Inaccurately painted floor or old coating with peeling paint spoil the view of the entire interior of the room. Therefore, if the owners have already started remodeling nt sq. artists, you can not leave the floor without updating. One of the most common ways to refresh the floor to today remains its painting, despite the emergence of numerous newfangled coatings.
Painting a wooden floor with your own hands
However, it should be noted that such a seemingly simple process, like painting a wooden floor with your own hands, takes on new forms. If before the traditional for this element of the house was the brown color of various shades, then in present time, many creative apartments owners go to bold experiments, applying all the colors of the rainbow, sometimes creatively combining them.
Other home owners prefer not to take risks, and do not change the old traditions. And adherents of ecological interiors, striving to make their dwelling with natural materials with preservation o
f their natural beauty, cover the wooden floors with transparent varnishes on a water basis or with toning oils.
However, , which would have a method of transforming the floor surface has not been selected, the wood covering should be carefully prepared for the application of paintwork materials.
For preparatory activities and directly for the paint application process, will require tools and materials, the quality of which will directly affect the appearance of the finish coat.
Tools and materials for wood flooring
Contents of the article
- 1 Tools and materials for wood flooring
- 1.1 Tools for work
- 1.2 Picking up materials
- 2 Preparing a wooden floor for painting
- 2.1 Preparing the old floor
- 2.2 Video: preparing the old floorwooden floor for painting works
- 2.3 Preparing a new floor
- 3 Painting a wooden floor with your own hands
- 3.1 Video: single-color staining process deevyannogo floor
- 3.2 Video: An example of the original painting the floor in the apartment
So, for the work will be needed the following painting and construction tools:
Main and tools - roller, brush, paint tray. The tray can have removable inserts
- A paint tray is required for maximum convenience when painting the main floor area with a roller. Do not try to replace the tray with 's containers, as in its design everything has been thought out for a comfortable work - it never capsizes from accidental jolt, and does chamfer on one side - inclined plane with corrugated surface, which helps to remove excess paint from the roller.
- The roller will help the run faster, as it immediately paints a fairly large area. In addition, it ensures the smoothness of the layers .It is best to buy a roller with a long handle - then it will be much easier and more convenient. When buying a roller, it is necessary to take into account the length of the pile on the - on the , it should be of medium length, otherwise the paint will lie unevenly.
- Brushes of different widths - they can not be dispensed with when painting the joints between the floor and the skirting boards, as well as the places inaccessible to the platen.
Adhesive tape-adhesive tape can be of different widths
- Painting Scotch tape is required if it is intended to apply a few shades of paint to the floor surface, as well as for sealing of those places of floor, wall or skirting that do not require such a design, but there is a high risk of accidentally touching the brush during operation. The paint tape is waterproof, therefore the becomes a reliable barrier for paints and varnishes of all types. When the tape is removed, absolutely clean surfaces remain under it.
Spatula will be needed to remove the old paint and to repair the
- surface. Rubber and metal spatulas will be needed to seal the slots between the boards during repair or preparation of the floor, and also to remove the layers of the old coating .
Knurled knots and knots can be cut with the
- steel chisel. The chisel becomes necessary for the expansion and cleaning of the old filling of the slots between the boards, as well as for chopping out stick knots or other small irregularities protruding above the floor surface.
The batching machine is necessary in preparation for painting large areas of the
- . The batching machine is required if the floor has an old varnish or when its surface has many large defects and requires alignment.
- A building hair dryer with nozzles will be needed when the plank floor has several layers of old paint coating. If the task is to make the floor even and aesthetic, then first you need to remove all these layers, and then move on to other preparatory measures.
We select materials
Materials for work will require putty and a primer on wood , wooden slats for sealing wide slots and, in fact, the paint itself. Very often, especially when using paints on an organic basis, an appropriate solvent will be needed - for giving the a paint of a tedious consistency and for cleaning the inventory and hands of after the completion of the work.
Putty for repair work on wooden floor
For sealing the slots in the floor , the is suitable for several kinds of putty. Each of the compounds has certain properties, which you need to know when choosing a similar material for work.
- Oil-based and oil-based fillers are made using glue, sifted chalk, drying oil and desiccant - substance , which promotes the rapid drying of the composition. However, despite the presence of the latter, this kind of material dries much longer than other putty. However, after full drying it is enough is reliable and has a long service life.
Perhaps the most convenient - acrylic putty
- Acrylic putty is made of talc and barite or gypsum with the addition of ocher and zinc white. It fills the cracks well, easily aligns and dries quickly enough. This kind of material is suitable not only for sealing gaps, but also for leveling small depressions if the floor is prepared for painting. When the solidifies, the remains elastic, so with slight deformations of the boards, the putty does not come out of the slots outward, but will take the desired position.
In order for the similar putty to hold reliably , before its application of the slot must be cleaned, washed and dried.
- Well is suitable for a wooden floor and homemade putty, made on the basis of carpentry glue with the addition of small wood sawdust. This material for fastening cracks quickly dries, easily is applied to and leveled. The service life of this material is long enough.
In addition to putty, floor preparation for drying boards or primer for wood - is required to protect the material from pests, as well as for light and even application of paint.
Paint for wood floor
After selecting the putty, you need to go to the - no less important procedure for selecting the required paint.
The choice of paints for the floor is quite wide
To date, a wide range of different products is available in construction shops, and there is always the opportunity to find the most suitable one. Therefore, , going for a purchase, you need to prepare well and know exactly what requirements should be met by the paint material.
- First of all , you need to take into account the humidity in the room where the floor is located, which will be covered with the chosen paint.
- Secondly, the takes into account the type of flooring wood and the condition of the boards.
- The third factor, about which needs to remember - is the load degree, which will fall on the floor covering, since the traffic intensity in different rooms can vary significantly. For example, in the hallway and in the kitchen, the mechanical effect on the floor covering is several times higher than in the bedroom or living room.
Most often, for painting floorboards use oil paint, which over decades its use has proven to be particularly resistant to wear. It is also important that this is perhaps the most inexpensive option. However, do not forget about the main its lack of - is a long drying out.
It is also often enough to choose the enamel composition - it is popular in that it dries quickly and gives the a smooth finish. It is worth such a paint is, of course, more expensive.
In addition to , the color of floor formulations uses impregnation and varnish on an alkyd and acrylic, water-soluble base. But they are suitable for covering a new or perfectly cleaned from the old coating of wood, which has a beautiful textured pattern and color.
If the area of the forthcoming painting is considerable, then one can not be limited to a can. After calculating the total floor , it will be possible to suffice precisely to determine how much paint is needed. Very often the manufacturer's recommended consumption per square meter of wooden floor is indicated on the factory packaging or in the instructions for use attached to the paint. If there is no such information, then it is possible to calculate the approximate quantity required with taking into account the of the fact that for one square meter leaves on average 200 - 250 gr.the composition for one layer.
If you plan to cover the floor in two layers, respectively, you need to buy the paint in 1.7 - 1.8 times more, than on one layer - for the first coating takes more material, than on subsequent.
It is worth paying attention to the batch number of the paint - it should be the same. Compositions of one part number , produced by at different times or on different lines may differ in shade and tone. What will not be visually noticeable in the store, then may appear on the painted surface of the floor.
Preparing a wooden floor for painting
Regardless of whether the old floor will be painted or new, newly laid, preparatory activities are needed in any case.
Preparing the old floor
If you are restoring an old floor that has a painted coating, then the will have to seriously to bring the boards almost to their original state.
Such an old floor will require serious preparation
The first step is to dismantle the old skirting boards and only then move on to further activities.
Next, we revise the fastenings of the boards with nails to the crate ( lags).During the years of operation of the floor, nails could rise above the level of its surface - , they must be drowned in the wood, otherwise they will complicate the work on further cleaning the floor plane.
- If a thin layer of paint is applied on the floor of the , then it can be cleaned using a grinding machine - belt, eccentric or disk type , which can often be rented in specialized stores, or you can invite a master to do the same,having its own apparatus. With this method of cleaning, you can not only get rid of the old coating and update the floor, but also align it to an absolutely smooth surface.
Manual belt sanding machine
- If the old floor covering consists of numerous layers of paint, then its first it is necessary , for example, using a construction hair dryer. After heating the of a certain floor area, the paint is removed with a spatula or a special scraper, which is usually included in the delivery of the hair dryer.
Removing layers of old paint using a construction hair dryer
- When the paint is peeled off and a revision indicates that no surface leveling is required, the surface will be cleaned with the hand-held .
- If an uneven floor, with uneven relief joints of boards, appears, then without a large the cycle machine is indispensable.
- After the sanding process, all dust and debris from the surface must be carefully removed. Manually this can not be done - you need a powerful( better - building) vacuum cleaner.
- Next, all the large and small cracks between the boards are embedded. Narrow holes are simply filled with with filler material, which is compared with the floor surface.
Filling of thin slots between boards
- Wide gaps, if necessary, slightly widened upwards. For them, are prepared rails, which narrow the wedge-shaped to the bottom of the along the entire length. Then, their side surfaces are covered with a thin layer of putty or joinery glue, and the slats are carefully driven into the openings of the slots.
Sealing of large slots using slats - wedges
- Overhanging sections of recesses after drying of adhesive are cut off by plane.
- After complete drying of all the repaired areas, the carries out one more surface grinding, which will finally smooth out any irregularities. Then, thorough cleaning and dust removal of is carried out, and you can proceed to the next stage.
- All floor surfaces must be treated with hot linseed oil or modern primer formulations. In this regard, it is more advantageous, of course, to use ready-made modern impregnations, since they solve two problems - work as an antiseptic and makes the surface smooth, giving it good adhesion qualities, that will facilitate the subsequent application of the paint. Any applied on the surface of the materials must be allowed to dry completely.
Video: preparation of old wooden floor for painting works
Preparing a new floor
With a good arrangement of new floors, boards are usually perfectly matched to each other, and crevices should not be formed, so this stage of work is immediately eliminated.
On the new floor, it is usually enough just to finish the grinding
However, for the floor surface to be perfectly smooth and look aesthetically pleasing, especially if you plan to cover the boards with transparent paints, you must necessarily sand its with a hand-grinder or machine .
The floor should be necessarily primed, and best of all - twice
Further, a flat surface is also covered with a warmed-up linseed oil or antiseptic primer, and allow it to dry thoroughly. A new plank coat is recommended to be primed in two layers, since the first of them is almost completely absorbed into the wood, and the second one will create an optimal surface for the brush and roller. In addition, high-quality priming will help to save paint, because its liquid components will not be absorbed into the tree.
Painting a wooden floor with your own hands
You can paint the floor in one color or use several shades for this, but somehow, the first layer that covers the entire surface is always solid. That's why we need to start the whole process of painting.
- Preparation of paint for work is its thorough mixing until smooth, as the clots and lumps will interfere with the smooth application of the material to the surface.
- In the process of working the paint must get on the hands and clothes, so you should provide a working suit, and on the hands wear rubberized gloves or well lubricate them with vegetable oil.
- Next, the paint is poured into the tray, then a wide brush begins to paint the floor along the walls, in places where skirting boards will be installed.
- Painting the entire floor around the perimeter, go to the painting of the entire floor area with a roller.
- After drying of the first layer of paint, skirting boards are installed on the joints of the floor and walls.
- If necessary, wooden skirting boards at the joints are smeared with putty, after which it should dry thoroughly. Spread the places as it dries neatly sanded emery paper.
- Next, if the walls are already pasted wallpaper or installed other decorative materials, on them, right along the skirting, attached paint tape. It is necessary to protect the walls from accidental ingress of paint.
- With a narrow brush, skirting boards are painted and left to dry. When the first layer of paint dries, the second coat is immediately applied.
- After the secondary painting of the skirting boards, the second layer is applied to the entire floor area.
- When the paint finally dries, provided that the floor was planned to be made monophonic, the entire surface is recommended to be washed with a mild soap solution - this will eliminate the residual tackiness of the freshly colored coating.
Video: the process of solid coloring of wooden floor
This can stop painting and start to equip the room with furniture. But, having shown imagination, you can continue the work by making the floor of two - or , even with the three-colored .Naturally, in order for everything to turn out aesthetically and accurately, it is necessary to create a sketch of the future "work" in advance. As an example, consider the option where three colors were used.
- As mentioned above, at first the entire floor is painted in one color.
- Next, you need to separate the floor areas that will be painted with a different color. This is done using a paint tape of a certain width .
- The pasted stripes not only clearly will highlight the staining areas in a different color, but will also cover areas that should not be affected.
Painting the area bounded with adhesive tape
- After drying the painted strips, the paint strip is removed, and the remains clearly a pronounced floor pattern that resulted from the use of different paint tones.
- But in the case under consideration the designer decided not to stop and added floors with a fine grid of white color. Similar( or some other) can be obtained using a stencil, which can be purchased ready-made, or manufactured independently, by drawing a drawing on whether transparent film and cutting out the necessary contour areas.
Drawing a stencil drawing
- For applying a small pattern, it is better to use a quick-drying paint, the is better than the acrylic , but even with it it is necessary for to apply fragments with exposure of certain pauses, because when rushing, it is possible to lubricate applied paint.
It turned out a very original painted flooring
After completing such a design floor design( such as in the figure or developed independently), you can make even the most ordinary wooden floor exclusive and original, the 's surprise in the is still its ingenuity.
You do not need to think that you can not carry a creative note in the process of coloring the polo in .Including fantasy and imagination, picking up a pencil and paper, you can come up with a real work of art, which then move to the floor of one from the apartment rooms.
Video: an example of the original floor painting in the apartment
By attaching the certain effort and having shown diligence, the work on the floor paint can be done on its own. In this process, the most important thing is that - correctly prepare the surface and carefully perform each of the paint application stages.