effort
This will require:
- Fertilize soil using nitrogen and phosphorus additives, potassium sulfate, Or manure;
- The added wood ash will make the melon fruits more juicy and sweet;
- Soil should be well loosened so that it is soft and porous for better penetration of moisture into deeper layers;
- Before planting the plant, the top layer of the earth is peeled off, fertilizers, humus and hay are poured, after which they are abundantly moistened with hot water;
- The soil in the greenhouse is laid in its original place and covered with a dark material for heating.
The planting should be performed correctly, the generally recognized scheme is the arrangement in a row with an interval of 50-60 cm, between rows, while the distance of 70 cm should be maintained. 2 plants can be planted in one pit.
How to prepare seedlings for melon growing in a greenhouse made of polycarbonate
Agrotechnics planting melons requires careful preparation of seedlings. But first you need to decide what sorts are necessary. The most common greenhouse plants are:
To ensure that the seedling is not stretched, it is exposed to the south side, where it has enough sun, or is illuminated with lamps
- "Kolhoznitsa" - a variety that is not exposed to critical temperatures, has high density and sweetness, Fruit takes up to 3 months;
- Ripening variety "Dream of sybarite" ripens after 50 days, melon pulp is white, weight does not exceed 0.5 kg;
- "Cinderella" - this species gives a good harvest, fruits weigh up to 2 kilograms, maturing occurs in about 3 months.
In the middle strip, you can also grow such varieties as "Krimstar", "Altai", "Amber", "Golden" and many others.
For seedling use ordinary plastic cups with a diameter of 10 cm. The soil must contain fertilizers and humus. In each capacity is put up to 3 seeds.
The temperature in a room with seedlings should not fall below +18 degrees. The plants are illuminated for at least 12 hours a day. When 2-3 leaves are formed, the earth is fed. After 14 days, the dressing is repeated. Pinching usually occurs when 5 leaves appear. Planting seedlings in the ground greenhouse beds can only be after it warms up well.
The process of melon formation in the greenhouse
So long as plants are planted in fertile soil, they only need to be watered with warm water, but avoid overflow.
It is hardly possible to grow a melon without forming. During the whole summer, if the melon is not pricked, it forms vapors and there will not be any ovaries
It is necessary:
- Every 7 days fertilize the soil with nitrogen additives;
- You need to pinch plants only when 5 leaves grow;
- The soil should be gently loosened once in 2-3 days;
- As soon as the first ovaries have appeared, the feeding ceases, so as not to oversaturate the fruit with nitrates;
- It is required to tie the stems approximately on the 10th day, in this connection they establish trellises on which the plant begins to twist;
- Female flowers should be pollinated by a stamen of a male flower, completely separated from it, only in the morning, pollination is repeated after a week, if necessary.
To properly form a plant, it is necessary to conduct pasynkovanie - weak shoots should be cut, leaving the two strongest stems. Secondary shoots also pinch off the tip. After the ovary becomes the size of a fist, it should take about a week, after which it must be suspended to the trellis and carefully secured with a rope. To care for shoots is necessary constantly, only so you can count on a quality crop.
Recommendations for growing melons in the Urals
You can grow melon not only in the Middle belt, but also in Siberia and the Urals. To do this, it is important to choose the right sort of melon culture.
Cultivation in the Urals of such a culture is quite a troublesome business requiring compliance with the basic rules
In addition to "Kolhoznitsy" and "Cinderella" in this region, you can cultivate other varieties:
- Variety "Irokez"About 4 months, the weight of the fruit can reach more than 1.5 kilograms, can give up to 7 kilograms from 1 square. M of land;
- Early-ripening "Tamanskaya" variety ripens to 1.2 kg, in good conditions this process takes less than 3 months;
- "Pineapple" - this type of melon grows 3-4 months and weighs 1-2 kilograms.
Also cultivars in the Urals are suitable: "Dream of the Sybarite" and "Gold of the Scythians".
Features of cultivation of the crop is fertile, warmed soil with the addition of a small amount of sand. It is desirable to use water accumulators for heating. For this purpose, plastic containers are used. On one bush you can leave no more than 5-6 fruits and then, if the variety is small in weight.
Melon does not like strong moisture, so the soil should not be watered abundantly. Also, protect the shoots from the wind, the polycarbonate greenhouse is the best solution in this case.
Melon in polycarbonate greenhouse( video)
If it is true to approach the cultivation of the crop, provide it with constant and proper care, regularly monitor the shoots and conduct quality mulching, a good harvest will be guaranteed. A good whole melon, even if it is removed in an immature state, when stored, ripens itself, becomes juicy and sweet. And its fruits are extremely useful for health, eating it strengthens the nerves, helps with insomnia, improves the skin condition, provides the body with all the necessary vitamins.