,I want something new and "fresh", and unusual and colorful wallpapers are just like that. The width of the material exceeds the usual 53 cm almost 2 times. They are 90, 110 and even 140 cm in width, and if you know how to properly glue meter wallpaper, you can only imagine how quickly this repair will take place!
Of course, for all the attractive new items have to give a round sum, that's the broad wallpaper often frighten ordinary people with the
ir price tags. But those who have already dealt with this material, unanimously affirm that every spent penny is worth it - the wallpaper looks homogeneous, harmonious, serve long and unpretentious in use.
It's time to consider the merits of meter wallpaper:
- Glue meter wallpaper is much faster and easier( owning technique) than standard.
- Drawing is more complete.
- There are fewer joints and seams.
- Wide wallpaper is produced only abroad with observance of special technologies and high quality.
- Despite the seemingly high cost of meter wallpaper, one roll will be cheaper than two rolls of conventional wallpaper of the same quality.
- Ideal for large rooms.
As usual, even the best quality products have their drawbacks, and meter wallpapers are no exception:
- To glue them alone is quite problematic, especially if you do this for the first time.
- Before gluing it is necessary to prepare the walls very carefully - the wide wallpaper looks good only on perfectly smooth and level surfaces. Otherwise, the docking of the adjacent wallpaper strips will be distorted.
- Despite the impressive width, the length of the wallpaper may not be enough, because of what you have to buy a roll, so you need to make accurate measurements of the area of the room, before you go to the store, especially for rooms with non-standard quadrature.
Preparatory work for
Before embarking on wallpapering and transforming your home, you need to go through several required steps - to prepare walls and make calculations. Without this preparation, any idea is doomed to failure, so carefully read the sections below.
How to calculate the expense of wallpaper
Correct calculation of the number of wallpaper for repair will help save an impressive amount and make the work clearly and quickly. Many for this purpose decide to use a special program - an on-line calculator for wallpaper. But even the best calculator will not help you with wide wallpaper, especially if you are lucky to own an apartment with a non-standard layout.
The calculation consists of several steps:
- You should start from the perimeter, calculating it according to the elementary scheme familiar with the geometry lessons:( length of the wall + length of the adjacent wall) x2.For example, if there is a wall 4 m long and a wall 3 m long, the calculation will look like this:( 4 + 3) х2 = 14 m.
- Measure each wall separately at the bottom edge, making corrections to the doorway cavities, depressions and projecting parts.
- Many "deduct" doors and windows, reasonably believing that they will not be used for wallpaper. But if you are not strong in the calculations and can not figure out how many window and door openings in total occupy, it is better to leave a little material, than in case of an error, you will have to buy another roll.
- Do I need to glue the wallpaper behind the furniture? Ideally, yes. In general, before pasting it is desirable to take out all the furniture from the room. But if you are talking about a bulky closet in the whole wall, which you are not going to rearrange the next few years, you can not burden yourself with unnecessary worries and costs.
- It is always recommended to leave a roll or half a roll in reserve. This is necessary in case of unplanned repairs, replacement of a piece of wallpaper( the child painted with a felt-tip pen, the dog scratched, etc.).If you do not leave anything in stock, then finding exactly the same wallpaper on the market can then be quite problematic.
When working with wide wallpaper, the most difficult and time-consuming task is not to pasting, but to prepare the walls. To proceed to this should be still when the ceiling is finishing, if you are dealing with a new building or doing a major overhaul in an apartment.
What is the preparation of the walls:
- Remove from all the sockets and switches of the cover, and carefully seal the holes with electrical tape or paint tape so that it can be easily removed after work.
- Remove all fasteners( nails, screws, screws) from the walls.
- Remove the old coating( wallpaper, paint, etc.).It is necessary to remove completely, down to the smallest pieces.
- If necessary, align the walls, covering the potholes and straining the tubercles. Dry the putty should be wiped with fine sandpaper.
- Without fail, even on ideally smooth and level walls, one or two standing primers should be applied. It increases the adhesion( adhesion) of wallpaper to the wall and significantly saves the adhesive. The primer clogs all the smallest holes in the wall, preventing the glue from soaking into it and ensuring a strong bonding of the wallpaper. Apply glue on a completely dry primer. Drying times vary and depend on the number of layers applied. For more information, see the primer pack.
If you have got an apartment with catastrophically curved walls, the alignment of which takes away a lot of effort, money and time, it makes sense to consider the option of plating the surface with plasterboard. In this case, you can "kill two birds with one stone" - create a perfectly flat surface and make a high-quality thermal insulation, which is especially true for modern apartments with thin walls.
Video how to glue wallpapers and properly align the walls will help you to work quickly and competently:
How to glue wallpaper: instruction
When all the preparatory work is behind, you should check and, if necessary, replenish your building arsenal.
For gluing a wide wallpaper, you will need the following tools:
- a wide brush or a flat construction brush with a stiff bristle for applying glue( some prefer to use rollers, but to start better with a brush);
- rubber roller for ironing wallpaper;
- ruler with a minimum length of 50 cm;
- simple pencil;
- construction plumb line;
- stationery knife;
- is a clean, dry rag.
To glue a wide wallpaper is best of all together or three, because with unaccustomed it is quite difficult to manage with large cuts of material.
The technology of gluing the meter wallpaper is as follows:
- Measure the length of the wall with a tape measure and calculate how many stripes of wallpaper will be needed to cover it.
- Make the layout of the first canvas. You should start from the window, moving deep into the room. At 105 cm from the corner, draw a vertical line from the ceiling to the floor, using a plumb line and ruler. Just in case, it is recommended to leave a couple of centimeters if the walls are not exactly level.
- When working in corners, leave allowances, which are then covered by a piece of cloth on the adjacent wall. At the same time, unsightly gaps will not form.
- Cut the necessary number of stripes for one wall, making a small allowance for a length of 2-3 cm.
- Lubricate the wall generously with adhesive throughout the entire width of the panel, slightly going beyond the marked boundaries.
- Since the first time to glue a wide wallpaper is better with a helper, one of you should hold the cloth over the top edge, climb up with it to the stepladder to the ceiling and attach the edge clearly to the ceiling line of the ceiling and the wall. The coincidence on the vertical border, outlined in pencil, should be supervised by an assistant.
- Smooth wallpaper to the wall with a dry rag or hand in a rag glove, moving from top to bottom and expelling air bubbles to the edges. In no case do not try to stretch the wallpaper horizontally, otherwise after drying you will find quite the wrong result.
- Place the following cloths close to the already pasted, applying them without overlap or gaps.
In most cases, one wall can not accommodate an equal number of strips, and it is necessary to cut the panel vertically. Then the wallpaper on the adjacent wall should be attached to the corner, overlapping the cut so that the slots do not come out, and the adhesive that has come out from under the material should be wiped off with a dry rag.
Surplus wallpaper( allowances for length) should be cut only after the board has dried completely, otherwise the sheet will likely shrink at the corners, and near the floor, crooked gaps are formed, which can not be masked even by a wide skirting board.
How to glue wallpaper to one
If it so happened that you could not get an assistant to paste a wide wallpaper, you can manage this job yourself. There is an opinion that non-standard wallpaper can be glued only with one or two assistants, but it is not. The width of the roll is more than 100 cm, and the range of human arms is 150 cm, so you can easily handle alone, dock the seams and align the panel.
The principle of gluing is exactly the same as in the case of working with an assistant. If the first time you failed to glue the canvas exactly, you can remove it and attach it to the wall again - dense material, as a rule, allows you to do this without damage to the structure.
Pasting hard-to-reach places
Places behind batteries, in corners and areas above doorways always cause difficulties, especially when it comes to wide wallpaper. To glue the panel behind the battery, you will have to cut the panel into several small parts. It is best to cut one sheet to make it easier to recreate the original pattern.
Make it so that the picture is fully matched, in such places it is quite problematic. And if an inexperienced person can still cope over the doorway, then you can do it for a battery only if you have the appropriate experience or design skills.
First you need to paste a piece of wallpaper on a free section of the wall, and then align it in a previously designated vertical. The second segment is glued from the opposite end of the battery, aligned as clearly as possible, and the seam is closed by the edge. To do such an operation is ideal from the first time is unlikely to work, so be patient.
Flizeline wallpaper will be the best choice for inexperienced builders - their position on the wall can easily be adjusted as much as 10 minutes after the sticker. But for this to become possible, it is necessary to use adhesive compositions without additives for rapid hardening.
Useful tips for beginners
Below are useful tips for beginners from professional builders who will help learn how to glue non-woven wallpaper on the wall correctly and reliably:
- Prepare walls as thoroughly as possible before gluing. Overdo it in this respect is impossible - the more ideal the surface will be, the more likely that the wallpaper will stick more smoothly and nicely.
- To improve the resistance of the adhesive, it is recommended that the surface be primed.
- It is extremely important to create suitable temperature conditions in the room to ensure uniform drying of the adhesive. Otherwise, the wallpaper sheets may become deformed, and the pattern at the joints will move.
- Do not allow drafts to form during drying and before drying.
- The humidity in the room should be minimal, otherwise the glue will dry for a long time, and the quality of work will leave much to be desired. In the worst case, high humidity can trigger the appearance of fungi and mold under the wallpaper.
- Adhesive vinyl meter wallpaper is recommended in the summer( before the start of the heating season).
- It should be borne in mind that behind the batteries the wallpaper will be exposed to a high temperature for a long time, so they can cringe and move away from the wall.
- In order to understand the process of gluing a wide wallpaper, it is enough to make a markup only for the first segment. But if you are not sure, it's better to be safe and mark out the entire room, immediately counting and cutting the roll into the right number of canvases.
- To inexperienced builders who want to cope on their own, it's better to begin acquaintance with the world of wide formats with non-woven wallpaper, as they do not need to be glued with glue( only the wall), and it's easier to handle them than with other species.
- If you bought non-woven wallpaper, purchase an adhesive designed specifically for them and recommended by the manufacturer.
- It is very convenient to use two ladders to ensure a uniform leveling of the fabric on both sides.
- Many inexperienced builders do not know how much time should pass after gluing before you can open the windows and ventilate the room. You should take into account the drying speed of the adhesive and the type of wallpaper, as some will last for a day, and the friend will dry for 3-4 days. Information on this can be found on the packaging of the adhesive.
- And the most important rule - do not allow drafts during operation, otherwise, be sure that you will have to re-do everything anew.
Metro wallpaper gradually ceases to be a strange novelty, and they can be found in almost any apartment. Other question, whether you will do repair yourself or would you prefer to pay the construction company? We hope that after reading this article, you will not have any difficulties with self-adhesive wide wallpaper.