Any ladder design regardless of its location provides bSafe and comfortable movement of people. That is why all its components - steps, platforms, fences, handrails, etc. Must comply with safety requirements, and be durable and easy to operate. Handrails for stairs, as an integral part of these building structures, provide comfort and safety of movement.
- Handrail for stairs: purpose and types
- Handrail height on the stairs: regulatory requirements
- Locking device for stairs with handrails in different interior styles
- Original handrails for stairs
- Wooden handrails for stairs:How to make and install with your own hands
- Convenient handrails for stairs( video)
- Details: handrails for stairs made of wood( photo examples)
Handrail for stairs:The values and types
handrail for stairs form an integral part of the enclosure( or handrails) ladder and serve during the ascent or descent of the support. As a rule, handrails are installed on the fence of the staircase. In this case, depending on the location of the handrail, the handrails are fixed either to the wall, or to the supporting staircases - pillars and balusters. In addition to the balusters, the space between the handrails and steps is still divided and filled with special filler elements that perform the enclosing function.
Depending on the type of ladder and its functional purpose, it is possible to manufacture handrails from the following types of materials:
- PVC, etc.
In addition, since handrails are supporting elements, the material from which they are made must have certain properties.
- The surface of the handrails must be smooth, solid, smooth or slightly rough, without burrs, cracks and sharp edges, So as not to injure the skin of the hands.
- Handrail material should not accumulate static electricity.
- Handrails should be pleasant to the touch.
As a rule, it is the wooden handrails, which have been handled accordingly, have such characteristics and are the most optimal for the manufacture of handrails.
In addition to the fabrication material, the handrails, like the staircase ensuring safe movement, must comply with a number of regulatory requirements.
Height of the handrail on the stairs: regulatory requirements
Statutory requirements for fences for stairs, part of which are handrails, are stipulated by a number of normative documents, in particular building codes and rules for residential multi-apartment and residential single-family houses.
According to the requirements of SNiP and GOST, the enclosures must have the following dimensions and constructions:
- The height of at least 1.2 m is in residential apartment buildings;
- The height is not less than 0,9 m( including for protecting the spiral staircase), if the house is single-family residential;
- To be continuous and equipped with handrails;
- To be designed to withstand horizontal loads of at least 0.3 kN / m.
In addition, for a ladder with a width of more than 1.25 m, fences must be installed on both sides. It should be noted that these norms do not apply to such types of ladders as inventory, admission, etc.
Thus, stair railings with handrails must meet a number of regulatory requirements - this ensures their safety and suitability for operation.
Staircase guard with handrails in different interior styles
A staircase in a multi-level apartment, house or apartment building is an integral part of the interior, sometimes even its zest. Of course, all the elements of the staircase - be it stairs, balusters or handrails - must be made in the same style.
Most often for the design of indoor interiors in different styles, these types of fencing are used:
- Metal ladder with forged fillers andRailings - for classical, Victorian, Mediterranean styles and the style of Provence.
- Metal enclosures are of a simple simple shape that complement the wall elements of the decor - for country style, retro, loft, etc.
- Stainless steel and glass for stair railings perfectly fit most avant-garde modern styles. In addition, the stainless steel is strong and practical in use.
- Wooden carved fences with a gold decor are organically combined with a baroque and rococo room environment.
- Massive wooden railings, the surface of which is subjected to minimal processing, look great in the style of rustic. But thin wooden fences well complement the rooms in the style of Provence, country, sea, etc.
- Handrails of various types of plastic are universal and allow you to create the most bizarre shapes, as well as not affected by moisture and temperature changes. Therefore, it is advisable to install polymer fencing on street staircases.
Handrails must correspond to the design of the ladder and at the same time fulfill its basic supporting function. The best combination is a metal solid fence and comfortable wooden handrails.
Original handrails for stair rails
It should be noted that in a multi-level apartment or house, the highlight of the interior is often the stairs. With the help of staircases it is possible to emphasize the main features of this or that interior style.
In addition, the stairs in the interior can perform the following functions:
- Visually enlarge the room( especially plastic stairs or ladders from glass);
- To become the center of visual perception due to the memorable decor;
- Bring a pleasant color variety to the design, etc.
In the design of stairs, you should choose such an embodiment that would harmonize with the interior of the room.
Wooden handrails for stairs: how to make and install with your own hands
In the case of a wooden staircase, the installation of wooden handrails and balusters with your own hands is carried out in several stages.
- First we mount pillars and balusters. The post is attached to the step from the back side with the step removed. For the installation of the column, self-cutters 10 * 80 mm are used, with which the column is attracted to the step. Then these elements are put together in their place, then the stage is fixed with screws. Using the level, the verticality of the post is checked. After that, the balusters are installed. The distance between the balusters and fence fillers should take into account the operation of the staircase by young children, etc. Thus, this value should exclude accidental injury to a young child.
- Balusters are fixed to the screws 6 * 80 mm. When installing balusters, washers are used. The installation of balusters is controlled by a level. Clamps are used to temporarily fasten the upper part of the balusters to the rail. Verticality of installation of balusters is checked by level. Further on the rail, pencil marks the places of fastening balusters, and on the balusters themselves there is a line along which the baluster will be cut at an angle. After that, the elements are dismantled and trimmed with the help of a face saw. For cutting balusters, it is best to use an end saw, since only with its use it is possible to obtain a smooth cut surface.
- After trimming, the balusters are again mounted on the steps with the help of screws and a rail, to which the upper part of the balusters was fixed. The correct installation of the vertical balusters is again controlled by the level. Further, a sub-pilot bar is fixed to which the rail will be mounted.
- Handrails are attached to the backplate of the screws from the back side with screws. The clearance between the handrail and the bar is not allowed.
During the installation of the wooden ladder fence, special attention should be paid to periodic control of the verticality of the installed elements.
Convenient handrails for stairs( video)
Ladder handrails are an integral part of the ladder design, ensuring safety and comfort of movement. They must comply with regulatory requirements for safety and interior design.